PDA

View Full Version : What species is this catfish?

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Hi, I'm new here, so I apologize if I'm doing anything wrong.

Anyways, I have a catfish that I caught at a local river and I've had it for about 2 or 3 years. I've always wondered what kind of catfish it could be. Could anyone help me determine it's species?

It's about 7 or 8 inches long and was caught in central Texas.

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 05:04 PM
I don't know but, how big is your tank? and what else do you have in there?

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 05:07 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank, and the catfish is the only fish I have because he'll eat any other fish I put in there. I did have another of the same species but it died when I moved.

mommy1
09-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Most catfish caught in this area are going to be either a channel catfish or a red tailed catfish. I think that one is a channel cat. I suggest taking it back to where you found it.

They are fine in your tank as babies

http://www.midatlanticstocking.com/images/Channel%20Catfish.gif

But not so much as adults

http://www.in-fisherman.com/files/2011/09/P1000076.jpg

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Umm yeah I would let go and if you want a catfish get a 30g tank and get smooth natural gravel and get some upside down catfish.
+1 to mommy1's post.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure he has ich right now, so should I finish trying to treat him, or just let him go now?

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Umm well you have to get a mazda that says its safe for scaleless fish, and I would post pics before doing anything, I wouldn't let it go I would sell, you could take to a lfs, or a lps(local pond store not lps coral).

mommy1
09-02-2014, 05:30 PM
This is one of the reasons you shouldn't catch fish that are inappropriate for an aquarium and put them in an aquarium. Of course don't release him with ich. In fact I'm not sure you should release him at all since he has come down with an illness. You can't eat him, because he is being kept in an aquarium with chemicals, you can't release him because you might introduce some illness into the river. People shouldn't catch fish and stick them into an aquarium unless they know the species they are catching. This fish needs a pond.

I have used Quick Cure with catfish in the past.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't even want to release it...He's become my pet and I really hope he survives the ich. I actually have a pond that I could put him in, but it has other fish in it.

Plus, why would I want to eat it? I've had him as a pet for almost 3 years now.

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 05:41 PM
What type and size of fish are in the pond? If you feed them well they don't eat fish.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 05:47 PM
They are goldfish, and they're probably about 3 inches long.

But I'm going to be moving again soon, so could I keep him in the tank until we moved, then put him in the pond? The pond is above-ground, so I'll be taking it when I move.

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Then they should be fine just feed everyday, how long until you move?oh and how many gallos is the pond?

jaysee
09-02-2014, 05:56 PM
I've used quick cure with sensitive and "scaleless" fish as well without incident.

jaysee
09-02-2014, 06:00 PM
If you feed them well they don't eat fish.

Is this based on your experience with predatory catfish?

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 06:00 PM
I've only ever had ich once and I ised jungle ich clear tabs, just use hf a tab for small or scaleless fish.

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Is this based on your experience with predatory catfish?
More or less, expierence with my cay and my cray, my cat use to eat ghost shrimp but when she stared eating flakes from the surface she didn't bother them anymore.

jaysee
09-02-2014, 06:05 PM
What kind of catfish do you have in your 10 gallon again?

I do not recommend using anything less than a full treatment. That's how resistant strains are created. Meds aren't necessary to treat ich anyway. All you have to do is raise the water temp to at least 86 degrees. Fahrenheit :-)

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 06:11 PM
I have a upside down catfish, I know but I don't have a heater, nor did I have one, but my lights get hot so its not that cold. Thank you for puting fareheint I would really be freaked out if it was 86 celcius.

jaysee
09-02-2014, 06:15 PM
The heater suggestion was for the OP.

An upside down cat isn't even in the same league as the predatory catfish - try as you may to keep them "well fed", you'll probably still lose fish if kept with fish that are small enough to eat.

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Haha I know I was saying thtas why I used meds, it tinted the ssilicone in my tank blue.
Haha I know, I was more of saying here wouldn't be as many deaths if you fed them regulary, another idea is to catch some small 2-5" fish and freeze dry them and drop some in there everyday for the cats to scavange and feed on everyday.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 06:26 PM
I would do the heat treatment, but I cannot afford a tank heater. I have seen them online for $4 but with shipping, I think it would come to late to treat him.

I've been using Tetra Ick Gaurd since yesterday. He's losing his appetite though, and he was breathing heavily when I woke up this morning. I put the filter back in (without the cartridge) just to get some oxygen back in the tank and he started breathing better.

I really hope he lives. Everybody is telling me "oh it's just a fish" "you can get another one" etc. but to me, he's not. He's a family member, just like someone else with a dog or a cat. When I caught him, I took the responsibility of caring for him no matter what, so I can't just let him die like that.

jaysee
09-02-2014, 06:26 PM
There's just no way that you can say that there wouldn't be as many deaths, keeping a predatory fish with prey fish.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 06:29 PM
I could never prevent him from eating smaller fish just by feeding him more. It's in his nature and I'm pretty sure he enjoys chasing live fish much more than eating man-made pellets.

jaysee
09-02-2014, 06:36 PM
While that may be true, the pellets are healthier for it. The ingredients aren't man made.

Feeding dead fish to other fish as a food source isn't a great idea. Best to gut load feeder fish to get the nutrition of staple food into fish that wouldn't otherwise eat the prepared food. I don't know how good it would be to gut load a feeder then freeze it for future use.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 06:41 PM
I've never fed him dead fish. I put live feeder fish in the tank for him to eat, but rarely. The fish could've been the reason he got ich.

And I didn't meant the ingredients were man made, I just meant that there aren't pellets in the wild that he would eat.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 08:34 PM
How big of a pond would he need? The one I currently have is only about 60 gallons.

Knightia
09-02-2014, 08:38 PM
You are keeping an eight inch fish in a 10 gallon tank?

1. That's incredibly cruel of you.
2. There are TWO of them in your photo.
3. No wonder they're sick.

Forgive my bluntness but I find posts like this frustrating.

Please be responsible with your decisions. Treat the fish then return it to where you caught it...OR provide adequate housing for the species you have absolute control over (and therefore...responsibility).

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 08:56 PM
How big of a pond would he need? The one I currently have is only about 60 gallons.

When full grown they will need, about 1,000 gallons+

jaysee
09-02-2014, 09:25 PM
You are keeping an eight inch fish in a 10 gallon tank?

1. That's incredibly cruel of you.
2. There are TWO of them in your photo.
3. No wonder they're sick.

Forgive my bluntness but I find posts like this frustrating.

Please be responsible with your decisions. Treat the fish then return it to where you caught it...OR provide adequate housing for the species you have absolute control over (and therefore...responsibility).

Agreed on all but returning it to the wild. It's illegal to do so.

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Yup same here, haha I returned my cray to a pomd in the middle of a hoa neiborhood that pour chemiclas in the pond, so it doesn't countas wild.

Slaphppy7
09-02-2014, 09:49 PM
I'd worry more about the health of the fish than the legality of setting it free....

Knightia
09-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Agreed on all but returning it to the wild. It's illegal to do so.

Ah ok. I didn't know that if it was wild caught. Makes sense from a bio security point of view.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 10:32 PM
I really wish people would stop criticizing me and just help me out. I realize now that I shouldn't have kept him. But what's done is done and all I'm asking is for help with what's going on now, not what I could've/should've done.

Also, if you would've read all of my posts, you would know I only have one fish, because the other one was injured during a move and did not make it.

And the size was just an estimate, I don't know how big he is, but probably 7 inches. Or 6. I don't know.

This was my first time owning a fish, so please just stop. Everyone makes mistakes. At least I'm trying to help him instead of just letting him die.

mommy1
09-02-2014, 10:43 PM
That's the post I was waiting for. We gave you good advice in the beginning of this thread but you just kept justifying your actions so we kept on explaining why your actions were wrong. Now that you admit and want to move on I repeat, I have used Quick Cure with catfish and other scaleless fish with good success. Jaysee is correct, use it full strength, half doses is a waste of time.

While you are dealing with the ich issue, call around and see if you can find someone to take that fish. Now that he is in a tank with dechlorinaters and other chemicals he must not be put back where someone may catch and eat him, nor can he be put back where you found him because he may introduce some illness, fungus, or bacteria the other fish in the area can't fight off naturally. Ask around at your local fish stores, put him on Craigslist, or you could even try Cabella's if you live near them. They have all sorts of red tail catfish and channel catfish in their show tanks.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 10:47 PM
I never justified any of my actions.

On the instructions for Tetra Ick Guard, it says to use 1/2 dose for scaleless fish...wouldn't using the full dose harm him?

I also read somewhere that they could live in a 500 gallon pond. Is this true? I could easily create that once I move.

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Just because I was asking more questions so that I could help him to my fullest ability, does not mean I was justifying my actions.

mommy1
09-02-2014, 10:58 PM
A full dose of medication is not going to hurt him any more than the ich will. The ingredients for Ick Guard and Quick Cure are the same, so you should have the same results as I did with a full dose. Be prepared for a quick water change if I am wrong, my fish weren't wild caught.

This should help with pond size http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDAQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftheurbanrancher.tamu.edu%2Fpublic ations%2FB1319.pdf&ei=6EoGVOG0B8We8QHyroGYAQ&usg=AFQjCNGAAV7LkX_em_k0Nf099GyrWFu83Q&sig2=v8_5Ns2tYAfbTBRey8FsKQ&bvm=bv.74115972,d.b2U

bailey3553
09-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Was your experience with a young channel catfish? I'm afraid to use a full dose because everything I've read elsewhere says to use a 1/2 dose for scaleless fish.

mommy1
09-02-2014, 11:23 PM
At the time I had two common plecos, a bunch of cory catfish, some kuhli loaches, and a bunch of tetra. Quick Cure recommends half dose with all of these fish and they all lived through the full dosage.

jaysee
09-03-2014, 12:00 AM
I'd worry more about the health of the fish than the legality of setting it free....

Well that's a big picture versus little picture thing. There's a reason it's illegal and that is for the protection of wild fish. The health of these particular fish is meaningless when considering the negative impact it could have on wildlife. Is a disaster likely to happen? I doubt it. But those with degrees that study this business and are put in charge of making such decisions think there's enough of a risk to be concerned, and I don't feel qualified to challenge them.

As harsh as it may sound, if you can't find an appropriate sized home for a wild fish you took home, then it's your responsibility to destroy that fish rather than return it to the wild. You assume responsibility for that animal the second you took it.

bailey3553
09-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Excuse me, but I am not just going to "destroy" him just because of my mistake. He is my responsibility and I will do whatever it takes to keep him alive.

That is, if he survives the ich.

jaysee
09-03-2014, 12:11 AM
I'm just saying... In life there are prices to be paid for mistakes. You can certainly take the easy way out.... Many people do, which is why we have the ecological disasters that we have.

And again, it's big picture versus little picture.

bailey3553
09-03-2014, 12:25 AM
You're implying that I said I would release him, which I did not. I will not release him nor will I kill him. I am looking into getting 500+ gallon pond when I move, which should be in 3-5 months.

jaysee
09-03-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm sorry I was mistaken - thought you said you were going to release it.

aquariumlover10
09-03-2014, 01:17 AM
You're implying that I said I would release him, which I did not. I will not release him nor will I kill him. I am looking into getting 500+ gallon pond when I move, which should be in 3-5 months.

If its going tbe that long just put them in there, you can get a floating plant net and put goldfish in there.

bailey3553
09-03-2014, 01:19 AM
What? Sorry, I'm not understanding what you mean.

aquariumlover10
09-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Get 2of these and split the goldfish betwen them and put cats in pond. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16852&pcatid=16852

AABatteries
09-03-2014, 10:02 PM
You've already basically ruined and killed the fish you care oh so dearly about. Having kept it in the 10 gallon aquarium for its whole life has stunted its growth. The fish should be nearing 18 to 24 inches by now. All you've done is shorten the life span, and caused the fish misery.

Get it out of the 10 gallon tank and into the 60 gallon pond, as soon as the ich clears up. Don't just go dumping it in there though. Put it in a bucket with the tank water it is currently in. Then dump in a small cup of water(like not much more than Dixie cup can hold), one cup at a time about every 5 minutes. Do this 5 or 6 times, then wait another 5 minutes before you introduce it into the pond. Normally you could just siphon water through an airline hose, but you can't have a suction going up out of the pond and into the bucket. If the fish was healthy you could probably just put it straight into the tank.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 01:35 AM
You've already basically ruined and killed the fish you care oh so dearly about. Having kept it in the 10 gallon aquarium for its whole life has stunted its growth. The fish should be nearing 18 to 24 inches by now. All you've done is shorten the life span, and caused the fish misery.

Get it out of the 10 gallon tank and into the 60 gallon pond, as soon as the ich clears up. Don't just go dumping it in there though. Put it in a bucket with the tank water it is currently in. Then dump in a small cup of water(like not much more than Dixie cup can hold), one cup at a time about every 5 minutes. Do this 5 or 6 times, then wait another 5 minutes before you introduce it into the pond. Normally you could just siphon water through an airline hose, but you can't have a suction going up out of the pond and into the bucket. If the fish was healthy you could probably just put it straight into the tank.

I WAS 12 WHEN I CAUGHT THE FISH. Please stop making me feel worse than I already do about keeping the fish.

I am trying to work out building a pond with the landowner. It would be around 100 gallons, possibly bigger.

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 01:55 AM
Hey dude, trust me we are trying not to make you feel bad, I'm. A year younger then you were when you caught those fish, trust me do what AAsaid in his second paragrafh, and when they're in there just feed them everyday, sinking pond pellets are best.
I would put some mosquitofish in there too for food for them.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 02:08 AM
People need to be more careful with their words. Saying that I have basically "ruined and killed" my fish: Is that helpful/informational? No. Does it make me feel terrible? Yes.

So please. Just think before typing.

AABatteries
09-04-2014, 02:40 AM
Is it the harsh reality? Yes.

Will you have to face the harsh reality in life sometimes? Yes.

Using extremes is very useful for getting a point across; no matter the topic, subject, banter, chit-chat, etc. Evoking feelings of emotions, especially strong ones, is the best way to get something to change.

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 02:45 AM
Is it the harsh reality? Yes.

Will you have to face the harsh reality in life sometimes? Yes.

Using extremes is very useful for getting a point across; no matter the topic, subject, banter, chit-chat, etc. Evoking feelings of emotions, especially strong ones, is the best way to get something to change.
+1 to above. :goodpost:

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 02:59 AM
I give up with you people. You don't know anything about me, and you come here acting like I'm the worst person in the whole entire world. Which I'm not. I'm a good person with good intentions. This fish means the most to me out of all of my pets, and realizing what I've done to him is very heartbreaking. No one in my family believes me when I say he needs more water, they all say "good thing you kept him in a small tank so he hasn't grown". I used to believe that. But now I feel so, so terrible knowing that I did this to him and I can't do anything to fix it. When I told my family he had ich and he could die, they all laughed and said "oh well you can bury him out in the flowers". They think he's "just a fish", but to me, he's way more than that. He's a family member to me. I know now that what I did was wrong, but the past is the past and I can only do better for the future.

mommy1
09-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Will y'all give it a rest now, seriously. The OP clearly understands the mistake she made (a mistake many here have made) and is taking good measures to fix it. What we need to concentrate on now is helping her to get her fish healthy so it can get into that pond. Stop fixating on the mistake and start helping with the solution or go find somewhere else to make yourself feel superior.

AL10 you have no business taking a condescending tone here. As I recall your tank is, or at the very least was, horribly stocked and /or overstocked and you often ask if you can cram more fish in it.

Bailey3553, if you click on the setting tab at the top of the page and then on the edit ignore list in the left hand column you can set certain people to ignore, then you won't see their posts. Just a suggestion.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:00 AM
Will y'all give it a rest now, seriously. The OP clearly understands the mistake she made (a mistake many here have made) and is taking good measures to fix it. What we need to concentrate on now is helping her to get her fish healthy so it can get into that pond. Stop fixating on the mistake and start helping with the solution or go find somewhere else to make yourself feel superior.

AL10 you have no business taking a condescending tone here. As I recall your tank is, or at the very least was, horribly stocked and /or overstocked and you often ask if you can cram more fish in it.

Bailey3553, if you click on the setting tab at the top of the page and then on the edit ignore list in the left hand column you can set certain people to ignore, then you won't see their posts. Just a suggestion.

Thank you so much; I'm glad someone finally understands.

And thanks, I will do that!

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Okay, I have another problem.

Apparently we are going out of town this weekend, so I won't be here to give him the ich treatment. We are leaving Friday morning then coming back Sunday afternoon.

What do I do? Will he be okay for that long without treatment and water changes?

Now I'm even more worried than before!

mommy1
09-04-2014, 04:19 AM
Continue daily water changes and dosing medications until then. Friday, before you leave, do a big water change and give another dose of medication. Then first thing when you get home Sunday do another water change and dose again. Really you are only skipping one day, Saturday. It should work out ok.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:21 AM
So it's okay to dose on Friday before the 24 hours are up?

mommy1
09-04-2014, 04:29 AM
Well, honestly I am not sure. A few hours difference more or less should not be a problem. When treating ich you really need to continue treatment for several days after the last of the spots have fallen off the fish to ensure it is really gone. If it were my fish, I would rather have the medication in the tank than not have it, especially knowing if it goes untreated the fish will surely die. Adding the medication a little early is the lesser of two evils really. Just do a large water change, about 75% - 80%, this will remove most of the medication still in the tank, then re-dose. Follow Madagascariensis' advice of only adding half a dose and watch for a little bit then add the other half dose.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:01 PM
So this morning when I went to go feed him, I noticed he has a sort of "scrape" on his back, near the fin. I think it might have been from the little cave thing I have in there. I don't know how else he could've gotten hurt. Should I remove the cave? That's his only hiding place, but if he's getting hurt it...also, would that stress him out more if I were to remove it?

I was going to take a picture, but he hid before I could.

(a picture of the tank right now) It looks dirty at the top because the water from the filter splashes on it, and makes those hard water stains.

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Umm, no offense but you NEED a hob filter, trust me I didn't know this when I started but the internal.filter don't work well, also you need to raise water level, and a light and live plants, you should also get some hornwort in the pond for when you put in pond, a pic would help, I wouild get API betta fix and dose 2 drops daily until you get rid of the prob, it will prevent infection.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:09 PM
This filter has been working great for 3 years. The water is also really cloudy because of the ich medicine.

I can't raise the water level because it's already right under the filter lip.

Will the Betta fix affect the ich medicine?

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 04:11 PM
I would not be mixing medications right now, while treating for ich...you should not use meds unless you are certain what you are trying to treat...it is a shame you could not get a pic before he hid, but I don't think I would remove the cave or anything else at this point, it could just stress the fish even more.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:13 PM
I would not be mixing medications right now, while treating for ich...you should not use meds unless you are certain what you are trying to treat...it is a shame you could not get a pic before he hid, but I don't think I would remove the cave or anything else at this point, it could just stress the fish even more.

Thank you, that's what I needed to know.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:18 PM
I tried to get a picture again, and when I did he went to go hide. But when he did, he got stuck. Now I'm positive that's how the scrape happened. Is there anything I can do? I don't want him getting hurt again.

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Can you maybe elevate the cave a bit, so that he doesn't get stuck?...but, if you can, make sure it won't topple over and fall on him

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Hmm...I'm not sure what I could use for that...

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Anything inert that won't affect the water...maybe some more rocks?

Or maybe you could come up with a different cave for him?...could be anything, a terra cotta pot maybe?

Or perhaps use some of your gravel to help tilt the cave, so that the opening is bigger?

How long has the little cave been in there?....

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 04:46 PM
This filter has been working great for 3 years. The water is also really cloudy because of the ich medicine.

I can't raise the water level because it's already right under the filter lip.

Will the Betta fix affect the ich medicine?
It will be fine if its above the lip, the bettafix won't affect ich, its just consentrated tea tree oil, its doesn't matter how long it works its the effectiveness of it.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Anything inert that won't affect the water...maybe some more rocks?

Or maybe you could come up with a different cave for him?...could be anything, a terra cotta pot maybe?

Or perhaps use some of your gravel to help tilt the cave, so that the opening is bigger?

How long has the little cave been in there?....

The cave has been there since a few months after I got him.

If I used gravel to tilt it, he would just move it around and it would end up in the same place as before.

Will a used pot be okay to use? I think there are some around here. But would a different cave stress him out more?

I found some large flat rocks, but I don't know if they'd affect the water. There is some spots of concrete on them, and I have no idea what they were used for.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 04:59 PM
It will be fine if its above the lip, the bettafix won't affect ich, its just consentrated tea tree oil, its doesn't matter how long it works its the effectiveness of it.

The water cannot be above the lip of the filter; that would defeat the whole purpose.

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Ten get a hob, you can get ne at walmart for 5-15 gallons for like $10-$15 so why not get that, right now you have about 7g in that tank, thehob at walmart is called, aqua-tech 5-15, its prettycheap but its quiet and works great, I have a aqua-tech on my tank right now and a spare 5-15 if mine breaks, the one I have is a 30-60 its big so limits what decor I can have and what not.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 05:10 PM
I can't just go out and buy a new filter. My family is barely eating right now, and definitely wouldn't let me get a new filter when I have a perfectly good one now.

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:11 PM

If I used gravel to tilt it, he would just move it around and it would end up in the same place as before.

Will a used pot be okay to use? I think there are some around here. But would a different cave stress him out more?

I found some large flat rocks, but I don't know if they'd affect the water. There is some spots of concrete on them, and I have no idea what they were used for.

I wouldn't use a pot that ever had plants in them because that meant they had fertilizers inthem which would kill the fish, just buy a 4-6 inch unglazed terra cotta pot at walmart and cut in half with a dremel,and put both ahlves in there.
Here's a pic of terra cotta pots in my tank. 36375

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:12 PM
I can't just go out and buy a new filter. My family is barely eating right now, and definitely wouldn't let me get a new filter when I have a perfectly good one now.

Can you put some kind of wood or plastic to loft the filter up so the lip is up enough to put more water in?

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Can you put some kind of wood or plastic to loft the filter up so the lip is up enough to put more water in?

I already have it attached with a clothespin as high it can go. I would remove the top, but I have cats and they would mess with him.

I don't think my fish would fit in that small of a pot. What about PVC pipe? Is there any certain kind I'd need for that?

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 05:30 PM

Used pots would be just fine, rinse them in hot tap water and let air dry

Sorry to hear that...if the filter is working fine, then don't worry about getting another

I already have it attached with a clothespin as high it can go. I would remove the top, but I have cats and they would mess with him.

I don't think my fish would fit in that small of a pot. What about PVC pipe? Is there any certain kind I'd need for that?

Any clean PVC pipe will work just fine...make sure it is big enough so that he can get through it easily, and that there are no sharp edges or burrs on the ends

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:34 PM

You could use hot glue or aquarium sealant and glue to halves together and cut bottom of pot off so its longer. I have had bad expierences with pvc so I won't comment on that.

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:36 PM
It would look kinda like this.36376

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 05:37 PM
You could use hot glue or aquarium sealant and glue to halves together and cut bottom of pot off so its longer. I have had bad expierences with pvc so I won't comment on that.

What bad experiences?

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Well with fish getting scratched and hot glue doesn't stick well on it so you'd have to buy aquarium silicone to put gravel on it so its not just white.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 05:44 PM
We'll with fish getting scratched and hot glue doesn't stick well on it so you'd have to buy aquarium silicone to put gravel on it so its not just white.

I don't care about looks, just that it works.

Can anyone think of anything cheap that I wouldn't have to alter? (sanding, glueing, etc.)

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Do you have access to PVC pipe?

How about a plastic coffee can, partially buried to hold it down?

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Do you have access to PVC pipe?

How about a plastic coffee can, partially buried to hold it down?

I might, but I don't have any way to sand the edges.

And I definitely have a coffee can, but wouldn't the coffee affect the fish/water?

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Ummm you could just put a whole terra cotta pots in there or, buy a peice of slate and lean against the biger rocks in there so they can hide under that.
If you do terra cotta pots you can bury the bottom part in gravel and it shouldbe fine, you would have to make sure the hole in the bottom is big enough they can gho thru it without getting stuck or they shouldn't be a hole.

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I might, but I don't have any way to sand the edges.

And I definitely have a coffee can, but wouldn't the coffee affect the fish/water?

If it doesn't have additives that are really bad and you wash it out with HOT water it should be fine, but the plastic may eventually leak chemicals into the water.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 05:55 PM
What about a tin coffee can?

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:57 PM
No that's way worse, the metal WILL rust and WILL KILL the cats.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 05:59 PM
No that's way worse, the metal WILL rust and WILL KILL the cats.

Okay, thanks. Any other ideas?

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Any clean, plastic jar will do

Do you have some white vinegar at the house?...those rocks you mentioned earlier you can test with the vinegar to see if they are safe to use to elevate your cave

Put a few drops of the vinegar on a clean (dry) rock...if it fizzles and bubbles, don't use it...if it doesn't, it's safe

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 06:03 PM
What about, oh do you do needlepoint thing?with the plastic mesh grid ting, if so you can take one plain sheet and fold in half and sew the ends together with fishing line and put some gavel in it and put in there.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 06:13 PM
How long would it take before the plastic started leaking chemicals into the water?

cm12setx
09-04-2014, 06:17 PM
what is the filter tube made of plastic. no worries. and i have made a moss wall out of the plastic needel point mesh.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 06:21 PM
I meant the coffee can...most things I read said clear plastic, so if the coffee can was, say blue, would it still be okay? Also, what if there's glue stuck on the can from the label, will that do any harm?

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Plastic does not leak chemicals into the water, no worries...not even colored plastic

Remove the label and as much of the glue as you can, try some rubbing alcohol to get it off

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 06:24 PM
I know not all plastics will, but some plastic have chemicals that will leak onto the water, for instance would you make a planted tank out of a plastic preztel jar?

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 06:24 PM
I meant the coffee can...most things I read said clear plastic, so if the coffee can was, say blue, would it still be okay? Also, what if there's glue stuck on the can from the label, will that do any harm?
That should be fine, the glue will come off with hot water and a scraper.

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't make a "tank" out of any kind of jar

But a clean pretzel jar could be used IN a tank, no problem

Do you really think they'd sell food in a container that leeches chemicals?

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 06:30 PM
So just to be clear, the coffee itself will not affect the water/fish?

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 06:32 PM
No, it will not...rinse it well in hot water...if you are concerned about the smell, leave it out in the sun for a while, it will help eliminate any odor

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 06:32 PM
No, it may tint water brown if you poured some in there but that the worse it would do, if you rinse in hot water there shouldn't be any left in there.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Which one would be best for my fish/tank? The PVC pipe or the coffee can?

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 07:16 PM
I found a coffee can that is the perfect size, but the labels are "printed on", I guess. Will this affect anything?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to make sure I do the best for him.

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 07:24 PM
No, the printed label won't be a problem...if it doesn't come off with a good scrubbing, it won't come off in the tank

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 07:46 PM
I just rinsed it really good with hot water...what should I scrub it with?

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 08:05 PM
is it like ink or a piece of plastic?

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 08:07 PM
is it like ink or a piece of plastic?

I can't really tell...

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Just use your hands and some clean paper towels, that should be enough

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 08:11 PM
yeah just do what slap said.

bailey3553
09-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Okay, will do. Thanks!

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 12:57 AM

Some pictures of the fish. You can really see the scrape in the first picture.

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 01:06 AM
That's happendto my cat recently too, its not healed but not gotyen worse or infected.
Hopefully you can put in pond soon.

mommy1
09-05-2014, 04:55 AM
Man that fish is skinny. I know you said he is off his food right now, but skinny like that doesn't happen in a few days. What do you normally feed him, how much and how often?

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 01:31 PM
I noticed that too after looking at pictures of what he should look like. I feed him "API Bottom Feeder Shrimp Pellets" 2-3 days a week, morning and night, and I give him however much he'll eat within 10 minutes. Occasionally I feed him live minnows.

Should I be feeding him more?

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Oh wow, he is very skinny...try feeding once a day, every day

I forget, what do you feed him?

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Oh wow, he is very skinny...try feeding once a day, every day

I forget, what do you feed him?

Okay, I will do that. There's no more ich on him but I'm still treating just to make sure it's completely gone. But he still hasn't really gotten his appetite back. Usually he'll eat the pellets as soon as they drop, but now he doesn't really touch them.

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 01:40 PM
YES, keep treating for the ich for 7-10 days after the last spot has disappeared...good job

How about digging in the yard for a nice fat earthworm or two, or maybe some grub worms?

I know you are on a budget, but he may appreciate some frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, too

He really needs some good protein

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 01:54 PM
YES, keep treating for the ich for 7-10 days after the last spot has disappeared...good job

How about digging in the yard for a nice fat earthworm or two, or maybe some grub worms?

I know you are on a budget, but he may appreciate some frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, too

He really needs some good protein

Okay, I will try to go to Petsmart Sunday.

The ground is super dry and cracked here, so I don't think there would be any worms within my digging reach. What about grasshoppers?

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Throw a small one in there, and let's see what happens!

mommy1
09-05-2014, 01:59 PM
If you have any of those shrimp pellets available throw a few of those in the tank. He will quickly recognize that as food and eat it if he is hungry.

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Yup the cats eat grasshoppers, if there tadpoles in your pond throw some in there too, also they love crickets, when you go to petsmart you should get some craickets for him too, or go to walmart and get some night crawlers(giant earthworms)

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 02:13 PM
If you have any of those shrimp pellets available throw a few of those in the tank. He will quickly recognize that as food and eat it if he is hungry.

I already did that this morning, and they're still sitting at the bottom of the tank. As I said before, he hasn't really been interested in them since he got the ich.

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Did you try a grasshopper?...maybe the kicking and wiggling will draw his interest

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 02:16 PM
If you have anykind of weeds or grass in your yard pour some water on the ground around them, for a couple days and then dig it up and you should find worms and grubs.

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 02:18 PM
He hasn't touched the grasshopper...I think it's too small and he hasn't noticed it yet. I've tried feeding him grasshoppers before, but do they have lots of protein? If so, we have a TON around here, so I could definitely give him a lot of those.

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 02:19 PM
If you have anykind of weeds or grass in your yard pour some water on the ground around them, for a couple days and then dig it up and you should find worms and grubs.

Oh okay, thanks, I will definitely try that!

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 02:21 PM
He hasn't touched the grasshopper...I think it's too small and he hasn't noticed it yet. I've tried feeding him grasshoppers before, but do they have lots of protein? If so, we have a TON around here, so I could definitely give him a lot of those.

Grasshoppers are pure protein

Again, I forget, but have you tested the water?

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Grasshoppers are pure protein

Again, I forget, but have you tested the water?

No, I haven't left my house, and we're about to go out of town, so I haven't had the chance to test it.

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 02:23 PM

Hu, maybe try using tweezers and putting it near him, if your in thewoods there a way to eat grass hoppers, I think there mostly protein, but no fat so it may still need shrimp pellets for other stuff.
You can try putting a shrimp pellet inside a grasshopper and then feeding o him, so he will learn the taste of them and get more nutrients.

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Oh okay, thanks, I will definitely try that!

Ok sounds good.

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 02:26 PM
No, I haven't left my house, and we're about to go out of town, so I haven't had the chance to test it.

Do a LARGE water change before you leave

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 02:26 PM
He just doesn't seem to want to come out of the coffee can. I felt so bad, I never knew the hole to the cave was so small, and yesterday when I was putting the coffee can in, I noticed he had a lot more scrapes. :/ At least the should start getting better; thanks for the coffee can suggestion!

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah I use to have a cool littlerock structure for my kuhli loaches and my cat decided to get stuck in and got scaped, can you post pics?

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 02:32 PM
He just doesn't seem to want to come out of the coffee can. I felt so bad, I never knew the hole to the cave was so small, and yesterday when I was putting the coffee can in, I noticed he had a lot more scrapes. :/ At least the should start getting better; thanks for the coffee can suggestion!

Don't beat yourself up over it...sometimes stuff like this happens no matter how hard we try

Just be sure to change as mush water as possible before you leave, and use your water conditioner

Will you be able to pick up a test kit this weekend?

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 02:37 PM
:goodpost: yeah when I started a second tank before I moved I had like 20 bait shiners in there and they got sick and one had a weird ulcer thing on it, so yeah we have all started out wrong or messed something along the way, ask slap about when he got plattues and why he regreats it.

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Don't beat yourself up over it...sometimes stuff like this happens no matter how hard we try

Just be sure to change as mush water as possible before you leave, and use your water conditioner

Will you be able to pick up a test kit this weekend?

I changed about 90% of the water then did the ich treatment again. I use well water so I haven't been using conditioner, do I need to be?

I'm not sure about a test kit; I've never used one before. Where can I buy one/how much do they cost?

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 03:41 PM
No, water conditioner is not absolutely necessary with well water, but we need to test that well water, as well as your tank water

The test kit alot of us here use is the API Master Freshwater Test kit, it is available online and in many fish stores, it can run from $25-$35, but it lasts a long time, and is good for many, many tests

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 03:43 PM
I changed about 90% of the water then did the ich treatment again. I use well water so I haven't been using conditioner, do I need to be?

I'm not sure about a test kit; I've never used one before. Where can I buy one/how much do they cost?

If you're on well its fine, the best kit is around $35.00 but you can just get test strips for like $10 and those should be fine since your putting in pond soon.

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 04:33 PM
When you move are you staying in texas? If so after you moved and cats are in pond you could catch some native fish and plants for the tank.

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 05:34 PM
When you move are you staying in texas? If so after you moved and cats are in pond you could catch some native fish and plants for the tank.

Yes, we'll be staying in Texas. And I usually catch minnows from the same river he was caught in and put those in there. At first I wanted to keep them as part of my aquarium, but now it's just as a food source for the catfish, since he just eats them all.

As for the test kit, I don't know when I'll ever get the money for that. :/

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Oh, I didn't know you were a fellow Texan :22:

try to save up for the kit, it really is a great tool to have when keeping fish

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 05:41 PM
For the $10 or $35? Ok, once you mokve you should go fishing or ssomething and get some plants and small fish, I will tell you some spe is that will be suitable for the tank, I will post a list in a sec.

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Both. I have literally no way of getting money. We live in the middle of nowhere so I can't mow lawns or walk dogs or anything like that. My mom won't let me get a job. I don't know any other way of getting it.

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 05:51 PM
ok heres a list of suitable fish for that tank that may be in texas.
1. mosquitofish
2. sailfin molly
3. a lot of different darters but they will need faster flow, swamp darter should be fine though.
4.sheeps head minnow
5. banded pygmy sunfish
6.brook silver side
7.banded killifish
8. Bluefin killifish
9. madtoms(a small species of catfish) the only prob is that they have SHARP spines and have poisonous gland under their skin at the base of the dorsal and pectoral fins. though not lethal, the poison produces a painful burning sensation.

slap maybe able to say which are in texas and which aren't.

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Both. I have literally no way of getting money. We live in the middle of nowhere so I can't mow lawns or walk dogs or anything like that. My mom won't let me get a job. I don't know any other way of getting it.

what about selling fish bait? do youlive close to a creek or any body of natural water?

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 05:58 PM

Well I am sorry to hear that...just keep up those water changes best you can

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Here's a pic of one of my offspring of wild caught mosquitofish, 36419this is a female in a small tank while giving birth because my breeder box has fry in it.

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Whenyou move will you be closer to other people?

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 06:21 PM
ok heres some pics of the listed fish.
Bluefin killifish.36420
banded killifish.36421
swamp darter.36422
sheepshead minnow.36423
sailfin molly.36424

mommy1
09-05-2014, 08:29 PM
ok heres a list of suitable fish for that tank that may be in texas.
1. mosquitofish
2. sailfin molly
3. a lot of different darters but they will need faster flow, swamp darter should be fine though.
4.sheeps head minnow
5. banded pygmy sunfish
6.brook silver side
7.banded killifish
8. Bluefin killifish
9. madtoms(a small species of catfish) the only prob is that they have SHARP spines and have poisonous gland under their skin at the base of the dorsal and pectoral fins. though not lethal, the poison produces a painful burning sensation.

slap maybe able to say which are in texas and which aren't.

The sailfin molly gets much to large for a 10 gallon tank. Sheepshead minnow, brook silverside, and the tadpole madtom all have potential to get to large for a 10 gallon.

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Oh ok, sorry my book of native.fish is out dated, doesn't have correct sizes either.

mommy1
09-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Well, the wild caught sailfin molly's I used to have grew to over 4inches, but it isn't just about the adult size of the fish you need to consider when stocking a tank. You also need to consider activity levels, territorial needs, social needs, and how aggressive the species is in general among other things. The rest of the fish I listed as inappropriate for a 10 gallon tank get a minimum of 2-3 inches with potential of 4-5 inches, both minimum and maximum sizes are much to large for a 10g, especially when you add in activity levels. I wanted to add the sunfish to the list of no's as well, but I am not sure of how active they are. At an adult size of 1.5 inches pygmy sunfish are border line small enough for a 10, it would depend on the other factors I listed if they are appropriate for a 10g, and I just don't have that information in my brain.

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Here's a pic of one of my offspring of wild caught mosquitofish, 36419this is a female in a small tank while giving birth because my breeder box has fry in it.

Those are the fish I always catch and feed to him. I just always called them minnows cause I didn't know what they actually were.

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 09:12 PM
How's he doing now?

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Yeah there's kinda like dull guppies,cool fact about them, females can hold in fry if there are predatoras around, yes it is possible, my was preg for 5 months!!! At one point and I finally put her in a breeder box and she had babies, you should get some for tank and pond.

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 09:54 PM
How's he doing now?

Not sure, I'm out of town, and nobody is home right now.

bailey3553
09-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Yeah there's kinda like dull guppies,cool fact about them, females can hold in fry if there are predatoras around, yes it is possible, my was preg for 5 months!!! At one point and I finally put her in a breeder box and she had babies, you should get some for tank and pond.

Yes, some of mine had babies, but they'd always get eaten by the other fish. :/ I would love to have some as breeders and use them as feeder fish. How many do you think I could keep in a 5 gallon tank?

aquariumlover10
09-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Umm, shrimp and snauls, coud throw a lot of them and plants in the pond and there will be tons in a month or two.

bailey3553
09-06-2014, 12:10 AM
Umm, shrimp and snauls, coud throw a lot of them and plants in the pond and there will be tons in a month or two.

How many mosquito fish could I keep in a 5 gallon?

aquariumlover10
09-06-2014, 12:12 AM
You could keep about 1 adult or you could use it as a fry growingtank and just dump all fry in there for and whenbigger you can feed to the cats, i would also try getting some plants from petsmart if you get a light, hornwort and java moss and marimo moss balls will do fine under incadesnet or flourescent lights.

bailey3553
09-06-2014, 12:20 AM
You could keep about 1 adult or you could use it as a fry growingtank and just dump all fry in there for and whenbigger you can feed to the cats, i would also try getting some plants from petsmart if you get a light, hornwort and java moss and marimo moss balls will do fine under incadesnet or flourescent lights.

Could I keep a couple in there then when there are babies, take the adults out?

aquariumlover10
09-06-2014, 12:22 AM
A couple adults or fry? You could get a breeder box for the pond and put preg females in there and take fry out and put in the 5g, are you getting a 5g or just want another tank? Because a 10g could house adults.

bailey3553
09-06-2014, 12:52 AM
A couple adults or fry? You could get a breeder box for the pond and put preg females in there and take fry out and put in the 5g, are you getting a 5g or just want another tank? Because a 10g could house adults.

Well the adults are pretty small, so I was thinking about 5 fish in the 5 gallons, then hopefully one would get pregnant. When that happened, I would put all the other ones into the 10 gallon as food for the catfish. Then I would eventually use the fry/mother as food as well. Then I'd get new fish and do it again.

aquariumlover10
09-06-2014, 01:08 AM
No no, the females get 2" so too big, why not just put in pond with some plants? So is a 5g the max you can have?

bailey3553
09-06-2014, 01:18 AM
No no, the females get 2" so too big, why not just put in pond with some plants? So is a 5g the max you can have?

Around here, they are very small, probably 1 inch. And I can't put anything in the pond, I can only consider an aquarium. I am trying to get some money to buy a bigger tank for my catfish, and then I could use the 10 gallon for some mosquito fish. But then I'd have to consider having to buy another filter and air stone, which I just don't have the money for. Which is why I was considering getting a 5 gallon or smaller because they come in cheap kits that include a filter/aerator. But then I'd have less money to get a bigger tank for my catfish.

I found a couple great deals for tanks on craigslist, but my mom doesn't want me to get a bigger one because she says they'll be a PITA to move. What she doesn't realize is that my fish NEEDS a bigger tank, and I just don't know how to convince her.

aquariumlover10
09-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Why can't you put stuff in the pond? They will grow after awhile and don't have fry until 1.25 inches(iknow not muchof a difference but it matters) the cats will need a pond or a public aquarium so I would just put in pond, you dont need a air stone, just a hobor canister filter depending on what size tank you get. Why not just sell bait fishor something? Whenyou move will you be in a neiborhood or close to people? If so mowlawns for $10-$15 a pop and get a bigger tank.

aquariumlover10
09-06-2014, 01:31 AM
I found a couple great deals for tanks on craigslist, but my mom doesn't want me to get a bigger one because she says they'll be a PITA to move. What she doesn't realize is that my fish NEEDS a bigger tank, and I just don't know how to convince her.

Trust me I am not even suppost to have the one tank I have because me/my parents are renting so I have to keep my door, and curtains closed when my landlord comes over,and my oarents do even care that I want a bigger tank and said that my dream of have 6 tanks is not going to happend until I pay rent.

bailey3553
09-06-2014, 01:31 AM
Why can't you put stuff in the pond? They will grow after awhile and don't have fry until 1.25 inches(iknow not muchof a difference but it matters) the cats will need a pond or a public aquarium so I would just put in pond, you dont need a air stone, just a hobor canister filter depending on what size tank you get. Why not just sell bait fishor something? Whenyou move will you be in a neiborhood or close to people? If so mowlawns for $10-$15 a pop and get a bigger tank.

Because I don't have a pond yet.

And no it would be around people, we have 4 horses so we have to move where there's lots of land. The houses we're looking at aren't near people.

aquariumlover10
09-06-2014, 01:37 AM
Oh ok, iread what you said wrong eialier, yeahi use to breed horses, but when I moved to va we had to sell a lot and mt grandparents watched the last one we had had forever, but it died when we still lived in va, but before I moved I was on the old farm where we had some horses,
what about asking to build a big pond for fish fishing on your land when you move? You could stock with thecats and other stuff an could just get stuff from local rivers and such and put inthere and then take some of the smaller species and then put in a tank. (If they say no say you'll dig by hand, I dug a hole for a 250 gallon pond by hand in a couple hours once.)

bailey3553
09-06-2014, 04:44 AM
Well the house is on the market right now, so I don't think they want me to just go digging a big hole in the ground...although they said they would help me do one, they say a lot of things so I doubt they'll actually let me.

aquariumlover10
09-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Yea, I guess. No I meant when you move, mans yeah my parents say thell take to the fish and they don't and they said I go to someones house and they dontlet me and the listgoes on and on and on, but good news is you could dig a 300 gallon pond and buy a liner for it and the cats would be fine as long as the shape is right, I would NOT buy preformed pond, they are exremly hard to patch if they leach and if the holes not right you have to even it out.

aquariumlover10
09-08-2014, 12:53 AM
Any updates?

bailey3553
09-08-2014, 01:07 AM
Any updates?

Came back from out of town today. He died. My grandma decided to freeze him. WHO does that. I'm so mad and sad and disappointed. I don't even know.

aquariumlover10
09-08-2014, 01:13 AM
Both or just the one with scrape? Actually its good she froze it, it prezervers it and you can burry it since you've had it for along time, well at least its not going to be a problem anymore, if both you can stock some stuff once you move.

bailey3553
09-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Both or just the one with scrape? Actually its good she froze it, it prezervers it and you can burry it since you've had it for along time, well at least its not going to be a problem anymore, if both you can stock some stuff once you move.

"at least it's not going to be a problem"? Seriously?

I only had one by the way

aquariumlover10
09-08-2014, 11:48 AM
I mean at least its not going to have to be in a pond that is too small until it had a bigger one, oh I thought there was two in the first pic you posted.

Compass
09-08-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. I know you tried everything you could to help your fish.

bailey3553
09-08-2014, 04:05 PM
I mean at least its not going to have to be in a pond that is too small until it had a bigger one, oh I thought there was two in the first pic you posted.

There was, but I said that the other one was injured when we moved and didn't make it.

bailey3553
09-08-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. I know you tried everything you could to help your fish.

Thank you so much.

aquariumlover10
09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Oh, I'm sorry for your loss, so when you move, do you want to get a light and different stuff or just collect wild plants and sand and fish?

bailey3553
09-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Oh, I'm sorry for your loss, so when you move, do you want to get a light and different stuff or just collect wild plants and sand and fish?

What? I'm not sure, I think I'll just catch some mosquito fish and put them in the tank. My room just looks too bare without anything there. :/

I would love to have fancy guppies, but I don't have the money to get some.

Slaphppy7
09-08-2014, 08:31 PM
I wish you lived close by, I'd give you all of the platys you could carry...snails too

aquariumlover10
09-08-2014, 09:53 PM
What? I'm not sure, I think I'll just catch some mosquito fish and put them in the tank. My room just looks too bare without anything there. :/

I would not get mosquitos if you ever want other fish, well I guess its be fine you can put the in the pond, also I would try to get some bluefin killifish because they look cooler and will also breed in your tank.

aquariumlover10
09-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Hey to cheer you up, try to guess what show this is from.
Obtuse, rubber goose, green moose! Guava juice, giant snake, birthday cake, large fries chocolate shake!

Gar
11-20-2015, 03:27 PM

If you don't have money for guppies maybe you should just search Craigslist and hope someone has some small fish for free.