PDA

View Full Version : 46 Gallon Bowfront

Ashurbarnipal
03-28-2014, 12:55 AM
It's been a while since I posted since I had to get out of Saltwater for a while, but I've recently started to re-enter the world of salt. I'd been focusing on a few nanos, but was shopping at my favorite LFS, and they had a refurbished 36 gallon with a stand, lid, and fluval cannister filter marked down to 100, which I could not resist, so I purchase it and take it home to measure to discover it was actually a 46 gallon!

My eventual plans are to give it a reef octopus HOB skimmer I got on the back, a AI Sol Hydra LED light on it and maybe work out an algae scrubber, I'm still making my mind up on what corals I want, but I know I'll have several clams. I don't have it set up in photographable form yet, so instead, here's a pic of my nano 3 gallon

These are also LEDs so sadly it doesn't give you a great idea of the color, but oh well.

Ashurbarnipal
03-30-2014, 12:50 AM
I was considering using this to mount the light: http://www.amazon.com/AI-Upright-Includes-Horizontal-Separately/dp/B0093Y58JM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396140579&sr=8-2&keywords=ai+sol+ext+mount

Will this work with a ai sol hydra and will it work on the back of a standard 46 bowfront?

Cliff
03-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Glad to see you back here

I've never used any like that on my AI fixtures

As your tank is 36 inches long, you might need two hydras to get even and good enough light throughout the tank to support your clams. The standard AI mounting rails designed to sit on the top of the tank might be better in that situation

Ashurbarnipal
03-30-2014, 02:27 AM
What if I went with a hydra 52? Those should have a 36 inch spread according to the website,

Cliff
03-30-2014, 02:41 AM
The light may reach a width of 36 inches (mostly due to the 80 degree angled lenses), but the par valve will drop a lot the closer you get to the 36 inch width. This will result in a drop in par values from ~300 directly under the unit to 50 or less near the outer edge of the 36 inch range (as stated on the AI website). This will give you a uneven light and likely some shadows as well. If you want several clam, you will need to place at least some of them near the edges of the tank were they will not get enough light from a single fixture centered on the tank

Ashurbarnipal
03-30-2014, 03:19 AM
I may be able to invest in one eventually, but it'll take a while. Think it could be supplement with T-5's in the meantime?

Ashurbarnipal
04-01-2014, 11:29 PM
33212 The tank is set up and filled with all the two year old live rock from my 29. Right now I've got a heater and one Hydor in it, but I'm gonna look into getting a fairly powerful powerhead as well. Anyone have any thoughts on if wave makers would add anything?

Cliff
04-02-2014, 09:12 PM
It all depends in the type of setup you are going for. I personally really like wavemakers as it helps to prevent crud from settling in the corners and typical low flow areas which helps to keep your water parameters in line. The below link can help explain things a little better.

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/the-importance-of-water-flow-and-movement-2/

A tunze nano wave waker would work pretty good in a tank that size

Are you planning to add more rock ?

Ashurbarnipal
04-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Oh yeah, I'm gonna add some dry rock to seed here in a bit. I also have a bit more live. And would a tunze work with Hydors?

Also, I set up my reef octopus HOB. It is the best dang HOB skimmer I've ever used. Already collecting waste and no bubbles are getting back into the tank.

Cliff
04-03-2014, 03:03 AM
. And would a tunze work with Hydors?.

I'm not too sure on what you are asking here. You can mix any different types of powerheads in your tank. The only thing that will not work is if you want to use a controller. For example, the controller for the tunze wave box can also control another tunze controllable powerhead, but that controller will not work for any other branch of powerhead

Does that answer your question ?

Ashurbarnipal
04-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Sorry, I thought it was a controlling device, not a wavemaker itself for some dumb reason. And yeah, that does answer it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4588+24987&pcatid=24987 I like the look of this one.

Cliff
04-03-2014, 11:53 PM
Yes, I like the tunze powerheads as well due to the angels you can point the powerheads and the strong magnets that do not need any suction cups

But I thought you were looking into a wavemaker ?

Ashurbarnipal
04-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I do, but it'll be a while before I can afford any of those Tunze wavemakers.

Cliff
04-04-2014, 12:17 AM
That's a tunze powerhead you posted the link to, not a wave maker. The below link is to a tunze wave maker

http://www.liverocknreef.com/liverock/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9800

Ashurbarnipal
04-10-2014, 08:36 PM
So, the tank has been cycled so far as I can tell. No nitrite or ammonia for a few days. I also got my Hydra and rail mounting and I can already see you were right Cliff. I'll look into another ai lighting. Thinking of adding a cherub angel in a couple days if the stats hold.

Ashurbarnipal
04-13-2014, 05:14 AM
Update. Tank held steady so I added the pygmy angel and a torch coral.

In other news, a friend got me a Hydra 52 for my birthday next week, so that should help. They current hydra works phenomenally, so I can only imagine how well the hydra 52 will be.

Ashurbarnipal
04-19-2014, 09:15 PM

Finally got a decent picture of the guy. He's looking magnificent, though a lot of this is the Hydra. I am so happy with these lights

hockeyhead019
04-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Great looking little fish!! Keep an eye to make sure he doesn't go nipping at corals though, all of my dwarf angels eventually developed a taste for zoas. Just a consideration to keep in mind for the future

Ashurbarnipal
04-22-2014, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I've got another tank ready for him if he acts up.

Also. I think I'm going to invest in a WP-25 next month. I've got some friends at my LFS who recommended it to me and researching it I like everything I've seen.