PDA

View Full Version : tips for feeding bristlenose.

blu
11-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Well I have started to try to feed my pleco algae wafers(until now he has been doing well on the algae in the tank but its getting low)but I also have platies and glowlights that steal it from him. I read on here to feed after the lights are out so I did. When I (indirectly) shined a flashlight on my tank to see if he was eating who do I find....platies. During the day I just keep pushing the wafer back to him but since he loses it or it gets stolen from his cave every 30 seconds its kindof a pain. Is there any better way to feed to make sure he is getting what he needs.

Oh I have also fed him romain lettuce(he hasnt gone long without me feeding him somthing) that I think he ate but I want to give him more variety than the algae in my tank and lettuce.

Lady Hobbs
11-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Add more wafers? I just drop about 2 in my tank before lights go out. He will scare the others away from his food soon enough.

blu
11-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Would two be too many? My pleco is only 3 1/2in and after my platies get done eating they are really fat and this is just with a half of waffer (been using half just to see if he even liked them)

I just cant see him scaring the other fish lol..its kinda sad he will be eating an the platies slowly pull it away from him adn when he tries to get to it the pull it just in front of his nose out of his reach..mabey he will grow more bold.

msjinkzd
11-03-2007, 10:36 PM
you could try blanching either cucumber or zucchini pieces in water with a garlic clove. Garlic is known to be a good appetite stimulant. You could also try just directly rubbing the veggies with garlic as well. Hope that helps.

mitcore
11-04-2007, 01:48 AM
my bristle noses enjoy these
shrimp pellets
frozen blood worms
pleco disks
and of course the algae on the glass

squirt_12
11-04-2007, 01:51 AM
what you could do is:
when you go to feed the pleco...feed the other fish in 1 corner of the tank and then drop the algae wafer on the other side of the tank where the pleco is...that might work.

blu
11-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Well a little while ago i distracted the platies with half an algae waffer and gave my pleco one and that worked a little better although the platies did steal it a few times. But he has eaten well(he has a nice round stomach) so thanks for everyones help!