PDA

View Full Version : live plants and dirty water

Barbara Meyers
05-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Help!
I have a 6 gallon tank and run my filter every 4 weeks.

When I started, I first put down dirt in the form of black granules and on top of that put gravel. I then added plants and everything was fine for about 8 months. Then I noticed the plants were not doing well, I added fertilizing tablets which turned the surrounding gravel a sickening artificial green color. Then, more algae appeared, and dirt was apparent on top of the gravel and leaves of the plants.

How can I fix this without taking everything out and putting in new black granules and gravel?

Compass
05-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Hmmm well I'm seeing some stuff here that either needs clarification or correction. You say you run your filter every 4 weeks? Like a hang on the back filter? That should be running 24/7. That'll help keep the water clean and keep the plants healthy.

You say you are using dirt, is this just regular old dirt or is this something specifically marketed for aquariums?

Are there any fish in this tank?

mommy1
05-13-2014, 03:30 PM
I have a 6 gallon tank and run my filter every 4 weeks. What do you mean by this? You clean it every four weeks or you use it every four weeks?

How can I fix this without taking everything out and putting in new black granules and gravel?The algae can be stopped by less nutrients in the water and less light. Stop using the root tabs and turn the lights off more. The dirt unfortunately cannot be taken care of that easily. You could add more gravel over the top to cap it off again. Other than that, the only thing to do would be to tear it down and start over.

Barbara Meyers
05-13-2014, 03:36 PM
I have a Betta, so I can't run the filter all the time because it's too strong for him.

The dirt was in the form of little black granules that I bought at the pet store.

mommy1
05-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Then get a different filter or put a baffle on it to reduce the flow. The filter is the most important piece of equipment you have other than the tank to hold the water. It not only keeps the water clean, it keeps it safe and non-toxic for the fish and it needs to run all the time to properly do its job.

Barbara Meyers
05-13-2014, 03:50 PM
thanks for your help, will try.

Compass
05-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Alternatively you can look online for a small sponge filter. You'll need the filter and an air pump to power it. These filters are great for small tanks and tanks with fish sensitive to water movement.