PDA

View Full Version : Betta changing colours

serbusfish
11-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Is it normal for some Bettas to change colour over time? When I purchased my Betta from aquabid it was yellow and blue, but when I received it it was orange and blue, now it is a lighter looking orange with barely any blue.

Here are some comparisons:

When I got it:

Now:

(Nevermind the mess at the bottom there, that is a combination of ramshorn snails and broken up algae wafers).

fishmommie
11-03-2014, 05:12 AM
I've kept bettas and never experienced such a drastic color change. Generally they get more colorful as they become comfortable in their new home/

You've provided a beautiful tank for the betta and it could be that the photo is just bad, but it look, from this perspective as if it might have some fin rot going on. The edges look pretty frayed. Any chance you've got a sick fish?
Hope not.

Compass
11-03-2014, 12:03 PM
I've seen female bettas go through some pretty big changes in the span of months. To the point they are unrecognizable. However I've not seen this in male bettas. How long do you leave those algae wafers laying there? What are your water parameters? If you leave that food in the tank and only take it out during partial water changes, it might be in there too long and fouling up the water column. This in turn could be affecting your betta's overall health.

afro123
11-03-2014, 02:37 PM
try turning of the lights this should calm it down.
Beautiful tank(s) BTW :)

serbusfish
11-07-2014, 01:24 PM
I take any un eaten wafers out after 48 hours, though I have shrimp, snails and otos in there so it usually all goes. Water parameters are nitrite and ammonia 0, I dont know what nitrate is as I have lost one of the bottles from my test kit.

Compass
11-07-2014, 02:04 PM
I take any un eaten wafers out after 48 hours, though I have shrimp, snails and otos in there so it usually all goes. Water parameters are nitrite and ammonia 0, I dont know what nitrate is as I have lost one of the bottles from my test kit.

Ok, well, I don't think it would be a nitrate issue anyway. Your otos and shrimp would be affect long before your betta was. It could very well be just a natural change in color. Just keep an eye out for any other anomalies.

Slaphppy7
11-07-2014, 02:29 PM
The tail looks different, too, almost like it's been nipped upon.

serbusfish
11-09-2014, 02:36 AM
The tail looks different, too, almost like it's been nipped upon.

There is nothing in the tank that could do that. The only explanation I can come up with is I briefly put a leaf hammock in for him, however there is a piece of plastic that supports the base of the leaf that I found sticks out a bit, and im thinking he might have caught his tail on that.