PDA

View Full Version : New female bettas

annielabtech
10-31-2014, 12:13 AM
Got my first female bettas yesterday, they are feeling a bit shy so didn't get to photograph them all, but here's a few pics from their first day. They are in a 90 litre planted tank with some harlequins. 3761737618376193762037621

Compass
10-31-2014, 12:18 AM
They look great. Some of the more colorful ones I've seen.

sheamurai
10-31-2014, 12:21 AM
How many do you have? Just the two?

Betta females are usually kept in groups, and develop a pecking order (sorry if you know this already). If you only have two, you'll have to keep an eye on them as its possible one will over dominate the other and eventually kill her with the stress.

Having said all that, I love them! They are really breeding some colourful females nowadays.

showmebutterfly
10-31-2014, 12:43 AM
+1 to what sheamurai said about multiples. Those are some beautiful specimens you have!

annielabtech
10-31-2014, 05:54 AM
I have 5 as I said the others were feeling shy, the pics are of 3 individuals, funny that everyone always assumes the worst.

annielabtech
10-31-2014, 05:56 AM
No sorry there are 4 individuals in the photos, I like blue what can I say.

afro123
10-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Should do fine ;)

annielabtech
10-31-2014, 12:01 PM
As long as they're actually girls!

SueD
10-31-2014, 01:52 PM
I have 5 as I said the others were feeling shy, the pics are of 3 individuals, funny that everyone always assumes the worst.

It's not really that everyone always assumes the worst. It's that many of the long-time experienced members who aren't familiar yet with the experience level of newer members are just trying to provide some additional knowledge that may not be evident from a newcomer's post.

Many newer members are, in fact, new to the hobby and haven't done much research yet. Some others, like you perhaps, have more experience and knowledge that will become more evident to others as you post more often. Please don't take offense as you will find the people here some of the best supporters of others in the hobby. It's the best of several sites I have visited.

sheamurai
10-31-2014, 02:00 PM
sorry, the pics aren't super sharp, and as all the pics are of blue bettas (my fave colour too) and some are just of fins, they could all have been of one fish, lol - aside from the one pic showing two.

Slaphppy7
10-31-2014, 02:14 PM
It's not really that everyone always assumes the worst. It's that many of the long-time experienced members who aren't familiar yet with the experience level of newer members are just trying to provide some additional knowledge that may not be evident from a newcomer's post.

Many newer members are, in fact, new to the hobby and haven't done much research yet. Some others, like you perhaps, have more experience and knowledge that will become more evident to others as you post more often. Please don't take offense as you will find the people here some of the best supporters of others in the hobby. It's the best of several sites I have visited.

+10 to this.....

showmebutterfly
10-31-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. And happy to find out that you have 5. :) Also a bit jealous since I thought about trying a beta sorority and then chickened out. I hope yours does well! From the pics it looks like they have plenty of cover.

annielabtech
11-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Sorry if I offended I was having a bad, frustrating day. I realise passionate, experienced people experience "brain vomit" I do it myself sometimes! (Having to get everything out of your brain, due to mostly dealing with numpties)

LeaderOfMen
11-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Female bettas are addicting. Yes the males are more colorful and look more fascinating but one can't really keep more than one in a nice tank. I got 3 females for our 60G and they did flare at each other but they seem to be getting along ok now. One went back today to get a white female (betta that is) to go along with the blue, red, and brownish betta. The brownish one was picked as a mistake as the clerk grabbed it instead of the white one I originally picked. Let see how they all get along and hopefully my Aquaclear 110 with lower setting suction will not eat up any. I might have to go look for a thing to add to the intake to prevent fish from getting sucked.

Anyways bad to the original topic. The planted tank looks great.

IHateAlgae
11-23-2014, 04:18 AM
Wow, those are some great looking fish. My males probably didn't look this good.
Oh and the tank is really nice too. ;)