PDA

View Full Version : New Reputation System

William
01-30-2013, 03:46 AM
A number of people have asked about the reputation system after the upate and some have reported that they lost reputation. First let me assure every one that you still have all your reputation.

The new system do however display reputation in another way. The old system only featured one type of stars. This new system features 3 different stars if different value Bronze, Silver / Gold awards. The new system can show a lot higher reputation values without using a lot os space. Something that can be good as we have a number of members with loooota of rep points..

These are the current values:
green dot 100
dark green 200
gold 300
bronze star 3000
silver 15 000
gold 75 000

mommy1
01-30-2013, 03:49 AM
I'm not liking the new system much to be honest. It "looks" like I have a lot less rep than i do, I know I haven't lost any rep, but it looks that way. I guess I will get used to it.

genocidex
01-30-2013, 04:03 AM
so if i understand this right mommy has 76800 rep points?

mommy1
01-30-2013, 04:04 AM
Not quite that much, but a very close guess genocidex.

Goes to 11!
01-30-2013, 04:10 AM
I agree the new rep schematic is lacking clarity and makes it really hard to distinguish who has what amount without a guide.
I understand that it likely came this way and has just not made it to the top of the priority list yet.

I just don't think it's intuitively obvious how it works & there's no point to it at all if it's a system that will constantly need to be interpreted for people. Add to that the fact that literally 99% of the time people see rep they are not going to be viewing this guide to it and . . :scratchheadyellow:

:22:

William
01-30-2013, 04:12 AM
The graphical display round it of a little bit but is by far close enough. If you looked at mine you would be less than 1% off.

That it feels/look less is just a matter of the way you are used to read the stars. I am sure that everyone will get used to this new system soon enough but I know it can be a pain in the meantime. I am sorry about that and the change but the old system would not work with the updated software.

William
01-30-2013, 04:19 AM
I just don't think it's intuitively obvious how it works & there's no point to it at all if it's a system that will constantly need to be interpreted for people. Add to that the fact that literally 99% of the time people see rep they are not going to be viewing this guide to it and .

This is exactly the objections I got when the system with gold stars was introduced.

I think you are right that 99% of all users will not read this guide and will not understand the meaning of it. But 99% of people never use or care about rep. It is really only for regulars. None the less I will look into how it can be made clearer.

mommy1
01-30-2013, 04:23 AM
Is it possible to change the graphics and make the silver and bronze stars into bars or something besides stars... I am jealous that 850r has 6 stars and I only have 1.:14:

William
01-30-2013, 04:27 AM
Changing the bronze and silver stars into lets says boxes to seperate them from small bars would not be a problem if that would be better.

steeler58
01-30-2013, 04:28 AM
Thanks again for all your hard work. The new design looks great it reminds me of another forum on a different subject I belong to.

Goes to 11!
01-30-2013, 04:31 AM
Is it possible to change the graphics and make the silver and bronze stars into bars or something besides stars... I am jealous that 850r has 6 stars and I only have 1.:14:

As you should be 27479. :tease:

Yeah, I get that change is hard for some people but how someone found '4 stars is more than 2 stars' complicated is beyond me and this system doesn't even reach that standard so far.

EDIT:
Changing the bronze and silver stars into lets says boxes to seperate them from small bars would not be a problem if that would be better.
Could work yeah. Different shapes are a more obvious distinction imo.

mommy1
01-30-2013, 04:33 AM
I think it might be less confusing. Or can you change the value of the icons? Bring the gold star down to 15k rep points, the silver to 5k and the bronze to 10k, or something of that nature. It's not so much the colors as it is the number of stars that is confusing to me, and if you change the value it would change the numbers of stars each of us have.

William
01-30-2013, 04:47 AM
The value of the stars are decided by the value of tha bars so lowering them might be confusing. Lets try change the graphis first.

William
01-30-2013, 04:49 AM
Yeah, I get that change is hard for some people but how someone found '4 stars is more than 2 stars' complicated is beyond me

Just playing the devils advocate but the same thing could be said for dark green pips being worth double what a soft green is.

But like i said. Lets try changing the graphics a little.

ijankrom
01-30-2013, 04:58 AM
Can you just place a 3K, 15K, 25K within the stars? Or just 3, 15, 25, understanding each star is in the thousands.

mommy1
01-30-2013, 05:02 AM
The value of the stars are decided by the value of tha bars so lowering them might be confusing. Lets try change the graphis first.

Gotcha. :ssmile:

Goes to 11!
01-30-2013, 05:12 AM
Just playing the devils advocate but the same thing could be said for dark green pips being worth double what a soft green is.

But like i said. Lets try changing the graphics a little.

That's a point yeah. Obviously part of it is that it is just one more new thing in an entire realm of new things lol, We will adjust. :11:

William
01-30-2013, 05:14 AM
And I will try to make it easier:22:

fishmommie
01-30-2013, 05:28 AM
Another option: Possibly bigger stars would delineate greater values? Size does matter LOL
The way it looks now, if a newbie came on board and saw my stars compared to say Lady Hobbs or Mommy1 or YOU and MANY others - it would appear (at first glance) that I have more experience/expertise. And whoa - that is just silly.
Thanks for all the work on this William and I'm sure you'll be able to add some 'at a glance' clarity to this issue.

Lady Hobbs
01-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Just my two cents but I do not like this either. Rep was given by membership so I consider it a gift given to us for work well done. (And it was.) I was pretty proud of the fact that I had at least 7 gold stars and now I have one? These stars take up far less room than the awards do and they could even be made tiny if room was the problem. I don't care about gifts. A bunny rabbit gift means nothing to me but the stars that I worked for do. Honestly, I see this as no different than taking away awards that we earned. Updates, to me, should be giving members more not taking away what they already had?

Awards don't even have to be displayed. It could simply say "Awards" and a link to clink on the page if anyone was interested? Don't mean to B- but just passing on my thoughts.

William
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Since the color of the star seems very important to you. What do you guys think about this.

Taurus
01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
WHATEVER! Oh, sorry, there I go again. :help:

Trillianne
01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Couple of good suggestions (numbers in stars I like) another thought would be have the star coloration match the block coloration. So, Dark Green = Bronze, Light Green = Silver, and Gold is the same Gold. (Or vise-versa)

Another point is the layout seems like it runs backwards of the pips layout. (Pips go left to right upwards in rep, whereas the stars seem to go right to left upwards in rep since the bronzes are always to the right side)

Cyberra
01-30-2013, 08:38 PM
As someone who does not get many reputation points (I only have just over 5,500), I am actually rather pleased that I FINALLY HAVE A STAR!!! Even if I have the same number of reputation points as I did before, and it's only a tiny star. It's likely to stay tiny for the foreseeable future

fishmommie
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I just noticed that you considered my suggestion to reduce the star size on the lesser stars. I think it's a good visual. thanks!

Cliff
01-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Maybe we should give this some time and see what we think once we get used to the new set-up

As I'm still getting use to it, it will take me a little while before I have a opinion either way.

mommy1
01-30-2013, 10:53 PM
It's really about as confusing as before, just different. Oh well, I guess I will get used to it in time.

KingFisher
02-01-2013, 05:18 PM
It still looks confusing. I think a more standardized system would be better, similar to how it was originally.

Triton
02-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Where can we find our rep points (or the messages that come with them)?

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Click setting on the top right. Rep will display and number of rep you have will appear on top bar.