PDA

View Full Version : Male betta only builds half a nest then let's it pop

Michael4
10-09-2014, 12:27 PM
I recently bought a male and female betta, I condtitioned both of them for three weeks then I let the male roam free for a week in a 10 gallon cycled tank. I put half a styrofoam cup in for him to build a nest. He built a very tiny one. I then added a female to the tank in a clear flask. He was excited for about a day and he built a bubble nest around the edges of the cup but then he stopped blowing any more bubbles and would just sit at the side of the tank. I then decided to add the female to the tank and let her roam free with him. He showed much more interest this time and blew a bubble nest bigger than before but still not the size needed for the eggs. After a day though I noticed he was never under the nest blowing any bubbles and that the nest was almost gone and that he was completely uninterested in the female. He wouldn't even chase or flare at her. There is no filtration currently active in the tank, this was so the bubbles wouldn't pop, and there is a lid as well. I also placed a white tarp around the tank so he wouldn't be distracted by outside activity. The female is ready as she has vertical stripes and also has the White egg tube and she is incredibly fat with eggs. He is also very brightly coloured and he appears to be very happy and not dull or weak. He is red and she is blue if that has anything to do with it. I would like to know why this is happening and if there is a way to solve this problem?

mommy1
10-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Fish don't always get it right at first. He probably just needs some practice. Give him a few more tries and if he doesn't learn maybe you should try a different male betta.

Michael4
10-24-2014, 01:24 PM
*bump*.........

Compass
10-24-2014, 02:48 PM
I agree with Mommy1. You have followed the standard betta breeding formula and sometimes it just doesn't work. If it is a very young male betta it might take him a while to learn. Or it just might be he needs to mature a bit. I don't think there is anything different you can do to change the outcome other than try a different male betta or just let the one you have mature a bit.