PDA

View Full Version : Losing my betta

Compass
06-24-2014, 09:32 AM
So I've had a betta for almost two years in a 5.5 gallon fish tank. I got this fish for my wife and I'm going to be honest here even if it hurts my reputation. I cared very little about this fish. Don't get me wrong I did his water changes, I fed him every day, I just didn't have any emotional connection to him. The best way I can describe it is, having a dog chained up in the back yard. Sure you feed it but you never go play with it and it just sits there. The tank was rather bare after a cyanobacteria outbreak. Just two store bought aquarium decorations and a crypt that was struggling to grow. He started losing fins and I thought it was an infection so I treated for a good while and upped my water changes and it didn't seem to help. Now I'm certain it was because he was bored. I'll admit it, that tank.... boring. Well I did one thing right, if not too little too late. I started up a 10 gallon that was going to be heavily planted and I was going to add some bottom dwellers to keep him company. I got it set up last night and brought it up to my bedroom to switch out the 5.5. Well, there he was, laying on the substrate like he was dead. I immediately did a large water change, not hard with a tank like that. I really started watching him. He just lays there listlessly, his color has faded immensely, his eyes are bugged out a little, he looks very thin. I'm sitting there appalled cause I never caught it before now. I would just feed him and go on about my life, didn't really take the time to look at him. I probably sat there a good 20 minutes. I feel terrible. He flutters about a little but tires easy and lays back on the substrate. At this point I don't know what I can do. I dosed with some mela-fix. Only stuff I've got at the moment. I'm more inclined to think I need to put him down. He looks miserable and I feel he hasn't long for this world.

Sorry for this super long post, just needed to get that off my chest.

mommy1
06-24-2014, 11:10 AM
I've been stuck with fish I don't really like too. I understand.
At this point unless he starts to show improvement today, it would probably be best to just euth him.

aquariumlover10
06-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Try feeding him peas it may be related to swim bladder of he cant get to surface, bettafix will help if there is something wrong with fins or a bacterial infection, the only ingredient I know of in betta fix is tea tree oil.

Compass
06-24-2014, 11:53 AM
I've been stuck with fish I don't really like too. I understand.
At this point unless he starts to show improvement today, it would probably be best to just euth him.
Yeah, I dosed with melafix, not sure if it'll do anything but it seems a rather less invasive med and all I have at the moment. If I don't see improvement I'll put him down today. =/

Try feeding him peas it may be related to swim bladder of he cant get to surface, bettafix will help if there is something wrong with fins or a bacterial infection, the only ingredient I know of in betta fix is tea tree oil.

Thanks AL10, your suggestions would probably have worked if I had done so a while ago. Now I think he is too far gone. Though I am using the tea tree oil.

aquariumlover10
06-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Ok, my betya died recently too I had him for about 2.5 years and he was about a year old when I got him so he was 3.5 years old.

Compass
06-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah mine was younger than that. It isn't old age getting him. It was me =(

Fishhook
06-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your Betta. Like moms said, some you do just tend to take care of more than others and its by no way any indication that you don't care for the fish. So don't beat yourself up.

My Betta tank...I mean my daughter's Betta tank is in her room. It is out-of-site, out-of-mind and I have to make it point to go in check on him. I can tell when he is listless as well. He always seems to like it when I come into the room..almost like a dog greeting me at the door when I come home from work.

If its not too late for him and you do try to save him, if someone is there during the day, just have them walk into the room and interactive with him at the glass..sometimes that's all the stimulation they need to keep them from being bored.

Slaphppy7
06-24-2014, 03:17 PM
The best way I can describe it is, having a dog chained up in the back yard. Sure you feed it but you never go play with it and it just sits there.

Stuff like that makes me sick to my stomach.

Sorry about the betta Rob, but that's what happens when pets are neglected, regardless of what they are.

You've been keeping fish long enough to know what to do.

Trillianne
06-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Do keep in mind that the average lifespan of a betta is 2-4 years. I have read that the pet store bettas are usually in the 7-12 month range.

So a significant part of the issue here is also the age of the fish. Creatures at the far end of their lifespans tend to have a much harder time recovering from smaller issues.

Compass
06-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Stuff like that makes me sick to my stomach.

Sorry about the betta Rob, but that's what happens when pets are neglected, regardless of what they are.

You've been keeping fish long enough to know what to do.

Yeah, really made me evaluate how I care for the little guys. I'll never get another fish if I don't think I'm going to treat it like a prize discus.

Slaphppy7
06-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Yeah, really made me evaluate how I care for the little guys. I'll never get another fish if I don't think I'm going to treat it like a prize discus.

Don't be too hard on yourself, sorry if I came off kind of brash with you....but you DO know what it takes to properly care for fish

Like Trilli said, it may have been his time, anyway

Fish don't ask to be kept by us, we choose to keep them, so we gotta do the best for them if we're gonna call ourselves responsible fish keepers

mommy1
06-24-2014, 03:46 PM
. Like moms said, some you do just tend to take care of more than others and its by no way any indication that you don't care for the fish.
Wait a minute. Don't put words into my post. I never said I didn't take good care of ALL my fish. What I said was I've had fish I didn't like and I understand not liking a fish. Regardless of why I take on the responsibility of a fish, I take that responsibility seriously.

fishmommie
06-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Sorry about the betta. I lost one recently too. He had all he needed. Nice 15 gal, planted tank. some neons to distract him, a lot of people movement in the room and a lot of attention and interaction from the hubby and me - and he died anyway after less than a year.
the point being: sometimes, they simply die and it's no one's fault.
you may not have given your betta a lot of attention but you gave him a healthy environment, saved him from a cup in a store or from someone who would have put him in a bowl with no heater or filter.
So, don't beat yourself up over it.

gronlaura
06-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Sorry about your betta, Rob. Sometimes it's just their time to go.

Compass
06-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I was sitting here and thinking I will get another one. I set up the 10 gallon last night for this little fellow and well you know the story. I know the wife loves bettas, but fish are not her passion and it is my responsibility to keep them. So I want to get another one for her and for me. I'll take good care of him and use this hard learned lesson to become a better fish keeper.

fishmommie
06-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I was sitting here and thinking I will get another one. I set up the 10 gallon last night for this little fellow and well you know the story. I know the wife loves bettas, but fish are not her passion and it is my responsibility to keep them. So I want to get another one for her and for me. I'll take good care of him and use this hard learned lesson to become a better fish keeper.

Some lucky betta will have an amazing new space! get him a hidey hole and maybe some neons or cardinals to distract him. Mine cohabitate beautifully. If you buy them together, and get a juvi betta, there shouldn't be any problem.

edit: ps - endlers might also work. again, they do with my betta.

Compass
06-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Some lucky betta will have an amazing new space! get him a hidey hole and maybe some neons or cardinals to distract him. Mine cohabitate beautifully. If you buy them together, and get a juvi betta, there shouldn't be any problem. should

:) That's the plan. The new tank is planted with Tritons crypts and has a nice terracotta pot in there for him. Though I was thinking about getting some kuhli loaches and they might hog the pot. lol

Sandz
06-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Well my opinion sir is that the sting of the loss of whatever happened here affected you in a good way. You learn from it, you move on and make it better... Just also understand that betta's are lazy with their overbred fins and sometimes even 'sleep' on things. If this isnt the case im sorry but it COULD be... never know.

Also look into pigmy cory's, maybe a few small rasbora like galaxy rasbora/cpd's or chili's and do a tank like you would want and add a nice pretty betta in there. There are some really nice ones on aquabid that are great looking fish and arent just a normal pet store betta if that is something that may tickle your fancy a bit more?

Compass
06-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Well my opinion sir is that the sting of the loss of whatever happened here affected you in a good way. You learn from it, you move on and make it better... Just also understand that betta's are lazy with their overbred fins and sometimes even 'sleep' on things. If this isnt the case im sorry but it COULD be... never know.

Also look into pigmy cory's, maybe a few small rasbora like galaxy rasbora/cpd's or chili's and do a tank like you would want and add a nice pretty betta in there. There are some really nice ones on aquabid that are great looking fish and arent just a normal pet store betta if that is something that may tickle your fancy a bit more?

Thanks Sandz, yeah he is really not acting like himself, I know how they like to lay down and what not.

I haven't scratched pigmies off the list yet, just throwing stuff around the old brain at this point. I did notice my LFS had a jet black crowntail for 23 bucks! I was very impressed by this fish, maybe it's just his color and fin type but he looks like a killer. hahaha I'd be afraid to put anything in there with him. First time I've seen a really good betta in an LFS though. I'll talk to the wife and let her pick which one she wants. Something we can do together.

steeler58
06-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Sorry for the loss of your Betta Rob.

Sandz
06-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks Sandz, yeah he is really not acting like himself, I know how they like to lay down and what not.

I haven't scratched pigmies off the list yet, just throwing stuff around the old brain at this point. I did notice my LFS had a jet black crowntail for 23 bucks! I was very impressed by this fish, maybe it's just his color and fin type but he looks like a killer. hahaha I'd be afraid to put anything in there with him. First time I've seen a really good betta in an LFS though. I'll talk to the wife and let her pick which one she wants. Something we can do together.

Doing it together is the best way to do it ;-)

Fishhook
06-24-2014, 07:04 PM
moms, I didn't interpret your post like that. By "take care of more than others" I meant as to like some fish more than others, which is what was posted.
I also added in that sentence.....it isn't by no way any indication that you don't care for the fish

sorry for the misinterpretation of the interpretationthumbs2:

Fishhook
06-24-2014, 07:13 PM
I did notice my LFS had a jet black crowntail for 23 bucks! I was very impressed by this fish, maybe it's just his color and fin type but he looks like a killer. hahaha I'd be afraid to put anything in there with him. First time I've seen a really good betta in an LFS though. I'll talk to the wife and let her pick which one she wants. Something we can do together.

Fish Mania had two Dragon Scale Bettas left when I was out there today. very pretty ones.

mommy1
06-24-2014, 07:15 PM
moms, I didn't interpret your post like that. By "take care of more than others" I meant as to like some fish more than others, which is what was posted.
I also added in that sentence.....it isn't by no way any indication that you don't care for the fish

sorry for the misinterpretation of the interpretationHaven't we done this before? :cheers:

Slaphppy7
06-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Ooooh, beers ^^^

Fishhook
06-24-2014, 07:19 PM
I think so lol.
beers all around

Sandz
06-24-2014, 07:29 PM
I think so lol.
beers all around

MmmMm Beer!

gronlaura
06-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Good Lord, from bettas to beers........The new betta will be a lucky dude.

fishmommie
06-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Is it beer Friday all ready???:thumbup:

Slaphppy7
06-24-2014, 09:43 PM
Is it beer Friday all ready???:thumbup:

God, I wish...please make it so, Cindy, I beg of you...hell week at work, if you haven't guessed yet

Compass
06-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Man you all got drunk up in here! hahaha

Well I went home last night and he just laid on the bottom and wouldn't move, so I decided to put him down. Hardest thing I've done since starting this hobby. Hope to God I never have to again. :(

I'm going to take the Mrs. to the LFS some time in the near future to look at bettas, still cycling the 10 gallon with some established BB so it shouldn't take long, really don't want to put anything new in the 5.5 the betta was in originally. No idea what might be floating around in there. Here is a picture that is close to the betta I saw at the LFS.

So awesome looking! I'm not going to push the wife to get him, just take her to see him and see what she thinks.

darkmerlin21
06-25-2014, 02:02 PM
I know I'm really late here but I'm sorry about the betta. The positive here is that you and your wife will be able to start with a new one together. The pic of the black one is certainly gorgeous but it kind of reminds me of the Dragon in a fairy tale. I would be expecting it to breathe fire at any moment.. lol.

Slaphppy7
06-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Yeah, even though it's a heartbreaker, you did right by the betta, Rob...it's a rough patch to go through, but like you said, hopefully doesn't happen too often

That black betta is wild looking, I like it, but I still prefer some color with bettas

fishmommie
06-25-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm sure you'll find the perfect betta for both of you.
I do kind of like the Dragon though :o)

Compass
06-25-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm sure you'll find the perfect betta for both of you.
I do kind of like the Dragon though :o)

But you see what I mean. If any betta was going to go nuts and kill everything in the tank, this would be the one. HAHAHAHa I bet he's a big baby.

gronlaura
06-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Love the black betta. Sorry about your boy.

JudiJetson
06-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the betta Rob but you came away from it a better fish keeper and that's a good thing. I'm considering getting one myself but haven't figured out where I could put it as I want to make sure there's activity around the tank.

Compass
06-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks Judi and Laura, the new tank is by my bed and I plan on giving it a lot of attention.

Cliff
06-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Sorry to read about this compass

cm12setx
06-26-2014, 01:32 AM
Compass, sorry to hear about the betta. Thanks for sharing. Because it made me realize the hole point of my wife's half-moon tank was the new home for her betta.
and here a laugh for his new home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCQHQhkIiOg

Fishhook
06-26-2014, 02:31 AM
sorry bud. He's swimming under the rainbow bridge feasting on mosquito larvae and having a good time now.

Good luck on whatever you and Mrs. Compass choose.

If you do go with the Dragon and you aren't afraid to give him a girl name like we did ours...ahem Elsa (from Frozen)..
a perfect name for him would be Maleficent
...or Cash after Johnny Cash ;-)