PDA

View Full Version : Fish Identification

bubcas
07-12-2006, 05:18 AM
I came across a huge beautiful aqaurium inside the Japanese restaurant with lotsa beautiful fishes. One of the fishes that caught my eye is very unique and I am trying to research where can I get them. I am not sure what type or name is this fish.

The description: Looks almost like a balloon fish, 2 small tentacles like a snail above the eyes, it has small rounded fins that paddles like a boat propeller. The bottom of the fish body is flat almost like a snail. The color comes in yellow or orange. This fish can swim very fast from bottom to top. Once in a while, it will go almost to the surface of the water and you can see the tentacle above the water like getting air. Overall, the body of this fish is rounded to oval shape. The size 2-3 inches only.

Can anyone help?

William
07-13-2006, 12:50 AM
fresh or saltwater?

bubcas
07-13-2006, 03:37 AM
fresh or saltwater?

Good question! But I don't know. It was a huge aquarium with other fishes like angel fish.

William
07-13-2006, 08:29 PM
ok. i'll than assume that yuo are talking about frehwater. The fish that most people call angelfish is freshwater. (one group of saltwater fish are also called angelfish)

I can't say for sure what fish you are describing put I would look at pictures of puffer and box fish species if I where you to find it. There are a saltwater boxfish that looks as you describe but that don't sound right if there where angelfish in the tank.

bubcas
07-17-2006, 05:37 AM
I will try to snap a picture of this fish on my next trip to this restaurant and I shall post it here. It is kinda hard to describe.

William
07-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Do that. A picture would helpa lot ;-)

bubcas
07-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Finally, I found out what type of fish after searching at the fish encyclopedia. It's Longhorned Cowfish! I read that it is difficult to maintain. :(

William
07-24-2006, 04:04 AM
I was right than when I thought it was a saltwater box fish of some kind ;-)

Yes cowfish are a bit sensetive and saltwater is over all more work than freshwater.