PDA

View Full Version : Help!

force3816
06-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Hi guys im matthew, ive recently purchased a betta fish and his fins are starting to rip/tear, as i can see there is no fungus around the tips of his fins so i didnt think it was fin rot, hes in a 54 litre tank, ammonia is 0, ph 7, nitrates etc 0 and temp is 26 celsius and i do regular water changes adding aquarium salt as instructed on packaging. I have power filter on its lowest setting and recently removed all artifical plants and turned off air stone but power filter is interpet pf1 and bubbbles to produce oxygen. His tank mates are a plec,bristle nosed catfish and 3 khuli loach. I feed him tetra betta food and also have blood worm for treat. But still fins are getting worse. I tried taking pics but hes always on the move. And help would be great.347273472834729

mommy1
06-23-2014, 11:46 AM
First, stop using salt with the catfish and loaches in the tank. Your betta may be bored, or the other fish stressing him, so he is nipping his own fins. It might also be a nutritional problem. Try feeding him a better quality food for a while. In the meantime, while his fins heal up, keep doing 50% water changes to prevent infection. You might want to add some live plants for him to explore and hide in as well.

madagascariensis
06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Your water parameters are quite unusual. In a cycled tank that isn't heavily planted, there always are some detectable nitrates. Considering that this is a recent acquisition (how long ago, exactly?) I suspect that it isn't cycled and the fish are experiencing water quality issues.
There are cycling instructions in the beginner's forum that I would recommend you look at.

PS: I recommend you review your stocking as well. Only the betta is really suited to life in a 54 liter tank. The "plec" which I presume is a common pleco may exceed a foot and requires a 250+ liter tank.
Both the bristlenose and the kuhli loach need a tank 80 liters or more, and the loaches also need a group of 6+ individuals.
In the future, please always do independent research before taking action. Fishkeeping is much more complicated that most people think.

fishmommie
06-23-2014, 01:43 PM
great advice from Mommy1 and Madagascar and both are spot on. Your pleco and loaches cannot handle the salt.
do those 50% W/C that she suggested daily. clean water is the best cure for damaged fins.
set something bright and shiny or colorful beside the tank (a potato chip bag or greeting card) to distract the betta and give him something to focus. move it around a few times a day and change it out for something different every once in a while. As mommy1 said, bettas get bored easily and in a basically empty tank, he has nothing to entertain or occupy him.

And again - that tank is grossly overstocked and most likely not cycled. If you just set it up, see if you can return the pleco and loaches then try them again when you can get a tank the proper size.
good luck!

aquariumlover10
06-23-2014, 02:22 PM
It may be fin melt but what ever I would treat with api betta fix.

fishmommie
06-23-2014, 03:18 PM
It may be fin melt but what ever I would treat with api betta fix.

The betta fix may or may not help but shouldn't hurt. I'd first get those larger fish out of there and get on those daily W/C.

force3816
06-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Thanks for advice guys, my tank as been setup for 2yrs but ive had cold water fish previous and decided to go tropical 4 weeks ago. I use api 5 in 1 test strip and have ammonia test kit, my friend is taking the khuli loach as he has bigger tank. I will get pic of 5 in 1 test results. I use interpet bioactive tap safe for when water changes

force3816
06-23-2014, 07:40 PM
No2 = 1, No3 = 40

force3816
06-23-2014, 07:42 PM
34738 5 in 1 test results

aquariumlover10
06-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Uhhhhhh no clue about parremeters but those should both be 0 by now

mommy1
06-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Uhhhhhh no clue about parremeters but those should both be 0 by nowIf you have no clue about parameters then you should not comment about them.

The nitrite should be 0ppm, the nitrate is a bit on the high side but still in what is considered acceptable. 1ppm nitrite is probably what is stressing the betta. I suggest a 75% water change to bring them (and the nitrate) down. I didn't read the other posts here so sorry if you already addressed this but, you should get a better test kit, most here use API master test kit, but there is a new trend moving to Seachems for at least the nitrate. Either one will give you better readings than the strips.

aquariumlover10
06-23-2014, 08:15 PM
I meant to puti don't know anything about testing them, I hate auto correct

fishmommie
06-23-2014, 08:25 PM
again, Mommy1 is right.
If your tank is cycled, you should have 0 for nitrite reading.
I didn't see any ammonia reading.

force3816
06-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Khuli loach have gone. And ammonia test piccy34739

force3816
06-23-2014, 09:15 PM
With loaches gone straight away hes spending more time near bottom of tank and hes chilled out in spongebob pineapple house with head just sticking out lol

fishmommie
06-23-2014, 09:34 PM
With loaches gone straight away hes spending more time near bottom of tank and hes chilled out in spongebob pineapple house with head just sticking out lol

glad to hear it. And good for you for really making the effort.
I think once you get the pleco out of there and get those nitrites and nitrates down, you'll see more improvement.
NitrItes should be 0 and anything above .25ppm can be harmful. While nitrAtes of 40 is not lethal, try to shoot for 10 - 20 ppm max. your water changes will take care of that.

force3816
06-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Ok thankyou very much betta ate very beautiful fish and mine is such a character he also eats bloodworm from my finger tips

force3816
06-23-2014, 09:56 PM
*are, lol fat fingers