PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't my crypts melting?

Flyby Stardancer
06-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they're doing fine... but I'm also confused as heck. lol

My pH and hardness are way far off from what their 'preferred' range is. I have no clue what their previous parameters were because I bought them from Petsmart in a baggie with very little water or air. I tried to be gentle separating them out, but it was like trying to loosen roots on an extremely root-bound garden plant. You just can't do it without some damage (and I was separating them down further than the three main clumps they were in the bag). They're in a new tank that is just starting to cycle.

And yet... a couple leaves had some melty edges at one point, but that's been the total extent of the melt I've seen! Aren't these supposed to be rather delicate easy-to-melt plants??:sconfused:

genocidex
06-28-2013, 08:14 PM
all the crypts are delicate to rapid changes, and replanting. that being said, they wont melt all the time, and some times they will melt by just changing the lighting by 30 mins. my crypt spiralis melt a but if i change the lighting more than 20 mins, or if the flow rate changes

talldutchie
06-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Crypts can take a lot of water conditions as long as they are stable.

Flyby Stardancer
06-28-2013, 08:46 PM
It makes me wonder if this strain had been developed to be a bit hardier for beginners... Though that would have been an expensive project, unlikely for a cheap store. lol

genocidex
06-28-2013, 08:54 PM
the problem with crypts is just change. seriously, they are great beginner plants, they do well in almost all reasonable lighting, with most reasonable availability of co2 ect.... and they look good too XD

talldutchie
06-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Yep. You know you're getting the hang of it if they stop melting

Flyby Stardancer
06-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Oh, they are beautiful, which is why they take up the most space of all the not-fast-growing plants in my tank. lol I'm just not sure I would call their transition into the tank 'gentle', or the tank's parameters 'stable'.

Limming
06-30-2013, 05:59 PM
I've always been told to look at the plants and fish first, if plants look good and the fish are healthy then the tank is stable and running well.

Flyby Stardancer
06-30-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm cycling the tank, and there's no fish in it. Tank cycling is almost the definition of a tank that isn't stable! lol And yet... I only saw one tiny part of one edge of one leaf that looked translucent and melted last night, at least on the crypts. The mystery stems, on the other hand, had a lot more melting when I got them. Just waiting for those to perk up and start growing.

Lady Hobbs
06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
I have moved crypts dozens of times without a problem and cut all but an inch off the roots for transplanting. Now and then one or two will get crypt melt but I don't think they are as delicate as often claimed to be. Many plants will go into shock when transplanted. Just cut off any mushy leaves and leave the rest alone and they will take off again.

Mine did well in both low and high light tanks but I did notice a difference. In the high light tank, they got a darker green and stayed shorter and more compact.....like up to 6". In the low light tank, they were a lighter green and grew even taller. My thinking is they were reaching for the light more.

madagascariensis
06-30-2013, 08:25 PM
+1 to Lady Hobbs.

I have never had a crypt melt on me, and with them being one of my favorite aquarium plants, I have acquired and transplanted many of them.
I don't think they are quite as fragile as they are often depicted as. maybe crypts used to be really finicky, but have gotten hardier as a response to the new aquarium environment?

Flyby Stardancer
06-30-2013, 08:34 PM
It makes sense that decades of just keeping the ones that did best in the aquarium would lead to hardier specimens in the trade. They are such gorgeous plants.