PDA

View Full Version : Betta community Fail (first ever Fail!)

Soot
05-06-2014, 05:05 PM
So my betta, Bael is about my 6th betta in my life. I have always previously kept them in both large and small peaceful communities.

Lately, Bael has been baby sitting the 1 month old guppies. These are quite large, certainly not fry, and I thought they would benefit from growing out in Bael's tank (higher temp, less competition for food, extra WC as it's smaller/etc). All fine for two weeks and then carnage! Just caught Bael dragging the last one arund by the tail, bits of guppy everywhere. Even sadder, he's also demolished 3 pygmy corys that were waiting to move into the big tank after the next big WC. One looks like it might make it, one was already dead and the other so torn up I just euthanised it.

Wow.

What a d**k!!!

FrozenTundra
05-06-2014, 05:27 PM
yikes, that betta went psycho

LeaderOfMen
05-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks. I will skip moving my male betta into the large tank. The female betta is doing fine in my community tank.

Soot
05-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks. I will skip moving my male betta into the large tank. The female betta is doing fine in my community tank.

to be fair, all my previous bettas lived long, happy lives in community tanks ...
Perhaps Bael felt tormented by all the small fish and just couldn't help himself? He's well fed, I promise!
Will obviously now live alone EEK.

Slaphppy7
05-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Wow...a devil-betta

mommy1
05-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Betta are not community fish, sometimes it works, sometimes it works for a little while. I'm sorry you lost all those fish.

Compass
05-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Sorry for your loss Soot. Put that one in a padded tank.

Azurescriber
05-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Wow that stinks. Poor guppies! I wonder what set him off 0.o

RiversGirl
05-06-2014, 10:43 PM
So sorry to hear of this slaughter, Soot.

JudiJetson
05-06-2014, 10:50 PM
So sorry to hear of the carnage. I've never kept bettas with guppies only neons...maybe the guppies were just too tempting :(

Slaphppy7
05-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Betta are not community fish, sometimes it works, sometimes it works for a little while. I'm sorry you lost all those fish.

For the OP a betta in a community setting failed just 1 time out of 6, I think it should be noted

Re-read the thread when I got home and realized that

Triton
05-07-2014, 02:38 AM
I've seen mixed results with Bettas as well, it could be a number of things that "set it off"

All it takes is to be a little hungry and have a chance at one of the fry, I noticed with my german blue rams that they were fine with RCs until one day they had a chance to attack one, once they attacked one... They had the taste for it, or just enjoyed it and killed close to 50 before I got the rest out

Could have also just been an aggressive Betta that felt it's territory was being encroached on by the new comers.

If I end up with a Betta it most likely will be on it's own.. Or at least with something I know it wouldn't bother

Soot
05-08-2014, 01:57 PM
I did wonder if perhaps one of the guppies perhaps got sick and Bael "finished it off" .. and then realised they were tasty and good sport, or *something*. Either way, I posted this as am always first to comment to say how well my bettas have always done in community tanks! Now I know the warnings and experiences other people share are not idle!