PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my bettas home from 3.65 to 5.5 gallons

Faded
08-09-2014, 02:07 PM
I just really want to see the guy have more room to swim. I've had it for about 6 months now and I think it's time for an upgrade.

I'm going to do a rather simple design, not sure if I'll have plants yet. When I do this I'll be sure to take pictures of the tank.
Only thing it will be kept with is a Nerite snail. Pretty sure nothing else is a good idea in a small tank.

bcarrot
08-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Sounds great! I'm sure the little guy will be super excited to have more room to swim. I have two betta. They are each in their own 10g and LOVE it and they both have a horned nerite snail to keep them company. Can't wait to see the tank :)

neil19roth
08-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Shifting to a 5.5 gallon tank is a great move. Congrats :thumbup:

jaysee
08-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Nerites are a good choice to go with bettas because so much of them is protected by their shells. Their antennae are really small - small targets for the betta, unlike mystery snails that have big ones and eye stalks.

That being said, I don't know that a 5 is large enough to support a nerite without constant attention from you, making sure that it's getting enough to eat.

afro123
08-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Nerites are a good choice to go with bettas because so much of them is protected by their shells. Their antennae are really small - small targets for the betta, unlike mystery snails that have big ones and eye stalks.

That being said, I don't know that a 5 is large enough to support a nerite without constant attention from you, making sure that it's getting enough to eat.

Waitaminute!!!
I always thought snails just snack on leftover food and algae in the tank. Is that right?

And congrats on the upgrade faded :)

jaysee
08-22-2014, 10:00 AM
There's not much algae in a small tank like that and there shouldn't be a whole lot of leftover food when feeding a single betta.

afro123
08-22-2014, 10:08 AM
ohhh.
But what if you put a bit of moss or something? Will that sustain the nerite snail?

jaysee
08-22-2014, 12:13 PM
If I were to try to do that again I would culture algae outside the tank. I'd have a series of glasses of water with rocks or something in them on the windowsill that way I could rotate them in and out and provide a steady supply of food.

Compass
08-22-2014, 12:26 PM
I know there is a big difference between a five and a ten gallon but I've got my betta in a 10 with a huge mystery snail, kuhli loaches, and anguillaris loaches. Again, every betta is different but mine doesn't bother anyone. If anything the loaches pester him more. lol They even bother the snail more than he does.

jaysee
08-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Yeah I think tank size has more to do with that than anything. A 10 isn't very big, especially for loaches.

Faded
08-24-2014, 03:28 PM
There's actually been an extreme algae outbreak(I really don't know why, but it's moving anyways) in the 3.65, so the snail has been able to eat.
I'll probably put it in another tank while the 5.5 is cycling, then let him clean up the 5.5 every time it gets some algae, then take it out again. Rinse and repeat.

afro123
08-24-2014, 03:53 PM
That seems like a good plan

Faded
09-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Set it up today.

sheamurai
09-07-2014, 08:27 PM
very interesting! can't say as I've seen a bettascape like that recently...if you aren't going to get plants, maybe some floating plants like water lettuce might be a thought? Bettas like their greenery and water lettuce or the like wouldn't detract from your 'scape.

Faded
09-07-2014, 09:36 PM
very interesting! can't say as I've seen a bettascape like that recently...if you aren't going to get plants, maybe some floating plants like water lettuce might be a thought? Bettas like their greenery and water lettuce or the like wouldn't detract from your 'scape.

I may just put some extra java fern I have in there.

afro123
09-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Try covering the DW with moss too.
But I like the hardscape :)

Compass
09-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Looks really cool. I think tying some java moss off to the DW is a good idea too. Floating plants would still be nice and would keep the scape looking clean. Water sprite is what I use and I like how the leaves break up the light coming in.

Faded
09-22-2014, 09:56 PM
It's been enjoying sitting at the higher area. The only downside is I can't see the fishes color as well because of the light. May change the lighting or move it to a fluval 8 gallon.