PDA

View Full Version : Homemade internal filter ?

uihawk9868
04-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Hello everyone. Just bought a male betta tonight because, well, I like bettas. I have a well established (cycled) 20 gallon FW tank. I have the betta right now temporarily housed in a one gallon disinfected sun tea jar. My question is, since I am now seeding a new filter sponge with old beneficial bacteria from my established aquarium, could I just do some thing like weigh the new sponge down with with a rock, once it's seeded (and how long should that take ?), and slit a hole in the sponge and run an airstone through it powered by an external airpump ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Zerileous
04-01-2014, 11:21 AM
That is very similar to the design of a classic sponge filter. However you would need some sort of uplift tube. By passing the bubbles from the air pump through a vertical tube, a current is created which is sufficient to draw water through a filter sponge. I'm not really sure what would make a suitable tube, but generally you can just secure the airline to the bottom of the tube, and ensure that water only can enter the tube by passing through the sponge.