PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my Betta???

aros2
11-21-2014, 08:43 PM
My poor betta Hammond has an odd growth on his fin. It's Y shaped, and stems from the base of his fin. He is not able to close that fin, or use it when swimming, so it just sticks out to the side, with the Y-shaped growth sticking out of it. At first I thought it was a defect, but it seems to be larger than I remember it, and upon looking at pictures I took when I first got him, there was nothing there before. Can someone please help me figure out what is wrong? And, how to fix it?379133791437915

Slaphppy7
11-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Almost looks like a fungus to me...what are your water parameters?....how often do you do water changes, and how much do you change each time?

aros2
11-21-2014, 08:55 PM
I have him in a 2 gallon bowl heated to 78 degrees. I change out a half gallon every other day, and a full change weekly.

I know that it has grown, but it is the same color as his fin/body, so I was not sure if it is a fungus or was a growth.

Slaphppy7
11-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Yeah, it looks more like a growth in the 2nd 2 pics....I'm afraid I have no clue what that could be.

Maybe look into treating him with Bettafix?.....and 2 gallons is really to small to keep any fish in, very hard to control water params with such a small amount of water.

bcarrot
11-21-2014, 09:29 PM
I know anchor worms have forked tails like that. Might be something to consider.

aros2
11-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I just put some bettafix in his bowl last night. How often should I use it? I am very new to keeping betta's, Hammond is my first. I have had him for about 2 months now, and have been trying to learn as much as I can. I got him as a gift, and fell in love with him. I used to keep fish in a 27 gallon tank when I was 10-15, but my Dad didn't really teach me how to properly maintain the tank, and the most I could ever kept alive was goldfish. So I only know the very basics.

aros2
11-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Oh wow, after looking it up, it does look just lik anchor worms! How do I treat it!?

Slaphppy7
11-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Just do a Google search for treating fish with anchor worms, lots of info out there.

Good job to bcarrot for recognizing what it is.

aros2
11-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Well, I found that basically it needs to be removed before it lays eggs. I was able to get him into a small dish and perform fishy surgery :'( I was able to remove it from the base with tweezers (and I hate touching fish, it freaks me out. I love them so much, but I just. can't. touch them.), and I was suprised at the bulbous head that was pulled out. So hopefully, he is able to recover now :( Thank you for your help bcarrot and Slappy7

Now I just hope he gets better soon :(

gronlaura
11-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Get him a nice 5 gal (minimum) or 10 gal (even better) tank. With good, clean water, he would then be sure to recover.

aros2
11-21-2014, 10:18 PM
gronlaura

I am moving in a few weeks, so I don't want to set up a full system just yet. I was hoping that I could keep him alive in a bowl until I move and can get him all set up! My boyfriend got him for me as a gift, not realizing the time/upkeep/setup it takes. I'm finishing my last semester of college, so as soon as I move out, I want to get started again.

gronlaura
11-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Good. Then for now, really clean water is the key.

bcarrot
11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
How's is the little guy doing since removing the worm?

CarpCharacin
11-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Oh wow, after looking it up, it does look just lik anchor worms! How do I treat it!?

A good thing that you can do along with medication is called salt therapy. It worked on my ranchu goldfish. Get a small 1 gallon container and fill it with conditioned water. Then add a half cup of aquarium salt and put your betta in for about 1 minute. It is what the vet told me to do when my ranchu goldfish had a rare parasite along with a very bad bacterial infection. The salt helped along with the antibiotic shots the ranchus got.