PDA

View Full Version : 25 Gallon Cube Build

Hpimichael02
03-11-2013, 09:00 AM
good morning to all,

i finally got some time to start this thread. My wife wanted a tank in the bedroom, so with my tax return i went and bought a 25G reef Ready Cube made by marineland.

Specs:
tank: 25 Gallons
Sump:10 Gallon(6-7 useable gallon space hoping anyway)
Stand: DIY
Lighting: AI SOL Super Blue
controller: AI, hydor wave maker
Flow: 1 425 koralia nano, 1 750 koralia- 600 GPH return pump
Rock: 20-30 LBS live in tank- 10-15 in sump or DSB(not sure which)
ATO: DIY auto top off
Doseing equipment: 2 tom-aquatics aqua lifter's- on a 7 day timer, Cal in the Morning-Alk at night
Skimmer: Yes

Tank:

Stand Build:(few pics)
Materials:
Particle Board(i know the concerns)
Glue
Screws(30)
Door trim

all will be primed 2 coats(edges 4 coats), exterior grade paint, polyurethane coating for extra water protection (3 coats)
the design is a knock off of the marineland stand- they also use the same material but the outside is laminated/vainer

for giggles- 1977 Jig Saw by Craftsman(anyone else remember these- 10 yrs before my time)
My dad did want me to break it so he cut the door out(and 1977 jig saw still works lol)
Basic stand is built, just gotta add the fancy stuff

I will add the final pic when finished- the LED's arrive Thursday as well as my pump and filter socks, im hoping to have this up by my wife birth day on the 17th st. Patrick's day.

Cliff
03-11-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this set-up come together

Any thoughs on stocking yet ? Judging by the equipment, it looks like your setting up a reef tank

Hpimichael02
03-12-2013, 06:39 AM
yea there was debate about a FOWLR, but that would only so much and so little fits in the tank. so we decided to go mini reef, with mainly Montipora's and other LPS, and a few small colonies of zoas and palys. i cant wait for everything to get here.

as for fish and CUC, not sure yet maybe a clown and some blenny's or firefish.

Hpimichael02
03-18-2013, 01:06 PM
so i cant find anything about the overflow drain size- i got 1 1/4 but it screws on \only s few threads =- i should go bigger right ?> to 1 1/2"

Hpimichael02
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
or it looks like i can add the pipe inside of the overflow outlets- top is 1" bottom is 3/4 could this work also if i glued the, in with PVC cement?

i have never plumbed anything from a sink to a reef lol, so this is all new to me. any help would be great

Cliff
03-18-2013, 11:05 PM
The below info can help with your plumbing

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aquarium-plumbing-basics/

Hpimichael02
03-19-2013, 02:08 PM
thanks cliff, that help out allot, ive test plumbed the tank and man it stinks when the drilled holes are right on top of each other.

here are the pics- the only thing not included so far is my Unions for both out and return- not adding a ball valve because the over flow can handle 600GPH my pump is a taam rio 2100 which is 696 GPH but the GOH at the top of the head is about 375 GPH minus 100 GPH for the 45 degree elbows.

the tank and stand

Hpimichael02
03-21-2013, 07:52 PM
first mile stone has been reached-

tank is full of water and the plumbing does not leak --- yessss im proud my first time :)

got the light installed and realized that pvc wont do the job need the metal conduit - getting that tommorrw and then placing my rock and such -- so exciting

my downfall is that according to thebox the taam rio 2100 will produce 375GPH up 4 ft not to mention the 45 elbows- it pumps out something close to 580gph

Cliff
03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
got the light installed and realized that pvc wont do the job need the metal conduit - getting that tommorrw and then placing my rock and such -- so exciting

Are you planning to use metal conduit on your plumbing

Hpimichael02
03-21-2013, 08:04 PM
no just for the light fixture- to hang the Ai SOL

Cliff
03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Ah, good to hear

Your going to love the AI SOL.

Congrats on the leek free plumbing set-up

Hpimichael02
03-21-2013, 08:11 PM
i was shocked- and man is that primer and cement for pvc a messy mess- and it staines everything lol.

but i was toying with the AI SOL and man i love it i might even fork the $200 for the upgrade to the vega eventaully-

tomorrow ill have the lght set up and everthing in the tank

Hpimichael02
03-23-2013, 06:56 AM
so now i have the tank up and running, it sounds like a darn toilet. i have researched this and this is cause because marineland made a crap overflow- how the 90 elbow inside the overflow has a small plastic air breather- after research this should be on the outside- aka durso- how ever i solvent welded a 90 elbow so i can not add a T coming from the back of teh tank- what to do? should just drill a 3/8" hole and stick my breather in that ?

Cliff
03-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Could you post a pic ?

I'm not to sure I understand how your current drain is set-up. Once we are able to get air/water mixture correct, it will be very silient

Hpimichael02
03-23-2013, 09:04 AM

here is the pic- the breather is inside the tank in the overflow not outside like a durso

and it sound like a toilet like crazy- so loud i had to turn my return off for the night. could i make that hole bigger or place it on the outside elbow?

Cliff
03-23-2013, 09:08 AM
No need to change the fitting. It is likely just getting too much air. You can try putting a air line valve on it and every slowy restrict the air, maybe a 1/4 turn, wait 5 minutes to hear the results, and repeat until all the noise is gone

If that doesn't work let me know and there is a few more things we could try

Hpimichael02
03-24-2013, 07:52 AM
ill get some pics up in the morning-

how ever i tried what you said cliff and added the air valve from an old protein skimmer and just a little restriction made it surge in the overflow(water level goes up and down) do i took it off and just extended the hose- how ever it change the sound to a low pitch thump sound every couple seconds, but also cause the overflow water lvel to go up and down

Cliff
03-24-2013, 09:53 AM
What size is the drain line and what is the actual amount of flow you are trying to put through it?

Hpimichael02
03-24-2013, 03:02 PM
the drain line is a 1" pvc solid pipe-90 degree elbow goes straight into the sump- the pump is a taam rio+ 2100 rated at 696 but taken in head and all it hsould be pushing around 400GPH- but seems more than my power heads so maybe 4-500

could i add an air pump into hat line and tune down the air pump?

Hpimichael02
03-24-2013, 03:30 PM
here are some pics of the tank

btw how long do youy acclimate your coral to the LED most of the corals came from my 55G where they were close to my 150w mh and new corals come from a shop with leds

Cliff
03-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I acclimate my corals to new light over two days. That has worked well for me so far.

Forcing air into a gravity drain line will make things worse. You need the correct amount of airflow for your drain line. A one inch line should be able to handle 600 GPH. Based on the pics, I would guess you are getting very close to 600 gph if your pump has a rating of just under 700 gph.

When you tested the air mixture before, did you start with valve off and then increase by 1/4 turns waiting at least a few minuted in between attempts ?

The reason why I ask is that I don't even have that large of a air hole on my 1.5 inch duriso stand pipe with well over 1000 gph flowing through it.

My only other guess would be there is something different about your plumbing set-up as compaired to a typical duriso standpipe requiring more air. In that case you can try a second air / vent line with a valve on it as well. Start with the first air valve wide open and the second closed, opening the second one by a 1/4 turns (followed by a waiting period to see/hear the effects) until you get the correct air flow.

Hpimichael02
03-24-2013, 08:52 PM
cliff what is your percentage's and how many timers are you running? also how do you set up the location or the lunar range for a location?

i nailed the sound problem- i lowered the air hose about .5" and started with a closed valve and opened it slightly over the course of an hour and nailed it- awesome thanks a million- now i gotta quiet my return into my sump- im getting a filter sock tomorrow hopefully that will reduce bubbles.

so far the tank is all great- added some CUC to the tank they are doing great- took about 15 pieces from my 55 Gallon tank and placed it in here pretty awsome looking-

i love these AI SOL leds- a must have for any reefer- i have them set to 30% white and 40/40 Royal(just like my halides) and regular blue- i think i want to ramp the blues to 75% from 8am to noon and cut off at noon, have the whites ramp from 10am to 4pm at 60-70%(for coral growth) and blues on at 50% at 3pm and ramp down to lunar cycle.

Cliff
03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm glad to hear you got the drain noise gone. Nothing bugs me more than getting alot of noise from a drain line, but I be a littel OCD about noise coming from my tanks

Currently my SOLs are set to: RB: 60%, Blue: 75% and white: 50%. I have a one hour ramp up and ramp down period from this followed by: RB:05%, Blue 05% and White 0% to give me a moon light effect (white I really love). You'll have to keep in mind that I have 24 inch tall tanks with carpet anemones in the substrate in one of them (high light demanding) and my SOLs are about 10 inches above the top of my tank. You may need less or more than I have based on those two factors in your set-up. I do not use the Lunar feature at all so I can't offer much help there.

Your tank is looking really good BTW

Hpimichael02
03-25-2013, 04:28 PM
just a quick update- got my filter socks today and man what a change in sump noise.

been about a week since that tank has been set up and running- all parameters are in good range- nitrates are at 15 ppm that's because i took rock from my 55 gallon tank- so i may add a denitrate reactor- im adding two dosing pumps next week for cal and alk and i have a heavy coral load already.

mag 1350
alk 10dkh
cal 420ppm

i ordered a small pump and plan on making a mini scrubber (kinda like cliffs but smaller) for this tank- cant have to many safe guards.

Hpimichael02
04-02-2013, 12:42 PM
so almost 3 weeks since water hit the tank so far so good. i figured since that all my levels were low that ill do a ULNS in this tank. so i got the following

Brightwell Products:
Replenish
koralcolor
restore
microbacter7
coral amino
vitamin c

other products
VODKA

so started this about 4 days ago, im now dosing .2ML of vodka until the 7th day till i start dosing .5ML. im currently only dosing 5ml of microbactr7 for the next two weeks and then ill start the rest of the system. im also dosing 2.5ML of restore tro help my corals that got hurt during light acclimation.

since my nitrates and P04 are pretty close to 0 so im pretty sure .5ml dose daily will lead to .5ml dose of vodka 3 times a week. then ill start doseing the rest, most of my SPS were in my 55 Gallon which had nitrates at or above 20PPM and .5P04 so most were brown, after 4 days the colors are already improving.

Cliff
04-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Just a word of warning when carbon dosing. Keep a close eye on your dKH level. Carbon dosing most often will effect your dKH levels which can cause small/minor swings in other parameters. You likely have already found that info, but I though I would mention it just incase

I would love to see some pics soon

Hpimichael02
04-04-2013, 07:06 AM
this is the tank as of now, so far so good, got some brown algea but thats to be expected from a new tank, hwo ever since doseing vodka i have not had to clean the glass, so its all being experoted by my eshoppes 100 skimmer(rated for 100+ gallons fo water on a 26 gallons of water )

Hpimichael02
04-04-2013, 04:58 PM
as you can see the picture above it had a tad bit of a haze- im assuming a bacteria cloud. how ever i dosed again yesterday in doubt but i did, i increased my skimmer to a tad bit wet. and wow i came home today the water is crystal clear! the downfall i had my AI SOL Blue set to 75%white 100% RB and B and all my polyps were not extended , after a quick search i realized that after a bacteria bloom dies and gets skimmed out the water usually has a lot less stuff in the water column i.e nitrates and phosphates that can help protect the color from the light by refraction, this is gone so i turned my W down to 45% and 30 minutes later all polyps.

today was also the day to increase the vodka so i doubled dosage to .2 ml, in a couple days i will start dosing at .6 ml

what a great learning experience.

Hpimichael02
08-06-2013, 08:16 PM
AI SOL SUPER BLUE up for sale with controller in classifieds.