PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Betta Health Issues

aquaalex
11-30-2014, 02:14 AM
I've had my betta for almost a year now and he was a nice blue color, but not navy, when I got him. He lived happily in a smaller gallon or gallon and a half bowl for several months with regular water changes and all.

I put him in a very small (1/2) gallon tank. I know this is too small but it was temporary. I believe some decorations may have scratched his fins or something because he got a few scraggly fins, but he is a halfmoon with ALOT of fin material so I wasn't concerned. Soon after I moved him into the new 10 Gallon tank with a good bit of gravel and began cycling it.

His fins became rapidly ragged, but not black, and he didn't have any other indicators of fin rot. I assumed it was fin biting due to stress or change or boredom, whatever. He also became lethargic and clamping fins and doing the "gasping for air then retreating to the bottom" thing like it was ammonia poisoning. I was changing the water at about 50% every 2 days and doing 70% on fridays for about 2 weeks so I can't imagine ammonia was high- especially in a 10G with only one Betta. He got so bad I decided to quarantine him.

Now it gets exciting. He was in a gallon bowl (with no heater, that worried me but I wanted to do 100% Water changes) with some salt and a week treatment of betta fix. His gasping and lethargy cleared up and he's eating well, but his fins aren't healing!

He has begun changing color, becoming grey where his fins met his BODY, not the edges of the fins like fin rot. They've gotten almost translucent recently and I noticed a slight red tint when I moved him to my window temporarily and the sun brightly illuminated his fins. When I shine a flashlight you can see a slight bit of red through the grey colored bits of fin that are (again) near the BODY not near the edges of the fins.

I'm just wondering what the deal is! These symptoms of color change almost make me thing they are ammonia burns, but these occur near the gills generally right? Maybe stress and and a bit of an infection? (I'm not going to buy antibiotics besides the betta fix, I feel like they're overpriced and worry that he may have a bad reaction to them since they aren't something betta fish bodies evolved to process).

He seems happy and healthy from his behavior, he's swimming well and eating normally but I'm still worried about possible tail nipping and his weird color changes- especially the red. I'll move him back to the cycled 10G tank (it's had time to cycle since) and hope he gets better since this will be clean and more stable than doing 100% water changes every other day in the quarantine bowl, it seems not to be helping anyway, and it will be heated. Hope I can have some answers finally if anyone has experienced this before or knows what I'm dealing with. It seems like an interaction of two problems to me, since none of the traditional diseases like fin rot or ammonia poisoning seem to fit.

TL;DR
1: Betta in bowl, happy.
2: Betta in new 10G heated tank, uncycled but doing 50% changes daily
3: Fins become ragged (no black indicating fin rot) and gasping and lethargic, move to quarantine tank
4: Fins don't heal, becomes grey near point where fins meet BODY, slightly red when bright light shines through slightly translucent fins
5: Aquarium salt and betta fix treatments make him act happy, but red color and ragged fins remain (maybe tail biting) Can't figure out how to fix. Will move to cycled 10G unless someone stops me in the next 48 Hours and do water changes.

Hope to find some answers to make my betta thrive, since the internet hasn't given definitive answer yet.

Cheers!

Cliff
11-30-2014, 03:42 AM
What have your water parameters been at, and how have you been testing them? How have you been cycling the 10 gallon after moving your betta out of it ?

When your water parameters are off, this can lead to other things like fungal or bacteria infections

Posting a few pictures would certainly help here as well.

aquaalex
11-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Tried to upload a picture to imgur. He was in an uncycled tank but I was changing water daily at 50% so i don't think it could have been ammonia poisoning but I wasn't testing. Now it's cycled with all the proper parameters.

http://m.imgur.com/PpQZMIw,euM9O4L
Note the grey if you can see the picture. I'll try again if it doesn't go I'm on mobile now.

Cliff
12-01-2014, 02:31 AM
I would still guess you are dealing with something that was brought on my water quality. Depending on they type of surface adgitation combind with the salt and meds, you could even have low oxygen levels as well.

It's hard for me to tell what is going on with your fish by the pic that was posted. Maybe try googling pics of bacteria infections along with fungal infections

Just in case anyone else has some ideas, I have inserted the you pic below

http://i.imgur.com/PpQZMIw.jpg

Cliff
12-01-2014, 02:31 AM
I would still guess you are dealing with something that was brought on my water quality. Depending on they type of surface adgitation combind with the salt and meds, you could even have low oxygen levels as well.

It's hard for me to tell what is going on with your fish by the pic that was posted. Maybe try googling pics of bacteria infections along with fungal infections

Just in case anyone else has some ideas, I have inserted the you pic below

http://i.imgur.com/PpQZMIw.jpg

aquaalex
12-01-2014, 04:06 AM
I had some pretty good surface agitation going on with an HOB filter, I kept the water level slightly lower so it would do this. I know the current would usually annoy bettas but I have a massive piece of drift wood and a few other things and he never struggled against it and he had plenty of space without current.

Thanks for the suggestions though I'll start looking for some other types of maladies it could be.