PDA

View Full Version : Lackluster Betta

SeaLady
07-16-2014, 11:50 PM
My betta has been....so not himself...He doesn't move around much, doesn't spar with his reflection, hides in his cave a LOT, stopped responding to food 3 days ago. He sits on the bottom, he hangs at the top. So lethargic, I'm worried.

I've read on other posts about being in his 10ga tank by himself, he's in an area with activity going on. Water parameters are spot on, temp right around 80. Did a WC change 3 days ago. He has no outward appearance of disease or discomfort. No bloating, scrapes, cuts, fin rot, no physical damage I can see...he's just there...there is 1 Nerite snail and 1 horned snail in the tank with him. I was contemplating adding a small school of tetras and see if he perks up at the company but I think I'll wait and make sure he has no disease waiting to show up.

Its distressing not to have any symptoms to work with. I read that their life span is 2-4 years. I remember I was given a Betta in a vase one year by my boss....I know, I know,...this was BE (before enlightenment). He lived over 4 years...poor guy...

I haven't had this guy for all that long, tho. Maybe 6 months...more...

Compass
07-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Hmmm doesn't sound good at all. Although bettas are considered rather hardy, they are mass produced to the point that it is likely you get one that is of poor genetic quality and doesn't live long. With that being said I wonder if it is parasitic since no outward symptoms are showing it could be internal. I'm not very good with fish diseases so I'll just bump this and hopefully someone more experienced will give you a better idea of what to do.

Slaphppy7
07-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Try parking a small mirror next to the tank so that he can see , a few hours each day...if he perks up with his newfound "company", he may indeed enjoy a few other fish in the tank with him

Temps are right, params are right...if he's eating good and his coloring looks good, I'd just wait it out and see

What do you feed him?....bettas are carnivores, they enjoy a meaty diet

Compass
07-17-2014, 02:00 PM
See I thought that too, but she said he isn't responding to his reflection or eating at all.

Slaphppy7
07-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I guess I could have read a bit more carefully before responding

If he's not being offered meaty food to begin with, and won't take something like frozen brine shrimp or blood worms, then I'd maybe start to worry, too

Compass
07-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I guess I could have read a bit more carefully before responding

If he's not being offered meaty food to begin with, and won't take something like frozen brine shrimp or blood worms, then I'd maybe start to worry, too

Very true. Like Matt asked, what are you feeding him currently SeaLady?

SeaLady
07-19-2014, 03:01 AM
I feed him Betta bits, dry food. I've tried peas, and daphnia, bloodworms...He's eaten the bloodworms before but he makes a jerky movement when he does...like its hot or something. Right now, hes not interested in anything. Today I'm thinking he's looking a little "swollen" right behind his gills and underneath...like his "chest"...but its so subtle that I think I'm just imagining it...

Compass
07-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Hmmm this is a mystery SeaLady. I'm sorry, I got nothin'. I'll just pump this then and see what happens.

SeaLady
07-19-2014, 03:43 PM
well, dagnab it, I posted a pic but it didn't show up....let me try again...he is not interested in the pea..and the "swelling" to me seems more noticeable this morning...

SeaLady
07-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Hate reporting that BlueBoy is gone....

Slaphppy7
07-20-2014, 12:23 AM
RIP BlueBoy, sorry for your loss Mona...

SeaLady
07-20-2014, 03:52 AM
RIP BlueBoy, sorry for your loss Mona...

Appreciate it, Matt. thanks

CherrySparkles
08-04-2014, 09:32 PM
So sorry for your loss as well. :(