PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed from.....

eltylT
06-30-2014, 09:00 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/01/usepehyr.jpg this is the tank I want to house the Betta

eltylT
06-30-2014, 09:00 PM
the people I trust about what fish and how many I can keep in my 30gallon tank . It is semi-planted at this time with sand substrate , has a naturally looking cave made of large rocks . The one inhabitant that I want is a Betta that will be purchased soon . My real question is what could I keep with him if he chooses to get along with them? Floating plants I will have to order online because none of the fish stores in my area carry them for some reason I can't figure out unless its because of low or no demand. The tank is cycled and was home for Tiger Barbs and oto's . I've moved the TB's to one of my 55's and left the otos in . At this time there are only 2 but will up the number to what you think will be a good number if the Betta will get along with them . Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I need the suggestions to give me some more research to do . THANK YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PIC OF TANK TO FOLLOW SHORTLY.:feedback:

Slaphppy7
06-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Get with this guy for your plants: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=116142

As for fish with a betta, any of the smaller tetras should be fine...maybe some danios or rasboras...just depends on what you like

Drew's_Fish_99
06-30-2014, 09:33 PM
For tank mates, just don't do anything larger then the betta, nippy, or with similar fins (aka, guppies have similar fins so betta's wouldn't be too fond of them). Slap's suggestions are good ones! Harlequin Rasboras look great in a planted tank as do Cardinals. If this was my tank, I would probably do 12 Cardinals, 12 Harlequins, and a Betta of either a purple or blue, and if it was planted well enough, some red cherry shrimp.

eltylT
06-30-2014, 11:12 PM
The plants look terrible and you can't see them very well but they are there.

eltylT
06-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the link and the suggested roomates . Will get back to researching now . Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Slaphppy7
06-30-2014, 11:19 PM
Looks great, really will after you add a background..

One favor, please?...can you ask the mods to combine the 2 threads you started with the same title?

I'm getting older, and can be confused more easily :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, it would make things alot less confusing for others too, IMO, and you may get better answers and input thumbs2:

eltylT
07-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Thank you slap I am going to do that this morning . Thanks sgain

Compass
07-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I would also second the background. That will make things better. Also what kind of lights are you running? They seem to be rather low and you might do better getting some low light anubais and crypt plants.

aquariumlover10
07-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Umm just saying if that plant on the left is a bannana plant the roots have to be exposed

Triton
07-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Looks like the plants all are planted a bit deep, you want the crown of the swords to be showing

eltylT
07-01-2014, 01:17 PM
THANKS for the replies folks . The lights are the standard florescence and maybe old enough to change out ,,no banana plants can you elaborate a bit own (crown)TRITON? THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME . PLEASE HELP ME OUT some more cause this is my wifes fish and I want to keep her happy as well as the Betta. I pmed Cliff to see if he will combine my two threads thank you again slap as well as the others . WILL be checking back in a coupla hours maybe Cliff will have them together then . c'ya' in a bit.

aquariumlover10
07-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Ok what is the plant on the right?

eltylT
07-01-2014, 03:14 PM
That is an African Sword that seems to be about to melt away,the one in middle front is also a sword -it seems to be in better shape . The plant on left front WAS a beautiful lily that is about to die away ,it is the same one that I posted pics of in the past. you can't see them to well in that pic but there are two anubias in there one is attached to top of the little house the other is on the left in front of the tombstone . There is one crypt that is trying to anchor to the little barrel in back left . ???? Should I remove the sword on the right and maybe prune the one up front? Do you think the lily will come back or do they die off after awhile ? At one point I had aponogeton in there and it went wild with growth almost to the point of taking over the entire tank ,but when I had a good number of tiger barbs they ate it up , they also ate nearly all the large bottom leaves of the lily which I think brought on its decline. I know I'm rambling on but just trying to give a little info about the plants.I'll let this sink in and answer what I can after more responses if anyone reads all this . oh and I add 5-10 drops of seachems FLOURISH twice weekly . Is that enough or ......

eltylT
07-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Hope I remember how this work's35079the plant furthest right was a sword .Do you think I should remove it ?

Compass
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM
The crown is the point between the leaves and the roots. It should be a rather large knot. Just pull them up a bit. I would cut off all the dead leaves. All they are doing is sucking life from the plant at this point. I'm confused about the crypt. You said it is trying to anchor to a barrel? They should be planted into the substrate, they won't attach to things like anubais will.

eltylT
07-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I think I got that wrong . In pic above is that an anubias. If so I need to put the other in the substrate. Will get a pic of it in a minute. Thank You.

Compass
07-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Yes, that is an anubias in that picture.

eltylT
07-01-2014, 09:56 PM
This must be a crypt . If so I will plant it In substrate.35080

eltylT
07-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Can you see Bart i feel like he is enjoying his new home

fishmommie
07-01-2014, 10:29 PM
How old is Bart or how long has he been alone in his own tank?
The longer he's been alone, the more difficult it will be to introduce smaller fish.
I have a betta with neons (but they're large neons) and little endlers. No problem but it was their tank before it was his :o)
Harleys would be a good choice as has been stated. You could add some cory cats on the bottom. they don't bother anyone:o)

eltylT
07-01-2014, 10:43 PM
WE just got him away from PETSM..T yesterday. going to introduce him to some roomates on the third . Do you think he could get along with some RED-EYED TETRAS . MAYBE AROUND 12-15 OR SO. Cant find any Harleys in my area .

afro123
07-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Im not too sure but i have heard Red Eyes peaceful that they are might nip at fish with long fins if they do not have enough room.
I personally wood go with Black Neons or Zebra danios 2 of the most hardy fish i have ever had
the zebra personally is more easier to take care off(just saying)

SueD
07-02-2014, 11:18 AM
This must be a crypt . If so I will plant it In substrate.35080

The plant coming out of the barrel looks like it could be a java fern. If so, it will have a rhizome and roots. Only the roots can be in the sand; the rhizome must stay above. This plant can anchor to something. Maybe the barrel, but usually some driftwood.