PDA

View Full Version : bettas not doing well

aquariumlover10
05-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Ok so this morning I went to the beach but I looked at my tank and my betta was sucked aginsed the filter intake so I put him in the breeder box and I just put him in a half gallon tank which is the clostest thing to a quarintine tank I put in some hornwort a couple pieces of gravel and a diy box filter with a air stone I also put some food in incase the other fish were out compiting him for food should I put in some api betta fix or wait.

mommy1
05-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Do a water change to clean any uneaten food out of his tank. What temperature is this QT tank? How old is the betta? And if you have a water test kit, test the main tank for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

aquariumlover10
05-30-2014, 06:18 PM
The ghost shrimps take care of the food and I do a small water change every week did one today the qt tank is use the same water from main tank will replace a small amount everyother day, bettas 3-4 years old, I don't have a test kit but with my mosquitofish fry and baby ghost shrimp I think they would show sighns first, and my filter is rated for 60 gallons, plus all my live plants my paremeters should be fine.

mommy1
05-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Betta usually live 3-4 years. You've had this betta since you were 6?

aquariumlover10
05-30-2014, 07:35 PM
No I was 8 but it was about 1-1.5 years old when I got it, so somewhere inbetween 3 and 4 should I put some bettafix in there its active ingredient is tea tree oil well it says melaleuca but I looked it up and what I read said it is the same thing.

aquariumlover10
05-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Ok I figured out what he has he has dropsy what should I do with him and other fish, I haven't seen any sighs on other fish.

aquariumlover10
05-30-2014, 08:10 PM
C'mon people this is life or death here.

aquariumlover10
05-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Please help, I read that 1/2 a teaspoon per half gallon epsom salt baths for 15-20 miutes daily will cure it?

aquariumlover10
05-30-2014, 08:46 PM
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aquariumlover10
05-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Ok I put in 5 drops of betta fix but still waiting for some one to respond.

Cliff
05-31-2014, 12:08 AM
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You already got some great help below

Do a water change to clean any uneaten food out of his tank. What temperature is this QT tank? How old is the betta? And if you have a water test kit, test the main tank for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

You might want to listen to her

aquariumlover10
05-31-2014, 12:41 AM
Ok I got that but how much epsom salt do I put in the half gallon qt.?

Compass
05-31-2014, 12:51 AM
I'm not familiar with that particular disease so I'm not going to suggest a treatment. The betta fix was a good start. I rather like that stuff. Make sure you do more water changes. Like it was said before, this betta is rather old. It could just be it's time to go. I really hope he pulls through for you though.

Compass
05-31-2014, 12:54 AM
I would say for the future you might think about saving up some money and getting the API test kit. Or ask your parents very nicely to get you one. It can really help you a lot and if nothing else give you peace of mind.

aquariumlover10
05-31-2014, 01:06 AM
Yeah when I first got a tank it was because I had to take my pond down and we had some goldfish that hadn't got eated by hawks so we got a 10 gallon for them until we could put thepond in somewhere else but it cracked when it was sitting out on the lawn so we did stuff got some new fish put the old ones in a cow water barrel so yea didn't ever start out good so never got a test kit every time I took it to petsmart for them to test it it was fine.

Cliff
05-31-2014, 01:14 AM
A part of why you have not been getting too many response is that you do not show that you are taking or considering the advice given. If you take a look at the below responses and re-read some the responses you got in your other threads you will find very similar recommendation. Everyone is trying to help you, don't dismiss them so easily.

I'm not familiar with that particular disease so I'm not going to suggest a treatment. The betta fix was a good start. I rather like that stuff. Make sure you do more water changes. Like it was said before, this betta is rather old. It could just be it's time to go. I really hope he pulls through for you though.

I would say for the future you might think about saving up some money and getting the API test kit. Or ask your parents very nicely to get you one. It can really help you a lot and if nothing else give you peace of mind. .

aquariumlover10
05-31-2014, 01:30 AM
Ok it may not seem like i m not taking their responses seriously but I am I just don't know wha to say I guess but again still wondering how much epsom salt to use and do I do e salt baths of just put it in the qt tank??

Compass
05-31-2014, 01:42 AM
Ok it may not seem like i m not taking their responses seriously but I am I just don't know wha to say I guess but again still wondering how much epsom salt to use and do I do e salt baths of just put it in the qt tank??

I know you really care for your fish. It's an upsetting time. Before we go throwing stuff in the water what makes you think it is Dropsy?

Compass
05-31-2014, 01:46 AM
I did the math and you are looking at 1/8th teaspoon. According to one source. So get a 1/4teaspoon and just fill it half full. Doesn't seem like much but you don't have a big QT.

aquariumlover10
05-31-2014, 01:49 AM
I know you really care for your fish. It's an upsetting time. Before we go throwing stuff in the water what makes you think it is Dropsy?
He lost most of his color abdomen is swollen and scales are raised.

Compass
05-31-2014, 01:59 AM
He lost most of his color abdomen is swollen and scales are raised.

Sounds like a good enough diagnosis to me. Give him the little touch of salt then I guess.

aquariumlover10
05-31-2014, 02:06 AM
Ok put it in the tank or a saltbath thing. How do I put it in disolve it in a small cup and pour it in there or dissolve it in the tank, sorey last time I tried using epsom salt for a mollie with pop eye I just put it in the tank and it didn't dissolve and the fish died( don't ask what it looked like) so kinda worried.

Compass
05-31-2014, 02:13 AM
Ok put it in the tank or a saltbath thing. How do I put it in disolve it in a small cup and pour it in there or dissolve it in the tank, sorey last time I tried using epsom salt for a mollie with pop eye I just put it in the tank and it didn't dissolve and the fish died( don't ask what it looked like) so kinda worried.

It should just dissolve, but if you are worried it won't I guess a small cup of aquarium water would. Now I don't want you to think this is going to magically cure your betta. It very well might heal him, but sometimes salt isn't enough. Do your research and if you feel like you understand what you need, get the proper medication. I don't know how quickly this illness spreads so just keep and eye on him and change his water.

aquariumlover10
05-31-2014, 02:22 AM
Ok thanks.

darkmerlin21
05-31-2014, 02:25 AM
Try this site.. good info.

www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

If it is dropsy, it does not look promising. Sorry.

aquariumlover10
05-31-2014, 02:36 AM
Yeah saw that when researching. Ok I put 1/8 a teaspoon in a medicine cup of hot water and stired it when it dissolved I put it in a water bottle of conditioned water and then put it in the tank.

Compass
05-31-2014, 01:44 PM
How is your betta this morning?

aquariumlover10
05-31-2014, 02:17 PM
Same but he's swimming and eating, put some peas in the tank so he will poo.

aquariumlover10
06-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Ok he's not going to make it so I need a way to euthanize him I was thinking about doing clove oil to put him to slep and them putting him in a bag of icee, slushy water to kill.

Slaphppy7
06-04-2014, 03:30 PM
That should work...you can freeze him until your garbage pick-up day, then dispose of him

Sorry for your loss...i'll be glad when you get your test kit

aquariumlover10
06-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Ok thanks, my mom ain't to thrillered about my idea but shegot grossed out when I said the other options which are letting him slowly die, chopp his head off, or smash hs head.

Slaphppy7
06-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Your mom getting grossed out over those other options is highly understandable.

aquariumlover10
06-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Yeah now I get to get another betta, haha.

Slaphppy7
06-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Not before you get that test kit and some Prime!!

aquariumlover10
06-04-2014, 05:51 PM
I know just jokin im not getting anything until I find out if the kuhli eggs hatch and then I am going to get a baby betta.

Slaphppy7
06-04-2014, 06:00 PM
I know just jokin im not getting anything until I find out if the kuhli eggs hatch and then I am going to get a baby betta.

After you get your kit and Prime...right?

aquariumlover10
06-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I may also get a glass top but since I have a full lid idont know unless I cut a hole where I drop food in.

aquariumlover10
06-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Ok ii nneed to know how much clove oil I use to put my betta to sleep then I will freeze it so it dosnt feel anything.

aquariumlover10
06-05-2014, 05:50 PM
:Well my mom just said I can't put it in the freezer and I don't think she would let mme put in a lethal dose of clove oil so she said flush it or let it sit there and die.:mad:

Slaphppy7
06-05-2014, 06:01 PM
I wish the betta didn't have to suffer

aquariumlover10
06-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Yeah me to he looked gray and ain't breathing normal so I think he will die in the next 24-48 hours.

aquariumlover10
06-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Ok he didn't make it through the night so I think I am going to wrap him in a paper towel and throw him away I would beirry him but there are raccoons everywhere because people feed them so it would be worse if I did that.

Stlouisfish
06-06-2014, 01:46 PM
IDK - I would have buried the fish and let nature take its course - sorry your fish didn't make it - but hopefully you will have better luck with the next fish!

Slaphppy7
06-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Sorry about the loss, al10...how is the yard sale going?...have you earned enough to buy a test kit yet?

aquariumlover10
06-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks my mom said that we can't burry anything in the back yard because wild animals and our puppy will dig it up.