PDA

View Full Version : My New Betta!

fish gazer
11-11-2014, 10:16 PM
After changing the positioning of my driftwood, my harlequins started to only swim in the middle of the tank, which I couldn't understand. I then decided that I wanted a fish for the top of my tank.

I thought about hatchet fish but didn't want to get a bunch of them so I decided on a Betta. I knew nothing about them except that they were "fighting fish" but did all my research and thought it was a good idea since the fish I have in my tank are quite peaceful and don't nip.

I was at the store and fell in love with this one, it looked so feathery and cute. I was only concerned that it might have a problem with my apisto since it looks similar. But I watched them all closely and they're all getting along fine. The funniest thing is that he's nervous around the cories because they're so carefree and swim around carelessly. I named him Alpha the Betta.

The day I got him, had to keep him in a temporary jar until I got him to the tank. He was in a much smaller container at the store.

In his new home

Boundava
11-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Oh my he is just beautiful! Love his color, I have found that their color changes when you get them home. I think because they are so stressed at the store in those little bowls.

This is the first time in a while that I have a tank that does not have a betta. In my 55 I had a King Male and a splendis female, they were the best of friends and would sleep in the same plant or floating log together. I guess the Kings have a short life and he dies after 3 years, she died a month later...I think she missed him.

Blizzy_206
11-21-2014, 05:02 AM
Nice looking betta! Love seeing them in a proper aquarium as opposed to the little containers.

Could you show some pictures with the other fish and the betta showing as well? We're setting up our first aquarium and thought about putting a betta in the community :) Possible aggression and the chance of having to give him a new tank put us off the idea thus far. :fish:

fish gazer
11-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks you! I'll take a pic as soon as I get a chance. What I noticed so far is that there's no aggression in general. The only thing is that he claimed the top right side of the tank since he enjoys that space. So once in awhile when another fish hangs out too long there, he will flare his gills and shoos them away from that area.

The apisto and the diamond tetras get shooed away when they're there. He leaves the cories and harlequins alone.

What type of fish do you think you'll have in there with him?