PDA

View Full Version : Bael - update with rescaped tank

Soot
12-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Bael, my betta, is doing very well. He had a bit of fin rot in the summer; not sure how it started as water params were fine, but fins are all growing out nicely after more frequent WC. Maybe I should have changed the water more often while the weather was hotter?

Posing at the top of his tank - wherever you are, Bael follows! He is such a cheeky, demanding fish, the perfect desk tank companion!
http://gallery.spak.org/d/27156-2/Tank+top.JPG

Just waiting for all the plants to grow up now, loving the rescape and so does Bael!
http://gallery.spak.org/d/27165-2/S2960008.JPG

afro123
12-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Absolutely gorgeous:)

Soot
12-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks - he likes to tangle himself into the plants at the top of the driftwood and come flying out if food arrives (or if his little platy friends dare approach his nest -- they are only in there for a friend for grow-up as they are maiden females that she doesn't want mixed with her others)

showmebutterfly
12-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Lovely tank and betta!

Slaphppy7
12-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Bael's a lucky guy, beautiful tank.

fishmommie
12-12-2014, 04:26 PM
another beautiful tank and betta. If you added a couple snails (apple or nerites) they would most likely take care of that pesky algae for you :o)

Soot
12-12-2014, 04:44 PM
another beautiful tank and betta. If you added a couple snails (apple or nerites) they would most likely take care of that pesky algae for you :o)

Thanks, I've been considering some nerites - it doesn't get too much algae, but on the crypts as you can see there is a fine covering as it's my office desk so the front of the tank does get hit my direct sunlight in the morning. I have a 5-inch "black devil trumpet snail" in there, but he is a digger, which is great for chomping on detritus and turning over the sandy substrate but not so helpful for licking up any algae (which he was sold as). In my big tank I have these snails as well, and they properly uproot the grass argh!

fishmommie
12-12-2014, 04:54 PM
I hear you. I have a black devil snail too - and I won't see him for weeks at a time. just about the time I figure he's dead, he'll pop up again. But I rarely see him on the glass. he's a pretty cool guy!

Warning about the nerites if you've never had them: they will lay pin head sized eggs on driftwood and even on the glass. The eggs don't hatch but they can be annoying. You absolutely cannot remove them from driftwood and it's very difficult to remove them from glass as well. I don't mind them because they do so much for the tank and I figure it's a sign that they are in good health and so is the tank.

Thanks, I've been considering some nerites - it doesn't get too much algae, but on the crypts as you can see there is a fine covering as it's my office desk so the front of the tank does get hit my direct sunlight in the morning. I have a 5-inch "black devil trumpet snail" in there, but he is a digger, which is great for chomping on detritus and turning over the sandy substrate but not so helpful for licking up any algae (which he was sold as). In my big tank I have these snails as well, and they properly uproot the grass argh!

Slaphppy7
12-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Warning about the nerites if you've never had them: they will lay pin head sized eggs on driftwood and even on the glass. The eggs don't hatch but they can be annoying.

I'd love some nerites for the 29G, the horned ones are really neat....but the thought of all of these eggs is off-putting for me...

Soot
12-12-2014, 05:01 PM
I hear you. I have a black devil snail too - and I won't see him for weeks at a time. just about the time I figure he's dead, he'll pop up again. But I rarely see him on the glass. he's a pretty cool guy!

Warning about the nerites if you've never had them: they will lay pin head sized eggs on driftwood and even on the glass. The eggs don't hatch but they can be annoying. You absolutely cannot remove them from driftwood and it's very difficult to remove them from glass as well. I don't mind them because they do so much for the tank and I figure it's a sign that they are in good health and so is the tank.

That is good to know ... I will have a think over the Christmas break lol. If the algae stays at its current level, I don't mind it, adds a bit of realism. The guest platy ladies like to peck it at as well, so I don't know if there will be more of the green stuff once the ladies go home to their new breeding tank? They'll be here until Feb I reckon as my friend wants them big and healthy and is also growing a male out somewhere for them.

Boundava
12-12-2014, 05:12 PM
I have nerrites and I don't really mind the eggs, they are so beautiful and so good at getting algae that I can ignore the tiny white grains of sand in the tank.

Slaphppy7
12-12-2014, 05:16 PM
I haven't completely rulled out the nerites...this is my daughter's tank, and she loves snails, so I may just have to grin and bear the possibility of all of the eggs.

Are nerites hermaphroditic?....if not, and we could pick out males only, that would be great, lol

afro123
12-12-2014, 06:18 PM
yes they are hermaphrodites.
Have you considered ottos?

SueD
12-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Of the 3 nerites I have, the olive seems to be the worst with the eggs. Although I've read they may be the best for the algae. My red spotted has not put out any eggs, and the brown striped has put out only a few. Like others, I can live with these as they are really good for some types of algae.

Slaphppy7
12-12-2014, 07:56 PM
yes they are hermaphrodites.
Have you considered ottos?

She hasn't mentioned them for this tank, no...but that could always change

Of the 3 nerites I have, the olive seems to be the worst with the eggs. Although I've read they may be the best for the algae. My red spotted has not put out any eggs, and the brown striped has put out only a few. Like others, I can live with these as they are really good for some types of algae.

Thanks Sue...I need to see some pics of you guy's with nerites egg scatterings

RiversGirl
12-13-2014, 01:48 AM
Gorgeous tank, Soot. You have one fortunate Betta!