PDA

View Full Version : Sick betta in a new tank

Pele
06-27-2014, 05:33 AM
So I just switched my betta into a new 5.5 gallon tank. I did all the necessary stuff with dechlorination, the water chemistry is all fine, the temperature is good, but my betta (Swim Shady) has been acting wierd. He's hanging out at the bottom of the tank and not moving much. He'll come up for air, but he's disinterested in food and any other activities. Help?

Compass
06-27-2014, 10:53 AM
How old is he? I'm assuming you cycled the tank first. Are there any physical signs of illness? Bloating, redness, stuff like that.

mommy1
06-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Pele!
You say the temperature is fine, but what is it exactly? Are their plants in the tank? How about other fish, snails. or shrimps?

And Swim Shady is one of the best fish names I've heard.

Pele
06-28-2014, 07:02 PM
The temperature in the tank is 74 F, which is on the low end but he's been fine in that range before. There's a few live plants in the tank, mostly swords and some duckweed. The fish is kept by itself. I've had him for around two years, and yes the tank is cycled. He looked like he was getting better for a while, but now he's floating at a 45 degree angle in a corner of the tank, only moving once in a while for food. One of his eyes is looking red, like the top half of it.

mommy1
06-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Everything I have ever read, and in my experience, betta tanks should not be below 76f, and low 80's is best. The cooler the water the more lethargic and prone to disease your betta will/may become. I would start with slowly raising the temperature to 78-80f.
Try an extra water change or two per week for a while and see if that helps the redness on his eye.

Pele
06-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Huh, I guess it's been a while for me. I just upped the temperature and am about to do a water change, so we'll see how that goes

Slaphppy7
06-28-2014, 07:30 PM
You'll want to raise the temp slowly, a degree or two every hour

fishmommie
06-28-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm also curious, what do you get for readings when you test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. And how long ago did you switch him over. days or weeks?

madagascariensis
06-29-2014, 12:40 AM
could it be that the fish just is shaken from the move? after all, bettas do form territories and get attached to them.

aquariumlover10
07-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Um this is a older thread I think but the betta has swim bladder dieseas you should feed him peas like u would eat just plain and make sure he eats them and he should be fine