PDA

View Full Version : Planting the Little Amazon Swords?

Plecos
10-10-2014, 11:46 PM
Now that I have a bunch of them with long roots on the runners I had a thought. My Pleco pulls up or knocks the little plants out of the gravel. I was thinking that if I made a long skinny hanging planter that would hang off the top edge and ran the runner over it and in the substrate to start them in. This way they would be protected and off the bottom for a while to root good. It would also not interfere with his swimming room. Then after they got going good transplant them in the back side of the tank. Will this work? I thought maybe a plastic screen around the bottom of the plant to hold it in the gravel after I planted them in the bottom of the tank? I could always remove it later.

Another thought would be to use the 10 gal tank to start them in pots then put them in the big tank with lots of roots in pots with out a bottom in the gravel??
Do I cut them off the runners or cut the runner into sections not messing with the little plant? Thanks for any ideas or help.

talldutchie
10-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Both plans can work. You can cut runners as soon as the plantlet is big enough to plant.