PDA

View Full Version : My Male Betta Didn't Make It

metweezer
01-16-2015, 04:38 PM
I couldn't locate him in my QT tank this morning. I started looking inside my decorations and he was cramped inside a pagoda. He never did eat and he lasted just 8 days. He never did appear comfortable. I don't know if I should get another (but not from petco) or just leave the tank alone. :nutkick::ariel::teareye:

Slaphppy7
01-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Sorry for the loss, it's never easy

fishmommie
01-16-2015, 04:49 PM
I'd take the fish and the receipt back to petco and get another. I've actually had bettas from petco that lived a long time.
It's always a crap shoot with bettas. Or have them give you credit for food then go somewhere else for a betta if you don't feel comfortable getting another one from them.
Look at it this way: for 8 days, he had a much better life than he did when he was living in that little tiny container.
And if you get another one you're saving another betta from that horrible life.
Your tank is already cycled, right? It's all set up. I'd give it another go.

Slaphppy7
01-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Good advice from Cindy, try again

Keep in mind, EVERY betta purchase is a rescue, IMO

Boundava
01-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Yes, I agree with Cindy too, all of my bettas have been from Petco...never had a problem with them, had some go 7 years.

metweezer
01-16-2015, 08:20 PM
I'd take the fish and the receipt back to petco and get another. I've actually had bettas from petco that lived a long time.
It's always a crap shoot with bettas. Or have them give you credit for food then go somewhere else for a betta if you don't feel comfortable getting another one from them.
Look at it this way: for 8 days, he had a much better life than he did when he was living in that little tiny container.
And if you get another one you're saving another betta from that horrible life.
Your tank is already cycled, right? It's all set up. I'd give it another go.

I have already disposed of the betta. You always wonder how these pet stores take care of their bettas. They always look near death in their tiny plastic bowls. I guess their water should be changed everyday, right? Thanks for the advice from you and others. I do love bettas. I guess I'll get another.

Slaphppy7
01-16-2015, 08:23 PM
I guess their water should be changed everyday, right?

Absolutely

Do give another a chance at a nice life

fishmommie
01-16-2015, 10:10 PM
When you were asking if a betta's water should be changed every day I'd say yes if you have it in an uncycled tank.

Was your tank cycled? Had you checked your water parameters? Ammonia? Nitrites? Nitrates. I seem to remember you had another thread about this guy not eating. but you had him in a fully cycled tank, right?

metweezer
01-16-2015, 10:31 PM
When you were asking if a betta's water should be changed every day I'd say yes if you have it in an uncycled tank.

Was your tank cycled? Had you checked your water parameters? Ammonia? Nitrites? Nitrates. I seem to remember you had another thread about this guy not eating. but you had him in a fully cycled tank, right?

Yes, my tank was cycled and all the params were spot on. What I was referring to about new water every day was the pet stores. I was wondering if they changed the betta water every day. I guess that even if they do, there must be stress on the fish with all their water being changed daily.

fishmommie
01-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Great. Got cha.

Until you get a new betta (or whatever you're going to do) do you have other fish in the tank? If not, you'll need to dose ammonia so you don't lose your cycle.
Then the day before you get the new betta (if that's what you do :o) check your parameters and make sure you've got 0 ammonia and nitrites, do a huge water change, then add the fish.

metweezer
01-16-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks Cindy, will do.

gronlaura
01-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Sorry about your betta. And I agree, give another one a chance at a good life.

SueD
01-17-2015, 01:12 AM
But maybe take that pagoda out of the tank!

metweezer
01-17-2015, 04:17 AM
But maybe take that pagoda out of the tank!

LOL. It's already gone.

Slaphppy7
01-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Nice day outside, you taking a trip to the LFS?

metweezer
01-17-2015, 05:30 PM
I think i'll give it a day or two. I'll check my params and do a WC first.

Slaphppy7
01-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Good plan.