PDA

View Full Version : Beta Sick - Lethargic and Can't Swim

Dino1956
11-11-2014, 11:20 PM
I woke up this morning to find my Beta Male lying in the middle of a plant. Usually when I turn light on and come near, he comes near front and starts looking for food. Not today. I had to move him with my hand to find out what was wrong and he could hardly swim to top. Looking really lethargic as if the water was too hard to swim in. I tested water and no ammonia and Nitrates were at 10. I immediately did my weekly 50% WC. But it did not help him. So I took him out, put him in a bowl with Tank Water and A bit of Aquarium Salt. I kept him there for a bit and then put him back in Tank. No improvement. What should I do next? Thanks. He was perfectly fine last night. Water Temp is 78 -80 F.

madagascariensis
11-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Recent changes, filter cleanings, rearrangement of tank, etc?
How long have you had your betta?

Dino1956
11-12-2014, 01:18 AM
My Beta has been through the War so to speak. He was the only surviving Fish out of an unsuccessful "Cycle With Fish". Then a month ago I took him out and "Cycled Without Fish" successfiully
He has been in the newly cycled Tank for over a month with no problems. He did have a bit of Fin Rot left over from when the Tank was not properly cycled, but he got over that. No changes in tank except for the weekly 50% WC. Low to 0 Ammonia readings. Nitrates 10 before WC.
I've had him since August 2014.

Dino1956
11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Sorry to report my Beta "Red Boy" died this morning. :-(

Boundava
11-12-2014, 03:35 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. My sister has a betta (Megatron) that is also lethargic. We think that he ate a pond snail baby that was just big enough to get stuck. She has tried epsom salt baths, but he only slightly improves. Yesterday he could barely lift his head and I told her we needed to end his suffering today with clove oil. I hate loosing fish, but with bettas you make a one to one bond cause they aren't a school.

So sorry for Red Boy.

showmebutterfly
11-12-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Red Boy.

Slaphppy7
11-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Sorry for the loss, Dino...cycling with fish stresses them alot, as you now know...you did the best you could

Dino1956
11-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Yea he'd been through a lot, thanks to me. But he was doing fine. I think maybe I over fed him although his belly did not appear to be swollen. Those beta bits is what he liked to eat. Maybe swim bladder disease or constipation. I had no Epsom Salt, so the only Salt Baths I could give him were small bits of Aquarium salt. Sometimes I think the stress of taking them out of the tank is worse. But my Male Cherry Barb was starting to pick on him, being he was weak and could not swim. As much as I love the Beta fish, I don't think they are really suited for a community tank. So I don't think I'll get another. Thanks to all.