PDA

View Full Version : How big should the aqua be to keep two males?

Danimgj
09-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Hey guys,

I was thinking, how big should the aqua be in order to keep two males without problem?

What about keep one male and some females in a community tank?

aquariumlover10
09-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Umm do you know why there's called siamese fighting fish? The males will vicously fight to the death, you could keep a 5 gallon with 1 male or a 30 gallon with 1 male and 2 females or a 20-30 gallon with 4-6 females, you'll need a heater and a hob filter with whatever you decide to do.

Danimgj
09-01-2014, 07:14 PM
So, is it impossible to keep 2 males together? No matter how big the tank is ?

I read one article saying that there were one big tank with some bettas, 2 males and some females, and when they meet each other, kind of fight happened, but it was just some exhibition and then they returned to them well marked territory. unfortunately it is in portuguese !

aquariumlover10
09-01-2014, 07:23 PM
If you had a divider so they couldn't touch, or a 100g aquarium with a lot of hiding places and line of sight breakage and plants it may work.
Yeah there aggesive and territorial the males that is the females are more laid back, are you thinking about bettas for your 90g?

Danimgj
09-01-2014, 07:38 PM
If you had a divider so they couldn't touch, or a 100g aquarium with a lot of hiding places and line of sight breakage and plants it may work.
Yeah there aggesive and territorial the males that is the females are more laid back, are you thinking about bettas for your 90g?

Yes, I was thinking about one male and two females.

Do you know if they do ok with acid water ?

aquariumlover10
09-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Ok sounds good, WAIT ACID water? You mean acidic water? What is it exactly?
You could have 1male and like 5 females.

Danimgj
09-01-2014, 07:45 PM
acid like 6.5 to 6.8

aquariumlover10
09-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Oh, no they lik,e hard alkaline water, you could get a water softener on your house? Is that reading from the tap?

Knightia
09-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Betta fish are best in neutral to alkaline water, typically hard water.

Just to note...a water softener will NOT improve matters for you. It'll make them worse!

aquariumlover10
09-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Oh sorry, I forgot that he wants hard water, never mind.
They sell different chemicals that will raise ph, but you can also add baking soda, or cichlid substrate to it and it should raise it, let someone back me up on this and say how much for your size tank and everyhing.

Knightia
09-01-2014, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't try to change the water you already have. Most people would prefer softer water at that pH. If I had that water I'd keep apistogramma cichlids, cardinal tetra, rummy nose tetra, and if I had a six foot tank...Denison's barbs.

aquariumlover10
09-01-2014, 08:32 PM
+1 to above.
If you really like the bubble nesters you could get some gouramis, they like soft to slightly hard water so you'll be fine.

madagascariensis
09-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Don't randomly add chemicals to your water. That is a recipe for disaster. Bettas originate in moderately soft, well vegetated swamps, but are very adaptable. Your current pH is absolutely fine.

It IS possible to keep two males together. Think about it. In nature, multiple males also live in the same swamp and aren't constantly killing each other. It is all a matter of space. I don't have experience specifically with bettas, but I've kept large groups of honey gourami(a related species) with multiple males together and everything worked out well as long as each fish had its own little territory.

The reason bettas have such a savage reputation is because people used to keep them in bowls (horrible for ANY fish btw)
With little space. If you out two humans in a stuffy, dirty, confined space then they'd get irritable and start beating each other up as well.

mommy1
09-01-2014, 08:55 PM
A large heavily planted tank, (like a rice patty heavily planted), is what would be required to keep two betta. I don't recommend it. I also don't recommend keeping males and females together in one tank. It might be fine for a little while but the males tend to get murderously aggressive towards the females after spawning and no matter how big your tank might be, you won't be able to stop that.

Cliff
09-01-2014, 09:38 PM
You got some really good advice from Mommy1, Firefly, and madagascariensis.

I would suggest you give their advice some serious consideration.

Danimgj
09-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Hey guys,

I dont know if I made my self clear.

I will not have two males together, it is just a case of curiosity, because I think it is possible. Actually there is a Video on Youtube with on aquarium with a lots of males together, they say that because of the number of the males, in the beginning they fight a lot but then they split the bites within they all, not getting that damaged, after a while they kind of get use to it.

What I was planning was to put 1 male and 2 or 3 females to split the attention of the male between them.
The Ph of this tank will be around 6.8 because I will mainly have tetras cardinal (neon) and Pterophyllum scalare.
I think the betas can do fine with this Ph, is just a matter of adapting right?
I myself had a betta in a similar set up and he did great.

Please if I`m wrong let me know.

Is it kind of crazy trying to put this male with the females ? I really think this betta would bring a special color to the tank.

aquariumlover10
09-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Can you leave a link to the vid?

jaysee
09-02-2014, 12:32 AM
Hey guys,

I dont know if I made my self clear.

I will not have two males together, it is just a case of curiosity, because I think it is possible. Actually there is a Video on Youtube with on aquarium with a lots of males together, they say that because of the number of the males, in the beginning they fight a lot but then they split the bites within they all, not getting that damaged, after a while they kind of get use to it.

What I was planning was to put 1 male and 2 or 3 females to split the attention of the male between them.

Is it kind of crazy trying to put this male with the females ? I really think this betta would bring a special color to the tank.

I think you're making yourself perfectly clear. There are videos on YouTube showing any and everything you might want to see. Doesn't mean that there is any long term viability. That goes for the "sorority" tanks as well. I just don't understand people's fascination with trying to force these fish to live in such a fashion, especially when people claim to really care about their fish.

Bettas are not African cichlids, so don't go applying the same theory. African cichlids are tough fish that NATURALLY live like that. Bettas are comparatively prissy little fish that don't handle stress well.

If you want to keep a group of bettas like that get a wild type that NATURALLY lives in a group dynamic like that. Otherwise, mixing males an females is just a terrible idea. It is crazy yes, no matter what color that special fish is. That's just not important when it comes to stocking a successful tank.

Faded
09-02-2014, 04:24 AM
I could imagine two male bettas working in a large heavily planted tank, probably a 55 gallon at the minimum, 90+ would be even more safe.
They would most likely fight every time they came close, but with plenty of territory and hiding, two healthy bettas at the same size would work out unless one happened to be extremely aggressive, which is possible.

Danimgj
09-02-2014, 07:36 AM
If you want to keep a group of bettas like that get a wild type that NATURALLY lives in a group dynamic like that. Otherwise, mixing males an females is just a terrible idea. It is crazy yes, no matter what color that special fish is. That's just not important when it comes to stocking a successful tank.

Take it easy my friend,

I pretend to keep one male with some females, I know that this is not that natural to them, that is why I am making some research and asking your opinions. If it does not work, I will keep only the male.

Regarding the video, I will try to find it on youtube once I arrive home.

jaysee
09-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Take it easy my friend,

I pretend to keep one male with some females, I know that this is not that natural to them, that is why I am making some research and asking your opinions. If it does not work, I will keep only the male.

Take it easy? Did capitalizing "naturally" make you feel like I was yelling at you or something? Believe me, no one cares less about how anyone else keeps their fish than I. I think perhaps you missed the point of what I was saying, which is that wild type bettas are what you need to do what you want to do.

afro123
09-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Take it easy my friend,

Regarding the video, I will try to find it on youtube once I arrive home.

So go along with keeping only the male and dont add any more bettas.

Fluffy
08-25-2015, 11:58 PM
I did (accidentally) have two males in the same tank. A 40 gallon community tank. It worked out pretty well. One of them was very "chill" and didn't bother with anyone or anything, the other one was a little bruiser and spent all his time picking fights with the other fish (I had some mollies, a rainbow shark, cory cats, oto's, cherry barbs, and snails) and left the other betta alone. They stuck to their own sides of the tank, didn't have anything to do with one another. Lived completely different life styles. It helped that my tank was made with a lot of hiding places, live and fake plants, and in general was meant to be "a cowards paradise" for fish.