PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a pleco please

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2007, 02:00 AM
I need a pleco. Actually more than one but I have two featherfins in two separate tanks due to aggression with one another. Can a pleco be with a featherfin? I would like a variety that remains under 8 inches. Bristlenose possibly in smaller planted tanks but need something that can put up with the featherfin in the 55 gallon planted.

Is there any such thing?

cocoa_pleco
11-01-2007, 03:23 AM
ive always liked clown plecos. when i bred plecos i had lots of adults who wouldnt breed, and in a 33g i had 2 small common plecos and a clown pleco. i fed them 15 algae wafers a day, and the commons grew enormous, while the clown pleco hardly grew.

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2007, 03:42 AM
At least you didn't recommend a cocoa_pleco.

I do believe the clowns grow to about 6 inches. Not sure so will go look it up.

cocoa_pleco
11-01-2007, 04:01 AM
i used to have a cocoa (chocolate) albino pleco, he was cool too. dont know how big he would have gotten though

digital3
11-01-2007, 06:18 AM
in my 55, I have a Sailfin Pleco with my Featherfin. They get along for the most part, but sometimes they get into little spats. I'm sure the space in the 55 helps minimize that. They're able to have their own space.

However, one night the Featherfin (I call him Pancho) attacked one of my fish pretty harsh. I'm pretty sure it was the pleco because he attacked in a downward motion towards a fish sitting on the substrate (only the Pleco does that). I couldn't see very well because I was looking at the tank in pitch darkness. (trying to capture Pancho in some candid pictures :ezpi_wink1: )

Anyway, I turned on the light and checked all my fish and they all seemed OK. As you've probably noticed, the Pleco has a bony top (almost like armor), so I'm sure it can deal with any attacks like that. I'm thinking any other fish would have definitely been down for the count. It was a pretty harsh attack.

Who knows what happens when the lights go out, but every morning, the Pleco and my other fish seem fine. One of these nights I want to set my video camera to record my tank at night. The camera has night vision. That way I can see what's really goin' on.

:c5:

crackatinny
11-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Well you blew my idea out of the water straight away LOL, I was gonna say a bristlenose or maybe a pair.

TowBoater
11-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I had a clown pleco at one time, cool little fish but hid a lot. The featherfins munch on algae to hobbs.

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes but not on the glass. I do like him a ton and will always keep him. But I sure would like to have a Queen Arabesque too. LOL I could put him back with the firemouth but that darned cichlid just won't leave him alone.

Fishalicious
11-01-2007, 02:31 PM
All the Peckoltia plecs stay at a comfortable size allowing you to keep more...

It depends on if you want them for algae eating or just cause you love those little suckers :ezpi_wink1:

Have a nosey around at http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=18 this is a list of all the peckoltia's

Azear
11-01-2007, 03:33 PM
have you checked PlecoPedia (http://www.plecofanatics.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page) ??? It's a wiki-based Pleco list... anybody who have knowledge on them should share it there too... :) always fun to have a wiki full of useful information (at this moment, there's not much I know... but... if people try to make it more complete, there'll be alot of info... )

**Anybody knows a Wiki-based but for fish (not only pleco) ? ...