PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Shelf

osyris
12-08-2014, 02:43 PM
I just recently got my Betta in his new 37 gallon tank. He seems happy, but I think I can do better. All of the plants and decor are at the bottom of the tank, so he has to swim down quite a ways to interact with the environment. What I want to do is figure out a way to put a shelf inside the tank, where I could have a little cave and a few plants sitting on it so he doesn't have to dive so far down the tank for a rest or to explore something.

I was thinking like a corner shelf for in the shower. Something like this:

Do you think something like that would work/be safe for the aquarium?

Slaphppy7
12-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Something much simpler and easier would be one of these...our betta loves his:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/ornaments/zoo-med-trade-betta-bed-leaf-hammock-zid36-17529/cat-36-catid-300071

osyris
12-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I have one of those for him too, and he does hang out there. I am just looking for a way to elevate some of the other decor so he doesn't have to swim down so far to explore and maybe break up the current in the tank a bit near the top.

Slaphppy7
12-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Then that shower caddy thing may work ok

fishmommie
12-08-2014, 04:27 PM
you might also try some floating hornwort. I've seen our betta wiggle his way into it and lay on the network of stems

And BTW - it's really cool that you're so concerned about his best interest. :o)

RiversGirl
12-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Would one of these -- with perhaps some Java Moss -- suit his purposes?
http://www.hanaquatics.com/moss-ledge/

osyris
12-08-2014, 06:12 PM
The moss ledge is cool too :) I think I will try each of the suggestions as well as a shower shelf for a piece of shelter out of the current.

osyris
12-08-2014, 09:19 PM
I've done some reading on having plants in tanks. Would hornwort, java moss, etc. survive in my tank? I have 5000K LED lighting and indirect view of an external window.

Triton
12-08-2014, 09:22 PM
those 2 plants require little light, you'd be fine. Hornwort explodes under heavy light (just learned that one myself LOL)

osyris
12-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Well, I've ordered the 2 shelves and the plants so I will post again when I get everything setup and working :)

fishmommie
12-08-2014, 09:45 PM
word to the wise on the plants: check with whoever you bought them from to see if they are guaranteed to be snail free. If not, you may end up with pond snails or Malaysian trumpet snails in your tank - they will ride in on the leaves and stems and roots.
Pond snails can be dispensed with fairly easily. MTS - not so much. Once you get them in your tank, you've got them for life.

Triton
12-08-2014, 10:02 PM
I usually recommend dipping plants to try to prevent snails, even if the seller claims they are snail free, there are always slip ups

RiversGirl
12-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I usually recommend dipping plants to try to prevent snails, even if the seller claims they are snail free, there are always slip ups

and -- for the record -- your recommended dip solution, please?

Triton
12-08-2014, 10:18 PM
It's a peroxide and water mix, not sure the ratio off top of my head

RiversGirl
12-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Thank you.

fishmommie
12-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Thank you.

I've used a bleach/water 1to9 ratio. But you don't soak them. and use only on the hardy plants. Hornwort is a problem with bleach no matter how careful I've been, it kills it.
Will peroxide work on hornwort, Chris?

CarpCharacin
12-09-2014, 03:51 AM
I just recently got my Betta in his new 37 gallon tank. He seems happy, but I think I can do better. All of the plants and decor are at the bottom of the tank, so he has to swim down quite a ways to interact with the environment. What I want to do is figure out a way to put a shelf inside the tank, where I could have a little cave and a few plants sitting on it so he doesn't have to dive so far down the tank for a rest or to explore something.

I was thinking like a corner shelf for in the shower. Something like this:

Do you think something like that would work/be safe for the aquarium?
Thw shower caddy should work as long as it is not mold/mildew resistant.

afro123
12-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Pic of the tank?
Pleeease??

Boundava
12-09-2014, 02:15 PM
I've used a bleach/water 1to9 ratio. But you don't soak them. and use only on the hardy plants. Hornwort is a problem with bleach no matter how careful I've been, it kills it.

I have used peroxide when treating BBA, and salt when dipping plants. I found this site useful;

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfishblog/2011/07/20/dipping-plants-to-eliminate-snails/#.VIcDTipxnq4

RiversGirl
12-09-2014, 02:21 PM

A bleach solution was what came to mind for me, too. Thank you very much for sharing your experience!

I have used peroxide when treating BBA, and salt when dipping plants. I found this site useful;

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfishblog/2011/07/20/dipping-plants-to-eliminate-snails/#.VIcDTipxnq4

Thank you for that link! It is an interesting article.

fishmommie
12-09-2014, 03:27 PM

This link has great info. I'll still caution you to be careful of the hornwort. I used a Potassium Permanganate dip, for example on mine and it killed it. I'm thinking the salt dip would be the best option for the hornwort.

Triton
12-09-2014, 03:34 PM
I've actually never tried dipping hornwort, but I do know you can start with the tiniest piece of the stuff and in the right conditions it takes OVER lol, so you could just take a few inch piece, look it over with a fine too comb and toss it in

Boundava
12-09-2014, 03:46 PM
When I bought a bunch of plants from my LFS I did the salt dip and it worked great. Just keep the roots out of it, and I actually rinsed it in treated water (water with a drop/two of prime) before I put it in my tank.

I had bettas in my large tank before and they loved swimming around and would lay in all of my plants. I have tiger lotus and would leave some leaves at the mid point (or higher) and they would lounge on it. Just because they seem to sit on the top a lot doesn't mean they don't equally like the bottom of the tank. If you have the right filter (meaning little current) and low current in your tank then they can get around very well. I had a King and a regular female and they preferred the bottom of the 29 gallon to the top; except when it came time for feeding of course! :hmm3grin2orange:

fishmommie
12-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Great link

Boundava
12-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks, after reading that post where that poor girl's tank was infested with hydra...I wanted to make sure that my new plants had no pond snails or hydra so a searched for alternative dips and found that site. I don't like using harsh chemicals like bleach, so when I saw the salt option I used it and I have no pond snails...now if it would work on the Malaysians....:scratchheadyellow:

osyris
12-09-2014, 06:03 PM
I have a few small plants in the aquarium now. I checked them carefully before putting them in, but in the future I will definitely try dipping them :)