PDA

View Full Version : friends for a betta

sid101
11-21-2014, 12:05 AM
I have a 5.5 gal tank with a good ammount of plants, right now there are 3 black skirt tetras and a pair of dwarf gouramys in there, everything has gone great, I've got the tank well planted with a little wood but I just see this tank and think "this whould be a gorgeous betta tank just like this", so I am taking the fish to a client's aquarium tomorow and buying a betta, because of the sizeI am not sure about what to put in it with him, cardinals? neons? what do you think? what whould you advice?

By the way this whould not be my first betta although I admit it has been a looooong time.

Thak you.

Slaphppy7
11-21-2014, 12:53 AM
Shrimp and a snail would work.

fishmommie
11-21-2014, 01:39 AM
I agree with Slap. A 5.5 is pretty tight for more than a betta. get a nice apple/mystery snail or add 2 or 3 nerites snails. they are really pretty and help with algae if that's ever a problem.

Glad you rehomed those other fish BTW. wow. that was a recipe for disaster :o)

Boundava
11-21-2014, 04:07 AM
I agree with Slap. A 5.5 is pretty tight for more than a betta. get a nice apple/mystery snail or add 2 or 3 nerites snails. they are really pretty and help with algae if that's ever a problem.

Glad you rehomed those other fish BTW. wow. that was a recipe for disaster :o)

I agree snails are a good addition-especialy the nerite as they are phenomenal in algae removal, but a mystery is good with uneaten food and moderately good with algae. Shrimp with betta...no, not so much-the betta will eat the shrimp. My sister has a Fluval SpecV which homed a betta and nerite snails and some $60 worth of cherry shrimp that became the most expensive snack the betta had the pleasure to enjoy. I wouldn't recommend any shrimp at all. We also tried ghost shrimp in our other Fluval 4 gallon because LFS said our other betta won't see them, at $0.49/ea it was a less expensive snack-but eaten they all were!

Larger shrimp like wood shrimp need a stronger current than should be in a betta tank. Otherwise they will starve and be roaming your substrate trying to find leftover food.

If you really want shrimp the 5 gallon would make a good small shrimp tank with cherry or crystal, or tiger. you may have to change the substrate to be small shrimp friendly. You can also add the snails to the tank to help with uneaten food/algae.

sid101
11-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Thank you for your responses, actually those fish were in a 10 gal from my niece but she moved to Spain so "the uncle who works withs aquariums" kept it, it was actually way worse, somehow they had a convict!!! i took her to a friend who loves them and has many tanks in his house, he tried to put her with a male and SHE BEATED THE $%&#&#% out of him!!! (im gessing because of so much time in such a small tank her agresion levels were on a peak, she has calmed a lot since for what he tells me.

I have to agree with Boundaba Bettas like "the good stuff" and any small shrimp are just too delicious for them to pass, whould look awesome tho, but I have seen it happen before :/ .

Boundava
11-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Thank you for your responses, actually those fish were in a 10 gal from my niece but she moved to Spain so "the uncle who works withs aquariums" kept it, it was actually way worse, somehow they had a convict!!! i took her to a friend who loves them and has many tanks in his house, he tried to put her with a male and SHE BEATED THE $%&#&#% out of him!!! (im gessing because of so much time in such a small tank her agresion levels were on a peak, she has calmed a lot since for what he tells me.

Lol, I would be mad too in a teeny-tiny tank with so many other tank mates. Glad she got some therapy for her anger issues. Sometimes venting is good...:hmm3grin2orange:

Slaphppy7
11-21-2014, 02:24 PM
My betta doesn't eat my RCS, shows zero interest in them.

Boundava
11-21-2014, 04:35 PM
What a good boy...my two bettas were very interested in everything in the tank and once they got the taste of shrimp-they loved them to death.

Slaphppy7
11-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Yeah, he's pretty timid, actually, which I don't mind one bit

cajunqn81
01-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Literally. Guess that's a combo I won't be trying...

waldo
01-14-2015, 11:03 PM
I've always keep cherry shrimp with my bettas. Some times the betta would eat one once in awhile but for the most part they left them be. Once in a while you run across a shrimp killer though. I get RCS pretty cheap so it no big deal if they get eaten.