PDA

View Full Version : Betta in 75 gallon community

fpgill
06-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Hello,

I'd like to add a betta to my 75 gallon community and need advice on whether this would be OK.

Other residents are:
bristlenose plecos
cory cats
blackskirt tetras
gold barbs
Buenos aires tetras
Siamese algae eaters

thanks!

Aeonflame
06-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Barbs, blackskirts and buenos aires tetras are all known fin nippers. It could could work but be wary of this and prepare to remove the betta if any such behavior is witnessed. Also, bettas are prone to overeating in a community setting, causing constipation and bloat.

tlriot
06-04-2014, 09:16 AM
What school size schools do you have for the bards and tetras? Larger schools means more confident fish, means less aggression. Sometimes. In a tank that size the betta would have enough space to make his own territory and get away, but barbs and tetras are very active (duh) and may still pester him.

Generally, betas in community tanks is always 50/50 and well worth a shot, in my opinion. If peace ensues, that is an amazing set-up. If not, have another tank on hand and ready to remove him.

Another last thought is looking into plakat bettas. Their short fins are less enticing and they are just as beautiful. Personally, plakats are my favorite. They are much more active, not weighed down by so much flare.