PDA

View Full Version : How often should I dose API Quick Start?

serbusfish
02-09-2013, 11:52 PM
I recently set up a hospital tank for my betta, I put some filter media from my established tank in the filter to help with the cycle, it half work in that fact I have no ammonia, but I have been getting a nitrite reading. So I bought some API quick start and it has been a full 24 hours since using it and nitrite hasnt shown up yet, but im wondering how often should I dose the quick start as it doesnt say on the bottle, only when nitrite rises?

fishmommie
02-09-2013, 11:55 PM
I'd check perims every morning. if you've got nitrites that approach .50, do a water change to get them down and ride it out. As long as you can keep the nitrites low, he should be okay.

Zander
02-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Add it during every water change until you are fully cycled. If your ammonia/nitrite levels are spiking quickly then change the water more often and hence you will be adding the Quick Start more often. Fishmommie gave you good advice; if the ammonia or nitrite are above 0.5 then do a water change.

serbusfish
02-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Ok cheers guys, I was getting rapid spikes before using the quick start, I would do a water change then a few hours later nitrite would be back, so the fact its been more than 24h shows the stuff is quite potent. I'll check my water in the morning and go from there :)