PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Betta Fish

Platyfish1999
01-21-2015, 07:28 PM
What do I feed bettas?I don't have that much money to buy special betta food.Could I give the betta tropical flakes?The food I have in mind is Aquarian Tropical Flake food complete nutrition.
Could I coax him into eating this?I just want a betta but I don't have enough money.

I know how to care for a betta it's just that I don't know what to feed them :)

Slaphppy7
01-21-2015, 08:04 PM
They are carnivores (meat eaters), but should accept a good quality flake just fine, as well as other foods...you don't need special betta food

Boundava
01-21-2015, 08:06 PM
You can also supplement with frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp or daphnia. I also feed my betta blanched hulled peas about once a month for their digestion.

fishmommie
01-21-2015, 09:51 PM
my betta eats flakes but he does like his little betta bits. A small can is very inexpensive and will last forever as you're going go to give him 3 - 4 bits a day - they are about the size of a pin head.

Platyfish1999
01-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks i will see how much Betta food costs in the pet store.If i cant afford it ill have to wait a little while and try to feed him flake food.

Thanks

Soot
01-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Thanks i will see how much Betta food costs in the pet store.If i cant afford it ill have to wait a little while and try to feed him flake food.

Thanks

In the UK a small box of "betta" food costs the same as a normal box of normal flakes. Considering how little one feeds, larger boxes go out of date long before they're finished anyway. I don't believe in all that marketing anyway and my bettas get the same mix of food that all the others get: bloodworm, mosquito larva, novotabs, vegetables and when I am lazy, standard tetra flakes.

Do you have all the other equipment for your fish already? Food is probably the cheapest element of getting a betta.

Platyfish1999
01-22-2015, 03:47 PM
I have everything else for the betta,filter,heater and cycled 14 gallon tank(cycled for a year an more)

Ilovebettasbk11
02-20-2015, 04:36 AM
I feed mine omega one betta buffet best food ever

taytay
02-20-2015, 09:28 AM
I feed mine small floating pellets and blood worms once a week also a pea now and then, I leave one day of the week where I don't feed them which lets them get rid of everything in their system

rheannon
02-20-2015, 09:31 AM
Don't give them flakes they give them SBD I give mine a pea one a week as well as pellets and bloodworms as a treat :)