PDA

View Full Version : boycott Betta abuse

eicg
04-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Dear everyone, i have decided to start boycott Betta abuse. I would like anyone who could or will boycott buying Betta from petco, petsmart, and any other store that mistreats these poor baby's. They are living things to and those small cups are terrible for them they should not be sold in those and should not be kept in small vases to live about a week before another one is meant to replace them. The should not be kept in places like that! please boycott for a week, a month, a year, forever. We have to be there voices so please don't let them suffer anymore. Also please don't buy the tiny Betta cage/habitats. how would you like to be kept in one of those. And stop Betta fighting they feel pain to. Most of these stores that treat them the worst have thousands/millions of dollars they could at lest afford to put them in 1 gallon of water. Thank You and please no hate this is my opinion and i want it to change im standing up for what i believe in.
please Google Betta abuse and go to images.

aquariumlover10
04-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Ok I get what your saying but they are.only supposed to be in those cups for a day before someone buys them.

Slaphppy7
04-24-2014, 05:37 PM
What's "supposed" to happen and what really does happen can be totally different things, I have learned.

aquariumlover10
04-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Well ya but the supplies thinks people buy them in a day or two and my petco actually changes the water now and then.

Slaphppy7
04-24-2014, 05:43 PM
What about the ones that don't sell in a day or two? I promise, they don't just throw them out, they'd lose money that way.

My guess is that they stay in those tiny cups until they sell or die. It's a guess, because I've never worked in a fish store before, but I was in retail for 26 years, and kind of know how it works.

aquariumlover10
04-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Ya but my petco hanges the water in every single one I have actually seen them do it while I was there.

Slaphppy7
04-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Well, that's good I suppose. But imagine it this way. What if you were put in a closet to live, and once a day someone opened the door to give you a breath of fresh air? No toilet in the closet, either. No room to explore or play. No friends.

To me, it's the same thing.

aquariumlover10
04-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Ya but at least they get clean water.

eicg
04-24-2014, 07:44 PM
yeah but clean water is not the same as a being able to live a life worth living. there's a picture i found with a Betta in a mug and the caption is i think i will jump out and end it all. its like us living in a closet as already pointed out sure they may clean the closet everyone's in a while but would you like living there. And some fish come and die in that store, living only about a month or 3 because that's about there age when they are put in the store.

lightfish
04-24-2014, 11:25 PM
I think they ARE being neglected and badly cared for in some cases, but I don't think they need a huge tank. I keep one in a 1 gallon and he's happy, healthy and friendly. He's probably about 3 years old because I got him from Wal Mart and I heard that bettas from there are at least a year or two old. I'd have him in our other tank, but he shredded our black tetras fins so I took him out (I did have him in there for at least a week).
Please nobody get mad at me, it's my opinion and I saved him from getting killed by wal mart or somebody else's neglect.

eicg
04-25-2014, 01:44 AM
No they don't need a huge tank and i realize some live in the cups temporarily but i still think its two small, they could at least kick it up to a half gallon. And i have the same problem with my male veil tail beta, he shredded my dalmatian molly but gets along fine with all the other fish.

pRED
04-25-2014, 01:54 AM
The points made here make me question whether any of us should keep fish, or other caged pets.

Greentoads41
04-25-2014, 04:03 AM
Each person kind of has their own ideas about what is "humane" and what is not, and we could get into that for days, especially with fish (ex: keeping a discus in less than optimal conditions) . However, I'm sure most of us believe keeping a betta in such a small container for honestly any amount of time when they range for miles in their natural habitat (granted, sometimes in about 5 inches of water) is inhumane.
I have to admit, I've bought bettas before because I've felt sorry for them, as I'm sure others have too. Which kind of goes against the boycotting thing....hmmm.

Faded
04-25-2014, 04:03 AM
Betta are different from most schooling and tropical fish. They don't need a lot of tank room to thrive, but they still need some space, clean water, and something to keep them occupied. Anything around 3 gallons or more is extremely decent compared to what people who "pick up a betta" house them in.

I keep my betta in a 3.65 gallon tank with a piece of driftwood with Christmas moss attached to it for my betta to lay on. It is always active and never sits in corners or shows signs of stress. Sadly, when I bought it it had a fin rot that had to be treated, but it's almost fully recovered. It's a very fun fish to keep, and they can even develop a personality.

Bettas also come from very dirty habitats in the wild. My point is, when you buy a betta and you are willing to put any effort into it, you are pretty much giving it a home better than probably 70% or more other betta owners are, because face it. Most people just like how these fish have attractive colors and fins, and the store says they will do fine in a quarter gallon bowl with a water change "once in a while", which commonly translates to "once in a month". And it gets better, bettas have an above average bioload, so water changes are quite the necessity for bettas.

I as well wish people would give bettas more proper care, but sadly it fell a victim to quick cash.

Soot
04-25-2014, 11:57 AM
the betta in all my local lfs (in the UK) are kept in proper tanks, not in bowls. They are either in with fish like the corys or otos or they are in a divided tanks, always attached to the store filtration system. Don't see why it's so difficult for all stores to do it like this?

sheamurai
04-25-2014, 12:15 PM
you are preaching to the choir here. It's the non-hobbyists and beginners (who will find out in due course if they become hobbyists) who you need to inform.

eicg
04-25-2014, 09:15 PM
The local store in my area keeps them in with other fish or divided fish tank too. they aren't even a huge business. But the petco a few blacks away that has a lot of money and tanks just puts them in cups. i don't get that.

tlriot
05-03-2014, 12:59 AM
As a previous Petco employee, I can speak for my experience only. We did everything possible to keep our betta fish happy and healthy. We tried to change the water daily, but we were the largest store in the area and you can imagine cleaning that many cups is extremely time consuming, on top of the customers who need help in the aquatics department. We kept as many betta as we could in community tanks, and for the most part I was able to talk people into buying at least a 1g filtered tank. After you mention you have to change the water daily, that filter looks really nice.

eicg
05-13-2014, 01:28 AM
I got a male half moon double-tail Betta from petsmart. This was 3 months ago. He cost $17 and he was very fat and swimming sideways at the surface of his cup. I figured i could try to save him or at least let him die happy. I still have my little guy but he had swim bladder (a sever case). I put him in my 5 gallon breeding tank with a filter, heater and everything. I feed him live food which he struggled with then i had to go away for 2 days. I told them to only touch the fish downstairs but instead they thought there wasn't a fish in that tank, i had a tag on the tank that said what type of Betta he was and they put my female twin-tail Betta in with him. When i got back he had no fins and was floating at the surface like he usually does. His fins have healed a tiny bit and he now lives in my community fish tank ( he also lived with another male Betta for a tiny bit in the community tank because my other fish knocked the large floating Tupperware i had him in while he was healing. they lived together without fighting but i dint want him getting beat up again so i removed the other male. sadly he will never be able to swim right again and spends most of him time floating n his side breathing.

aquariumlover10
05-13-2014, 01:59 AM
Try feeding hims some peas.

eicg
05-17-2014, 03:39 PM
I do every 2 days it doesn't seem to help.

Fishhook
06-12-2014, 08:35 PM
forum rules:

Do not use AC for the purpose of boycotting products, websites, stores or causes.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=20511

eicg
06-18-2014, 03:12 AM
I'm not using it for the purpose of boycotting products, websites or stores. It was just a tittle I came up with. Im just saying be nicer to the little fishy not dont go to this store or buy this thing. I'm just saying that some stores have better care for bettas than others and some have better products than others. If i said don't buy from petco than that would be a different story but some petcos are good and some are not same with any store.

Maxerith
06-18-2014, 04:04 AM
I would like anyone who could or will boycott buying Betta from petco, petsmart, and any other store that mistreats these poor baby's.

Regardless, boycotting isn't an answer, education is.

Fishan
06-21-2014, 06:38 AM
This isn't going to be a popular post, but here it goes. We're talking about fish. The majority of which give birth in some form or another to large broods because they're near the bottom of the food chain. Unless they are a particularly large fish do you give a burial ceremony when they die or just feel bad when they take a final swim in the porcelain bowel?

People complain less about the over stocked tanks all the other fish are in, and others over stock their own tanks. What about the fish that are caught in the wild and forced to live in tanks? Shouldn't we boycott the hobby all together as every pet fish is nothing but a prisoner? All things can be taken to an extreme. How do we know a single beta in a 10 gallon tank isn't being abused through improper feeding, or forced to fight others that have already been flushed?

Boycott all you want as is your right. At least you're not telling me I can't smoke a cigarette in public.

Cliff
06-21-2014, 12:57 PM
This thread is now starting to lead to drama and is now closed