PDA

View Full Version : AllenIsbell's Marine Aquarium Experience

AllenIsbell
12-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Hello, all.

When I first got back into wanting aquariums about a year ago, my main goal was to build a marine aquarium. Just a basic, relatively small, FOWLR aquarium.

Instead I took the planted freshwater route. See thread here:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=99691

The freshwater aquarium is lots of fun, but I want to step a little outside of my comfort zone with the next "build."

Here's what I got:

Tank
20 gallon glass aquarium (24 1/4" x 12 1/2" x 16 3/4")

Lighting
CustomSeaLife 24" 65w x2 power compact (One white bulb, one blue) Not sure of the exact model. Can't find too much info on it. Since I know how to wire up LEDs, the moon lights are going to be the same custom deal I did on the freshwater aquarium. See link above for that...

Filtration
Eheim Professional II 2028 with custom PVC plumbing - No powerhead at first because I anticipate that the Eheim (having a variable flow rate) will move enough water to suffice).

Heater
Rena Cal Top Light Excel 100w

Substrate
Quikrete Premium Play Sand

Rock
Maybe Totoka. Still not 100% on my source at this point.

Fish/CUC
No idea, yet. Suggestions?

The Build
Well, I picked up the tank, some HOB filter, some heater, test kits, hydrometers, specimen container, lights, etc... off of craigslist for $40. I think I got a pretty darn good deal...

Today, I filled the tank to check for leaks. Seems fine. I then cleaned the glass. As of right now, I am about to go put the last layer of paint on the rear panel. Krylon Fusion blue. Looks awesome. I can't wait to see the sand and blue contrast with the lights. It's gonna be beautiful.

If you know me, you know that I LOVE posting tons of pictures. Unfortunately, I will have to wait until tomorrow when I have better lights to do so. As for now, send me some tank occupants suggestions!

steeler58
12-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Good on you to venture into the Marine world. It's come a long ways since I did it years ago.

There are some attractive damselfish that get overlooked, colorful wrasses that stay small and a few pigmy angelfish that would work in this size tank. Plus all the shrimp and the like I never got into.

Very detailed post the way.

I'm sure Cliff will weigh in to help you out.

Good luck and have fun.

Cliff
12-29-2012, 05:45 AM
If you are planning to add corals, I would suggest upgrading the lighting

As for fish suggestions here are a few to consider: Oscellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris), Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora), Longspine Cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacantha), and most of the gobys like the Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula) are are indivdual options that could work in a tank you size. Those would be about the best options (IMO) for a tank your size

As for your CUC, snails like Spiny Star Astraea (Astraea phoebia), Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp.) and Margarita Snail (Margarites pupillus) are all options that should work as well

I would also suggest a refactormeter instead of a hydrometer. It is not uncommon to find that hydrometers can be out by as much is 0.003 which can cause swings in your pH and other paramteres. Refactormeters are much more accurate

What were you planning to run in the filter ?

Knightia
12-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Oh this thread will be interesting. Subscribed. thumbs2:

I think in a few years I will be trying this myself so I look forward to how this progresses.

AllenIsbell
12-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Oh this thread will be interesting. Subscribed. thumbs2:

I think in a few years I will be trying this myself so I look forward to how this progresses.

Yeah, I have been itching to get this going for some time now! The progress won't be in too big of a hurry, though.

Good on you to venture into the Marine world. It's come a long ways since I did it years ago.

There are some attractive damselfish that get overlooked, colorful wrasses that stay small and a few pigmy angelfish that would work in this size tank. Plus all the shrimp and the like I never got into.

Very detailed post the way.

I'm sure Cliff will weigh in to help you out.

Good luck and have fun.

I will be checking out the fish you mentioned. I definitely want to get some fish with some colors that stand out. I'm sure I'll have a couple of clown fish... I just love how they look!

If you are planning to add corals, I would suggest upgrading the lighting

As for fish suggestions here are a few to consider: Oscellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris), Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora), Longspine Cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacantha), and most of the gobys like the Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula) are are indivdual options that could work in a tank you size. Those would be about the best options (IMO) for a tank your size

As for your CUC, snails like Spiny Star Astraea (Astraea phoebia), Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp.) and Margarita Snail (Margarites pupillus) are all options that should work as well

I would also suggest a refactormeter instead of a hydrometer. It is not uncommon to find that hydrometers can be out by as much is 0.003 which can cause swings in your pH and other paramteres. Refactormeters are much more accurate

What were you planning to run in the filter ?

As of right now, I don't plan on adding any corals. I will be going with a T5HO system if I do, though. I have done TONS of research on saltwater aquariums, as they were my main interest when I started to want to get back into fish-keeping.

Thank you for taking the time to post all of those fish. I can't wait to start picking them out!

I live near a place that sells CUC combos where you tell them what size aquarium you have, and they will bundle you up a good CUC for a discounted price. I will consider getting a refractometer. I've got to do some research on them to see what's worth paying for, and what's not.

Thanks again for all of the recommendations and help so far. Very much appreciated!

As for updates on the build, today I plan on building the spray bar and painting it.

What do you guys think, should I paint it black, or blue to match the blue background?

Pictures should be coming along today.

AllenIsbell
12-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Oh, what do I plan on running in the filter? Well, I have tons of bioballs, filter floss pads, sponges, crushed media rocks, carbon, and ceramic rings. I don't know what variation I'm going to use. Probably just the same thing I have on the freshwater tank. A tray of bioballs, 2 trays of ceramic rings, carbon, filter floss, and a sponge.

If you can suggest a better variation, let me know!

Cliff
12-29-2012, 04:00 PM
I would not use any biological filter media at all if you are already planning to have live rock in this tank. Biological filter media will require a lot of extra maintenance or it will add a lot of nitrates to your set-up. It's extra work you don't need as with enough live rock, you will get all the filtration that you need already.

Carbon or products like chemi pure would be a good addtion to use in the canister to help your set-up

AllenIsbell
12-29-2012, 04:08 PM
That's good to know. Well, how about this. What if I only use about 10 lbs of live rock? Or any lesser amount?

Cliff
12-29-2012, 04:19 PM
The more live rock, the better your set-up will become. I would suggest 5 to 10 lbs of live rock, and 10 to 20 of dry rock. Basically about 25% live and 75% dry for a total of around 25 to 30 lbs of rock in total

That is also a great way to cycle your tank pretty quick and easy (fishless of course).

The below links might help

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/2012/what-are-the-benefits-of-live-rock/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/2012/cycling-a-marine-aquarium/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/2012/setting-up-your-first-marine-aquarium-2/

Shidohari
12-29-2012, 04:25 PM
I can't wait to see what comes of this new experience for you.

good luck.

AllenIsbell
12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I can't wait to see what comes of this new experience for you.

good luck.

Me, either! Thanks!

The more live rock, the better your set-up will become. I would suggest 5 to 10 lbs of live rock, and 10 to 20 of dry rock. Basically about 25% live and 75% dry for a total of around 25 to 30 lbs of rock in total

That is also a great way to cycle your tank pretty quick and easy (fishless of course).

The below links might help

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/2012/what-are-the-benefits-of-live-rock/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/2012/cycling-a-marine-aquarium/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/2012/setting-up-your-first-marine-aquarium-2/

Actually, my source of rock is going to be dry rock - Fiji Totoka. I'm getting it for $2/lbs, so I can't pass it up. What I'm wondering is, IF I do use the filter media that I listed above, will I be okay with only about 10lbs of rock? I don't mind waiting for the cycle. I am going to be seeding my filter, anyway.

AllenIsbell
12-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Picture time.

Finished up the paint and rinsed my sand today. It's hard to see in the picture because of the lighting and reflections, but it looks really good. I can't wait to put some water in it!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/567B6F95-021C-4D38-BFA2-007D877726DC-6856-00000436049C1836.jpg

Knightia
12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Smart looking tank. thumbs2:

Cliff
12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
If your going to be seeding your filter, then why not just seed your rock instead. It is the same thing after all as your rock is your biological filtration. And by seeding your rock, I am referring to cycling your tank. You can do that pretty easy by setting up your marine tank and then cycling with lower levels of ammonia if you do not want to buy live rock.

$2/lb for Fiji or even Totoka is one great deal. I have trouble finding that at $4/lb. I would get a whole lot of rock at that price.

ALso, just as a FYI, you can not seed a filter to be used on a marine tank by seeding it on a FW set-up. They are slightly different bacterias that complete the nitrogen cycle even tho they do a same functions. I thought I would mention that if that was what you were referring to when you said you were going to seed your filter.

AllenIsbell
12-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Smart looking tank. thumbs2:

Lol thanks!

If your going to be seeding your filter, then why not just seed your rock instead. It is the same thing after all as your rock is your biological filtration. And by seeding your rock, I am referring to cycling your tank. You can do that pretty easy by setting up your marine tank and then cycling with lower levels of ammonia if you do not want to buy live rock.

$2/lb for Fiji or even Totoka is one great deal. I have trouble finding that at $4/lb. I would get a whole lot of rock at that price.

ALso, just as a FYI, you can not seed a filter to be used on a marine tank by seeding it on a FW set-up. They are slightly different bacterias that complete the nitrogen cycle even tho they do a same functions. I thought I would mention that if that was what you were referring to when you said you were going to seed your filter.

The reason I am leaning towards using the filter media instead of more rocks is because I'm using such a large filter, and want to get it's full potential out of it. If that sounds crazy, tell me, and I'll reconsider haha. Also, price. I try to spend as little as possible on my hobbies, but I don't want to be so cheap that I do something stupid or "wrong." In my mind, I'm thinking that I can save money, and get the same filtration capabilities by buying less rock, and using the media that I already own. Again, if this is not a good idea, tell me! ;)

I don't know why I said "Fiji Totoka." The rock I'm getting is just Totoka dry rock.

I was wondering about being able to seed a marine filter from a saltwater filter. Thanks for clearing that up, but I was going to see about getting some media from a friend who has a couple of AMAZING and big reefs.

Thanks, Cliff. The help is greatly appreciated!

Cliff
12-29-2012, 07:50 PM
The reason I am leaning towards using the filter media instead of more rocks is because I'm using such a large filter, and want to get it's full potential out of it. If that sounds crazy, tell me, and I'll reconsider haha.

IMO, I would reconsider. You can certainly have a healthy tank with a canister filter, but you will also have more than double the work and likely a lot more water changes will be required as you will not grow the nitrate eating bacteria inside filter media (it will only grow on your rocks and substrate). That would likely cost more in the long run

If you skip some maintenance (just once), you will most likely be dealing with water parameter problems. Trust me, I am going this right now with a 40 gallon QT tank that I thought I would give a canister filter a try. This darn tank is turning out to be more work than my other three tanks put together and that is just to keep the nitrates around 5ppm.

You have far less tolerances to your water parameters being off in marine tanks as compaired to FW. That is why the last thing you want to cut corners on is the filtration.

Just it some more thought and maybe read thtough a few of the marine tank journels here to see how others have set-up thier tanks

AllenIsbell
12-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Okay. I will go with more rock, then. I definitely don't want to mess anything up. Well, should I just NOT use the canister, and run a good HOB filter and about 25 lbs of rock? My two options for filters are the canister and a HOB.

I'm going to check out some journals now.

Cliff
12-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Chemical media like chemi-pure, carbon, or phosphate removers are all great choices for a canister or HOB filters.

jeffs99dime
12-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Cool. Definitely interested in following this thread. Are you going to put vids on youtube with this tank Allen?

AllenIsbell
12-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Cool. Definitely interested in following this thread. Are you going to put vids on youtube with this tank Allen?

Most definitely!

Chemical media like chemi-pure, carbon, or phosphate removers are all great choices for a canister or HOB filters.

Okay. Thank you.

jeffs99dime
12-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Shhhhhweeet!

AllenIsbell
12-29-2012, 09:50 PM
It sounds like you are as hyped as I am LOL!

AllenIsbell
12-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Ugh...

I typed CFL as my lighting. It's a power compact...

I wish there was an edit option.

:(

Maybe a mod could help me out?

Cliff
12-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Requested edit completed

AllenIsbell
12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Thank you, Cliff. You are definitely a great help on this forum.

I've got some thinking to do... Spray bar.

If I decide to go with the Eheim canister filter, I've got to build a spray bar for it.

Since it's a small tank with a variable rate filter that's capable of running 158 gallons, I'm going to have plenty of water flow, and I could use the spray bar sort of like a power head. So, I was thinking that maybe I could run the spray bar like this:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/F65A9166-F2ED-46FF-A114-32121C4C3900-8815-00000587549D3A72.jpg

If I do that, I can stagger the jets--half of the holes agitating the surface, and the other half spraying downward like a power head. With a 1/8" drill bit, I would drill 3 or so holes spraying straight out for the surface agitation, and 3 holes slightly downward (maybe 45 degrees) to circulate the water. I could always add a powerhead if I needed, but I don't think I would. That Eheim puts out a LOT of water flow. I'm using one on my freshwater tank and it does some serious work.

Or, put it right here, and have a completely separate power head:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DF66CC47-47F3-4BF3-B6E3-8C7D213D0E49-8815-0000058758554AFB.jpg

This way is typical, but it won't kill two birds with one stone.

For those of you wondering, the spray bar will be made out of Sch 40 PVC, and will be painted black with Krylon Fusion... Unlike the bright white one in my FW tank...

Cliff
12-31-2012, 01:14 AM
What about a split spray bar ?

Having one spray bar at one side of the tank moving the water in one direction will not give you the best flow for a marine set-up. But if you were to use a "T" fitting and have two spray bars (one at each end) you will also get some random flow which is a lot better. Like getting two power heads for the price of one. I think that would be a pretty cool project to pull off

The below link provides a little more detail

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/2012/the-importance-of-water-flow-and-movement-2/

AllenIsbell
12-31-2012, 04:52 PM
I could make that with no problem. The only issue in my mind would possibly be that I have more flow on one side than the other. Of course, I could make sure everything was symmetrical. I may give it a go, but I also might just buy a nano powerhead haha.

Cliff
12-31-2012, 05:00 PM
You can over come that by adding ball valves, one on each line to balance the flow. It can take a little time to find the right setting, but it can be done very easy and without resitricting the flow from the canister

AllenIsbell
12-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Ingenious.

I have a couple of those valves laying around.

AllenIsbell
01-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Thinking more about it. I'm debating on just going with a 10g sump.

I'm thinking of doing a simple design as this one:

http://tylermerrick.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/06/diy-10g-sump/

At first, I won't have a protein skimmer. That will come down the road when I have the extra funds.

If anyone has a better design, please share.

Cliff
01-03-2013, 12:49 AM
A combination drain and skimmer section may not work. The reason being is that you will get a lot of micro and large bubbles from the water draining into your sump. Those bubble would prevent the skimmer from working properly if they get sucked into the skimmer's intake. You can prevent that with filter socks on the drain line, but you might have to make the skimmer compartment a little larger.

I would suggest picking out a few skimmer that you would like to buy down the road then size that compartment to match (both lenght width, and hight). You would be better off leaving a little room for your skimmer compartment and taking some away from your refugium caompartment, at least IMO.

Would you have your main tank drilled, or use a syphone based drain ?

AllenIsbell
01-03-2013, 12:53 AM
I'm not 100% set on that design, so if something is wrong with it, I surely will change it.

I have no idea where to even start looking when it comes to protein skimmers. I only have a general idea of what they do, and I'm constantly being told I should get one if I want my tank to be successful. I don't want one hanging on the back. That would look tacky in my opinion.

I will be drilling my tank as soon as I figure out the size of the hole I need to make, and where I need to make said holes.

AllenIsbell
01-03-2013, 12:54 AM
I actually made a separate thread about this to target the most help.

Cliff
01-03-2013, 01:02 AM
I would suggest sticking with a mid quality skimmer like: AquaC, Vertex, Skimz, or Bubble Magnis. I have used the first three lsited there and found them to work very very well. I would suggest to go with one rate for around twice your total water volume (tank plus sump).

Once you have a skimmer picked out, you will know the max flow it requires for optimal skimming. Base your flow through your sump on that. That fow will determing your return pump size, GHP, and pipe size (both drain and return). I know this may sound vert technical right now, but trust me it is not. Once you have set one up, you will know what I mean.

After all, I can set one up and I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed :ssuprised:

AllenIsbell
01-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Gotcha. That helps, a lot.

You definitely are one of the sharper ones, though!

AllenIsbell
01-03-2013, 11:29 PM
I am supposed to be doing some trading for one of these Saturday:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaC_Remora_S_Hang_On_Protein_Skimmer_w_Drain_Fit ting_Cobalt_Aquatics_MJ1200_Powerhead_Pump_Hang_On _Spray_Injection_Protein_Skimmers-AquaC-AC31151-FIPSHOSI-vi.html

Cliff
01-03-2013, 11:32 PM
That's a very good quality HOB skimmer. I'm using one right now on a 40 gallon QT set-up.

Are you still planning a sump tho ???

AllenIsbell
01-03-2013, 11:42 PM
In the long run, yes.

I was thinking about running this skimmer on the side of the sump. That would give me more room in the sump for live rock, etc...

Cliff
01-03-2013, 11:49 PM
You can do that

You would need at least one compartment the will allow of water to be full right to the top of the sump (or the skimmer to work properly), and others would have to considerbly lower lower to allow for drain back into the sump should your return pump stop working or you have a power failure. That will make more noise in the sump due to the water falling (instead of just flowwing) from one compartment into the the next.

AllenIsbell
01-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Gotcha.

I sketched this real fast. Not drawn to scale, and none of the areas sizes have been figured.

Am I on the right track?

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/sump_zps41b8d24d.png

Cliff
01-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Yup, looks like you are on track

You could get away with 2 baffles were you have four between the fuge and skimmer. But I like how you did that to reduce the nosie the sump makes. That is a really really good idea. I'm goging to have to remember that little trick, nicely done

AllenIsbell
01-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Ha! Well, thank you, man!

That means a lot coming from you! One of my biggest concerns is noise, and I had to do something to have less of a "waterfall" in there.

I can't wait to get this build moving along.

Cliff
01-04-2013, 12:37 AM
This is why I alway like tank journels. There is always something for me to learn

AllenIsbell
01-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Got that right.

I've watched TONSSSSSSS of how-to videos on Youtube for various things. Just when you think they are all redundant... someone mentions something that can make your project that much better/easier.

AllenIsbell
01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
I will be building a custom stand and canopy for this aquarium. It's going to be either stained or painted black with a satin finish.

The stand will be 3" tall, that way I can enjoy it standing up or sitting down. I plan to start on the stand next week. I'm not sure if I will be making a build video on it or not. If anyone wants me to, I will.

Cliff
01-05-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the build

I'm assuming you mean a 3 foot stand, correct ? With a 36 inch high stand, you should have a lot of room in the sump for a skimmer when you add one,

AllenIsbell
01-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes, 3'. My pinky must be addicted to the shift button.

In that case, I will take pictures and videos. I'll make it a quick vid so it's not too boring haha.

AllenIsbell
01-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Quick update.

I got a used AquaC Remora protein skimmer with a Maxi Jet 1200 pump.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/26826F51-D0F4-4B7A-8FE0-8B960AF48123-22607-00000E591464327D.jpg

It was dirty when I got it, but it cleaned up to look brand spanking new.

Also, I ditched the hose and got some replacement hose from Lowes. I may lower the pump a little with the longer hose depending on if I have room behind my rockscape. To help hide the pump... Don't worry, I'm not going to use those metal water clamps. I'm getting some plastic ratcheting clamps instead.

Speaking of rock. I got about 25lbs of dry rock for FREE from a local forum! I love generous people. I do plan on buying a few pounds of live rock to get my system seeded, though.

I am going to mess around with the rock tonight to see what kind of rockscapes I can come up with.

Pictures will be taken if I come up with some creative designs.

I understand that I should have as little contact with the sand as I can with the rocks, while maintaining a solid structure with plenty of caves/crevices for the water flow and fish.

Cliff
01-09-2013, 12:22 AM
WOW 25lbs of free rock is great news

If you find the Aquac C a little noisey, there is a quick and easy mod to make it a lot quiter.

AllenIsbell
01-09-2013, 12:25 AM
I read about that. I may have to do it if it's too loud for my taste. I'll decide once it's broken in.

Hey, I got a sponge with it that looks like it slides into the filter. Any idea where it may go? I can't find any info on it. I can take pics if it's not ringing a bell.

Cliff
01-09-2013, 12:39 AM
There is a sponge pre-filter that is made to go over the maxijet 1200 intake strainer, it that what you are talking about ?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ibZiq-4FL.jpg

AllenIsbell
01-09-2013, 12:40 AM
There is a sponge pre-filter that is made to go over the maxijet 1200 intake strainer, it that what you are talking about ?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ibZiq-4FL.jpg

Oh, nah not that. I got that, too. Not using it. It is HUGE. I will take a pic real fast.

AllenIsbell
01-09-2013, 12:41 AM
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/A3C80621-904E-4CB0-90DF-D75C994F9BA2-26587-000010E41357D317.jpg

Cliff
01-09-2013, 12:50 AM
It might be the sponge for the surface pre-filter assembly, which is a optional pc of equipment for that skimmer

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/User%27s%20Manuals/Prefilter%20Box.pdf

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/Product%20Pages/Prefilters.htm

AllenIsbell
01-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Ah gotcha. I debated on getting the pre skimmer box.

I weighed the rocks. Right over 30 lbs. :D

AllenIsbell
01-09-2013, 01:13 AM
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/907749BD-1C73-4B51-BF9F-31C9AC33AF36-26587-000010E551E5D956.jpg

Came up with this, but I have a TON left over. Gonna be hard to stuff it in there while maintaining a good look. I may have to start out with less than I have, then move the remaining to the sump in the not too near future. I guess I could always pile it up in the rear...

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/E620CBE2-610F-4D33-BE61-1F0B1723210D-26587-000010E55598F88C.jpg

AllenIsbell
01-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Got the wood for the stand. I'm about to go get my hands dirty. I plan on having the frame built tonight, and it should be wrapped and painted this weekend.

I will do my best to document the process.

The last component I need is a power head. Now, should I run 2 Koralia Nano 240s, or 1 Koralia Nano 425? I'm leaning more towards 1 425 to save space in the tank.

AllenIsbell
01-11-2013, 03:24 AM
I wasn't going to post a picture until it was finished, but I couldn't resist. I LOVE the height of the stand. 36" was definitely the way to go. More details why will be included in the video!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/F4356E15-14E0-4BC7-9931-26A6473B1AE2-30419-0000134F7D17C78C.jpg

NOTE: The stand is not finished. This is just the frame!

Cliff
01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm looking forward to more up-dates

AllenIsbell
01-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Guys, I'm reviewing the footage that I have so far, and you may wonder what my deal is. I have this weird blinking problem. I have a mild case of tourettes. No, I don't scream obscenities or anything like that. Just weird subtle body movements, but mostly the blinking thing. It annoys me as much as anyone else...

Just had to notate that real quick before the video is posted.

thumbs2:

AllenIsbell
01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Wow. Just wow.

That's all I can say about the stand. The tank fits PERFECT. I hate to brag, but we did a great job on it. (My friend Kyle and I) Not sure if I've introduced him on here, but he does custom cabinets on the side, and he does a damn good job at it. I built the frame, and gave him some dimensions to make the wrap.

I drew this up on sketchup:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/1A0D3E57-C899-4935-A189-8633708D29A7-35448-00001696363B92C0.jpg

I got everything set up and running. I'm waiting on the water to clear up before I post pictures!

I'm doing this all day --->:hmm3grin2orange:

Goes to 11!
01-13-2013, 08:52 PM
I got everything set up and running. I'm waiting on the water to clear up before I post pictures!
:think: . . . :idea: Put a defibrillator on it and shout 'CLEAR!' - It works in the movies. :14: :hmm3grin2orange:

Looking forward to the pics.

AllenIsbell
01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
LOL

That would be a great way to trip every breaker in Athens.

Goes to 11!
01-13-2013, 11:18 PM
LOL

That would be a great way to trip every breaker in Athens.
Hmm. . True, But breakers are annoying anyway:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3q6vlyEZ11ql2w3vo1_400.gif . . . :whistle: :shifty:
:22:

AllenIsbell
01-19-2013, 07:56 PM
LOL. I wonder what The Rock would do if he had that sort of elbow skills?

As far as the tank updates go, my friend forgot to bring my my camera back, so the video update on the stand will be delayed until I am able to get it back. It should be posted Monday or Tuesday.

Shidohari
01-19-2013, 10:23 PM
can't wait to see how it's going.

AllenIsbell
01-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Got the saltwater mixed and in the tank. Before, I just had tap water in there with the peotein skimmer running. It never collected any foam. Now with the salt water in, it's already started foaming after only 24 hours!

Salinity: 1.023

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/A945A3B5-3DC9-4666-BD31-C98103048117-6018-0000071A15209AFA.jpg

Cliff
01-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Yes, skimmers really don't work in fresh water. I also tried it once just to see what would happen

I would suggest rasing your salinity to 1.025 to 1.026 tho. It will help to keep your pH more stable and help your corals and coraline grow faster. You have to also keep in mind, the salinity of the ocean is 1.027. The closer you can keep your tank to that, the better it can be.

I'm looking forward to seeing more pics

Shidohari
01-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Looking good Allen. I can't wait to see further pictures either.

AllenIsbell
01-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Well, it's going to be a fish only operation until I can get better lighting or a new bulb. No telling how old my current bulb is. Could I toss a few table spoons of salt in there to raise it up some, or should I take some out, mix it in a selerate container and add it back?

Cliff
01-20-2013, 01:11 AM
I would suggest taking some water out, mixing a little more salt in it, then pore it back in. Its never a good idea just to put salt directly in the tank

I like to take the same approach for FOWLR as I do for reef. The reason being is that all the fish we keep in FOWLR set-ups come from, or near, the coral reefs in the ocean and will do best when kept in those same water conditions. A very similar approach as we can find in FW. The biggest difference between the fish and the corals (in terms of water quality) is that most fish can be more tolerant to some parameter swings as compaired to most corals.

Many people would disaggree with me on that

AllenIsbell
01-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Understood. I will get on that today. I have no idea how much water to take out, and how much salt to add in to get it right, haha.

Anyone got any preferred methods?

Cliff
01-20-2013, 03:47 PM
LOL, it can also be a little different for each brand of salt, just to make it a little easier for you :hmm3grin2orange:

I normally mix my salt water in a large container. As I have been using the same brand for about a year now, I have a really good idea of how much to add based on that brand of salt and the size of my container. I would suggest using a 5 gallon bucket, add a powerhead, then add about 1 cup of your salt. After 3 or 4 hours of mixing, test the salinity and adjust from there. Once you got it between 1.025 and 1.026, you will then know how much to add to the bucket next time to make 5 gallons. You can just adjust from there for your weekly water changes.

For your current situation, just take a little tank water, try mixing a little salt in there (like a few tsp) put it back in the tank and test in a few hours. You waint to make your changes to your salinity very slowly for best results

AllenIsbell
01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
That's pretty much exactly what I was going to do, Cliff!

I WANTED to get the InstantOcean Reef Crystals, but they were out.

I got the regular InstantOcean instead.

AllenIsbell
01-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Sigh....

This tank is so clean... Begging for some sort of life....

I went up to Aquarium Outfitters (Locally owned LFS), and man... They have some beautiful fish.

I think I want to get one Oscellaris Clown fish. I'm thinking about the ones that are black instead of orange. Not quite as common, and I love the rich, deep, dark black they offer.

I was thinking about a couple of Pajama Cardinal or a couple of Banggai Cardinals. Most likely the Banggai since they stay a little smaller.

Maybe, just maybe a Pom Pom crab. I made sure I left plenty of open spaces as well as caves for a crab to run around in when building my rockscape.

Pictures will be posted tomorrow shortly after the video! (I hope)

Cliff
01-21-2013, 02:01 AM
You may not want to go with clownfish and Banggai Cardinalfish both in a 20 gallon tank. That might be a little too crowed. Maybe some longspine cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacantha) or dracula goby (stonogobiops dracula) would work for you (with the clownfish).

Please disreguard stocking recommendations at the begining of this thread. At that time I mistakenly thought you had a larger tank.

AllenIsbell
01-21-2013, 02:42 AM
Gotcha. At said LFS they had a tank similar size as mine with 2 clowns and 2 Banggai Cardinals.

Cliff
01-21-2013, 03:52 AM
The combo can be risky (long term) in a 20 gallon tank. You have to keep in mind, most LFS know or plan to only have the fish in their tanks for a very short period of time. They truly can push their luck and get away with it with ever having a slight problem.

Just make sure you research this potential stocking list so you understand the risks and you can make a informed choice.

AllenIsbell
01-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Will do, amigo. Thanks, again.

AllenIsbell
01-22-2013, 04:46 AM
Here is the stand video:

(It will take a few minutes before you can watch it.) It's being processed.

LdKBqbdGxv4

AllenIsbell
01-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Wow. Last night, I recorded a 10 minute video clip introducing my aquarium and it got currupt during the transfer to my computer.

*sigh*

I guess I'll be redoing it tonight.

AllenIsbell
01-23-2013, 01:48 AM
Pictures! Video will probably be tomorrow... :(

Tank shot:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/IMG_2209_zpsabaeb114.jpg

Full shot:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/IMG_2207_zps80bdcdf2.jpg

Another full shot with the exposure lowered to show the stand:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/IMG_2208_zps680a2219.jpg

Cliff
01-23-2013, 02:11 AM
I really like how you arranged the rocks in your tank. There are a lot of cave like structures that will help to provide more surface area to grow more BB and give your fish a hiding spot if they feel threatened. Good job

The stand also looks really good as well

thumbs2:

AllenIsbell
01-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks, Cliff! Thanks for the gift, too!

The tank video is uploading now. I will post it on here tomorrow. I won't be up when it's finished.

Good night, all.

AllenIsbell
01-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Aquarium Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJh7rJ5yvpo&feature=youtu.be

Watch in HD!

jeffs99dime
01-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Very nice. Looks good. Should be interesting to see how it progresses.

AllenIsbell
01-24-2013, 03:05 AM
Yeah, man. Same here.

I tested the PH, and it's at 8.3.

I haven't seeded the tank with anything, but I did notice that there were a good many dead worms in there from the rocks. Maybe they started the nitrogen cycle? They are clear with black sections. Maybe it's a digestive tract of a worm or something.

I am going to test for nitrites and nitrates tomorrow.

Also, I THINK I am seeing some green algae on the top of the rocks. I have the lights on for 9 hours a day.

The protein skimmer is making lots of bubbles. The collection cup has about 1/2" of liquid.

Cliff
01-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Cycling a tank always seams like the home stretch for me

What are you using or planning to use for a ammonia sourse to cycle the tank ?

AllenIsbell
01-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Maybe a piece of shrimp.

Cliff
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Pure ammonia would certainly be a lot better as you won't be adding any additional nitrates and phosphates into the system that way. If that happens, the nitrates and phosphates will get soaked into your rocks and leach out back into the water over time. These types of situations can lead to long term algae battles which are not fun.

AllenIsbell
01-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Pure ammonia would certainly be a lot better as you won't be adding any additional nitrates and phosphates into the system that way. If that happens, the nitrates and phosphates will get soaked into your rocks and leach out back into the water over time. These types of situations can lead to long term algae battles which are not fun.

Notated, Cliff. Thanks for the educational posts. I learn at least one thing new from you every single day, it seems!

I have more of the lime green algae. It doesn't look hairy or anything. Here are a couple of pictures:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/8D9ECD2B-C280-41E1-9BAE-6B910F984B8C-5177-000006D3B15C96A3.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/7B529490-54B4-4AC0-948A-F2DF6966EAF5-5177-000006D3B4DC1E6D.jpg

I will be testing for nitrites and nitrates tonight. I don't have any ammonia tests, yet. :/

Cliff
01-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Sorry if I missed this info already

Did you add any live rock or ammonia to the tank ?

Did you use tap water or RO water to start the tank ?

You can always just shut off the lights and keep them off while cycling.

AllenIsbell
01-26-2013, 12:59 AM
The rock was dry. The water is tap that I filtered through our Pur filter and used water dechlorinator to remove chlorine and cloromine.

I know, I know. it's not RO/DI, because I didn't want to pay for 20 gallons of water. Cheap, yes. I will eventually get a RO/DI unit. Hopefully very soon. I will be doing ALL of my water changes and top offs with RO water from the grocery store. I'm sure I have some phosphates or something similar in there that are promoting such growth.

The only reason I went ahead and used tap water was because I have read in different places and heard in different Youtube videos that some people use tap water with no issues at all--even in reefs, so I figured I'd try it. The guy in this particular video that I'm thinking about was the owner of an LFS and he was the one saying that RO/DI water isn't a must.

Oh, no ammonia, yet.

Cliff
01-26-2013, 01:44 AM
If you keep the lights off you can get rid of the algae

I would be interested to see if your rocks are leaching out nitrates or phosphates. Your test results should tell you that. I would go ahead and test for nitrates now just to see

AllenIsbell
01-26-2013, 02:12 AM
I will get on that ASAP. Gotta make my son some dinner!

AllenIsbell
01-26-2013, 03:12 AM
Nitrates: ~10 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm

Cliff
01-26-2013, 03:15 AM
Well,.. it looks like that is the cause of the algae. If this is higher than the nitrate level in your tap water, I would suggest water changes until the nitrate level in the tank matches the nitrate level of your tap water.

AllenIsbell
01-31-2013, 11:48 PM
That ish was hair algae. I got rid of it with a toothbrush and leaving the light off 24/7. Look like there was some red slime in there, too. Got rid of it.

At what point in the cycle should I do a water change?

Cliff
02-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Generally speaking, when/if you ammonia gets over 2ppm, or to lower the nitrates as low as you can before adding fish

AllenIsbell
02-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Okay. Thanks, amigo.

AllenIsbell
02-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Got a Koralia 240 in there. I will probably get a Koralia 425 for main circulation, and use the 240 for surface agitation before I get any coral.

Here's a pic, anyway. It's a little cloudy due to the new current.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/8E7B5EAD-8200-431C-AF84-20284D47E751-1721-00000176E2A52198_zpse4a15d04.jpg

AllenIsbell
02-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Still cycling... Should be nearing the end. I'm gonna wait until the shrimp is completely gone to make sure my BB is top notch. I may drop a small CUC in this week to work on the algae.

I got myself a DSLR. Nikon D3100. Expect MUCH better media from me from here on out.

Cliff
02-09-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm looking forward to the pics with the new camera

AllenIsbell
02-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Quick, boring update. The cycle is complete. I'm going to be buying RO/DI water from the LFS for $.50 a gallon until I get my own RO/DI unit.

I'm going to do a big water change on Sunday to get some clean water in there. Within a few days after the water change, I'm going to to pick up a clean up crew.

I, personally, am leaning towards NOT getting snails. I had a mad outbreak in my last aquarium, and I don't want that again. Can I get away without having snails? I'm sure I can, but I don't know just how big of a difference it would make. If it's worth it, I'll do it.

Pictures and video with this camera are amazing. The 18-55mm lens that comes with it is decent, but I really need a macro lens so I can get some nice close up shots of the tank. I will upgrade lens in the future if I feel it's necessary. I want to deliver great content to you guys.

Cliff
02-16-2013, 02:52 AM
You can't really think about marine snails in the same way as you would fresh water snails. You will not see mad outbreaks of marine snails like you would pond snails in a fresh water aquarium. Your not going to get any other CUC that is easy to keep, AND, will help to clean the glass.

When looking into to your CUC, you will see certain critters in a CUC will only clean up certain types of algae. That is why it is improtant to have a wide range of critters in your CUC.

AllenIsbell
02-16-2013, 02:56 AM
Enough said. I will go with the whole nano cleaner package.

For $20, you get:

10 Nano Nerite Snails, 4 Blue or Red Leg Hermits, 1 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab, 1 Nano Short Spine Urchin & 3 Nano Nassarius Snail.

It says that it's good for up to 15 gallons. I'm assuming it will do the job in my 20 gallon since it's pretty new.

Cliff
02-16-2013, 03:04 AM
If you have a good amount of algae, that should be a good CUC. To put that list into prospective, I only have a few more snails and the same amount of crabs that keep 100 lbs of live rock clean in a 120 gallon tank.

Just make sure you put a lot of extra shells for the hermits to switch to, otherwise you will end up with just one hermit crab as they kill each other off to steel there shells

AllenIsbell
02-16-2013, 05:32 AM
I will keep that in mind, Cliff. Where can I get more shells? Earthbound at the local mall sells them, but they are painted up for kids.

Also picked up a hospital tank/salt mixing station.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/9958BBAD-395A-4CA2-9CAF-90E82085868C-11229-00000F58C293C573_zpsd8950286.jpg

Cliff
02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Great to hear you are got a QT tank. It can be a pain in the backside to QT new fish, but the effort is certainly worth it

You should be able to find shells at craft stores or in the craft section of Walmart. At least that is were I was able to find them here when I live. Before putting the shells in the tank, I would suggest to soak them in RO water for a week or so and carefully inspect the shells to make sure they were not coated with anything.

AllenIsbell
02-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Good deal. I will have to run out and pick up some shells when I get the CUC. Maybe the LFS will have them. I would think they would.

I'm gonna build a stand for the 10 gallon. I've just got to find somewhere to put it. It may be going into my garage. It's still cold here at night, so I may have to run a 2nd heater. The main reason for getting it is to mix salt into. I bought 12 gallons of RO/DI water yesterday so I can get all of this tap water out of my tank.

I will be building the stand and setting up the mixing tank today. I might as well do a video since I got the new camera!

AllenIsbell
02-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Video update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GPwrqZ7SHc

Watch in HD!

AllenIsbell
02-19-2013, 12:27 AM
About to go pick up a clean up crew.

AllenIsbell
02-19-2013, 01:44 AM
I picked up 2 Blue Legged Hermits and 2 Turbo Snails. They are floating now! Man...the wait has been killing me. I'm so excited to see some life in there!

AllenIsbell
02-20-2013, 01:14 AM
I've got a couple of concerns with the behavior of my CUC.

Bigger Blue Leg Hermit - Constantly running around the tank. Up the rocks, scraping the glass, etc... Everywhere. Seems healthy. Bored?

Smaller Blue Leg Hermit- Has been standing in the same area, but moving his arms around. Has done this all day.

Smaller Turbo Snail- BARELY moving around. I checked to see if he was alive by trying to move him. He was good and stuck to the rock and I could see him moving.

Bigger Turbo Snail- I think It's dead. I haven't seen it move once since I got it. It has been closed up tightly in the shell. I know that when they are closed like that, it generally means that they are alive. I mean...it hasn't moved .001". I tried to flip it over to get a look at it. It's shut in there tight. Should I leave it up side down or turn it back over?

I've never had crabs, so I don't know how they behave. My freshwater snails were always on the move.

Thanks.

Cliff
02-20-2013, 01:39 AM
I never had that experiance adding crabs or snails before

How did you accimate them to the tank?

Can the one crab that has not moved yet touch the substrate with his legs ? Sometimes they can get like a turtle on it's back

Try spot feeding the crabs some mysis shrimp. That should perk them up.

As for your snails, I have never experianced anything like that before so I can't help much there

AllenIsbell
02-20-2013, 01:48 AM
I floated the bag for 30 minutes. While floating, I added .5ml of my water to the bag every 5-10 minute for an hour. Poured some out. Repeated that for about an hour and a half. Then put them in.

The smaller crab can walk around, he just stays in one area behind the rocks. I don't have any mysis shrimp. I may have to get some if things don't pick up.

I tested the water and everything is normal.

My fingers are crossed that everything is okay!

Cliff
02-20-2013, 01:55 AM
Sounds like they just need to get used to their new home

Maybe try turning of the lights for a day and see if that helps

AllenIsbell
02-20-2013, 11:34 PM
The big snail is dead. I flipped the shell over and it fell out. I took it out and flushed it, but kept the smell. Oh, man... It smelled like a bed of roses.

What can I do to the shell to make it safe for the water? I don't want to introduce any ammonia from any dead particles left inside.

The other snail and hermits are doing fine now.

AllenIsbell
02-23-2013, 02:49 AM
Well, I sort of broke some rules with my stocking. Don't be mad at me! If I have any issues, re-homing will be in order.

I got a Banggai Cardinalfish, Lawnmower Blenny, and a Pencil Urchin.

For food, I got Omega One flakes and I bought a Brine Shrimp kit so I can hatch my own.

I read that the Pencil Urchin is not reef safe, so I'm not going to have any corals for a few months. It is under a rock right now. When it comes out, I will post a pic.

I added the HOB filter that came with the 10 gallon aquarium kit. I wanted to use it so I could get a little more surface agitation, and to have a place to house my carbon. It being new, has made micro bubbles. Gotta love that!

I also added 2lbs of "premium Fiji live rock." It has a lot of coraline on it. I wanted to get that started. I'm over 32lbs of rock in here!

So far, I have only got one picture. I will add more soon! A video will be up in a few days once I make sure everything is under control with the life and water parameters in the tank. It is a little cloudy from me disturbing the sand with the rock.

To wrap this up, every thing in the tank is moving around just fine. The Blenny started going after algae as soon as he got in here. I dropped in a couple of flakes to see how they would react. The crabs came running out of hiding and the Banggai took a few bites that came in front of his face.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_0693_zps86f4d46f.jpg

Cliff
02-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Keep a close eye you your ammonia and nitrite levels for the next few day as you could get a mini-spike from the live rock you just added

AllenIsbell
02-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Definitely.

Thank you, Cliff. I wasn't aware that adding rock would cause that.

AllenIsbell
02-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Oh, and I have been leaving the algae on the rear glass. Should I clean it off or continue leaving it?

Cliff
02-23-2013, 03:25 AM
I would leave that algae for your snails to find

Any time you have live rock out of water you will have die off. The longer the rock is out of water, the move die off you will get, and the more ammonia you will get. Just like cycling a tank with live rock

AllenIsbell
02-23-2013, 03:29 AM
Ah gotcha. It was in a plastic bag for about an hour. Went right into the tank. They said I didn't need to cure it because they have already done so. They have these huge bins that they keep their live rock that is for sale. It doesn't any type of fish, inverts, etc in there. Supposedly just clean live rock.

The Blenny has actually already done a number on the algae. I can see his "bite" marks now that he came out of hiding to eat.

AllenIsbell
02-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Here are a few more pictures I got last night right before the lights went off. I will attempt to get more today.

Still a lot of bubbles in there. It looks like most of them are gone this morning.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_0700_zps2ec7fc93.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_0702_zps762cc1bf.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_0703_zps6ca763e6.jpg

AllenIsbell
02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_0704_zps6b4134df.jpg

AllenIsbell
02-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Just tested the water to make sure everything is going smooth.

So far, so good.

Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 10
Ammonia - 0
PH - 8.2
Salinity - 1.023

AllenIsbell
02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Got some decent shots of the Blenny

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_0722_zps497ffe30.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_0713_zpsd3f8d753.jpg

fishmommie
02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
the tank is really looking good, Allen. Love the photos and can't wait to see more.

AllenIsbell
02-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Thank you! I can't wait for this green and brown algae to subside.

AllenIsbell
02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Just started my Brine Shrimp hatchery project. They should be ready to go in 24 hours or so.

Strider199
02-25-2013, 12:58 AM
Salinity - 1.023

Thats a little on the low side Allen. I would slowly bring it up to 1.026.

Cliff
02-25-2013, 02:03 AM
+1 to the above

In the ocean at the average depth and temp where we find the fish and corals that we keep in the hobby, the average salinity is 1.026. That is why I always suggest keeping your salinity between 1.025 and 1.026. This will also help you to develope a more stable pH as well.

AllenIsbell
02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Thanks, guys. I will try topping off with saltwater and see where that takes me. I'm hoping to have a video update up tonight.

Strider199
02-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Great shots of that Blennie Allen. I love that family of fish.

AllenIsbell
02-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks!

I need to get a macro lens to get some better closeups.

AllenIsbell
02-28-2013, 01:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzhkiUd6Fzw

AllenIsbell
03-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Well. I don't know what happened, but I got a text from my girlfriend earlier today that my Banggai Cardinal had died.

He was fine yesterday. I noticed that he was swimming oddly this morning before work. I told Kimberly to keep an eye on him throughout the day, around 2pm I got the text.

My water parameters are fine.

Ammonia and Nitrites are 0ppm. Nitrates are 15-20ppm. SG is right on 1.025.

I was planning on doing a 25% water change, and still am.

I picked up a Starburst Polyp frag for yesterday. All of the polyps are open right now, so I'm assuming it's going to do fine.

Knightia
03-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Aren't they supposed to be kept in schools? I've seen them in the wild and they are never on their own.

Still, it is sad to lose one when your parameters are alright. What will you restock with?

AllenIsbell
03-01-2013, 11:32 PM
I based my purchase off of this:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/Cardinalfish/Bangaii.php

It says that it is safe in my tank by itself, so I couldn't argue.

I really would like to get another one, though.

Knightia
03-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Interesting. I've read a few care sheets now - yes they seem to suggest they pair off and unless you have a massive set-up are difficult to keep in groups due to aggression. I obviously based my assumption on swimming past a big group of them hanging around a reef. Perhaps not because they like each other that much :lol:

AllenIsbell
03-01-2013, 11:50 PM
I would love to get a pair of them and see if I could get them to breed, but it's just too hard to pair them up since it's hard to determine the sex at a younger age. I was unable to see the vents on mine to see if it was male or female.

I'm definitely getting another one. I will probably wait until next week.

Cliff
03-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Bangaiis truly do need hiding spots in the rocks. I noticed a very positive improvement in their behaviour after I had done that. You might want to re-scape your rocks to provide a big enough hiding spot for a adult to hide in as well. That is why most people to suggest a 30 gallon or larger tank for them

Knightia
03-02-2013, 12:10 AM
I look forward to the photos. I've read you should try to get tank bred specimens as their populations are devastated by harvesting for the pet trade in the wild.

AllenIsbell
03-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Bangaiis truly do need hiding spots in the rocks. I noticed a very positive improvement in their behaviour after I had done that. You might want to re-scape your rocks to provide a big enough hiding spot for a adult to hide in as well. That is why most people to suggest a 30 gallon or larger tank for them

I have two cave-like areas that had more than enough room for it. If that's not enough, I've got some thinking to do. I feel like my rockwork is as good as I am able to get it. Might have to buy new rock and get creative.

I look forward to the photos. I've read you should try to get tank bred specimens as their populations are devastated by harvesting for the pet trade in the wild.

I have no idea if it was tank raised or wild. I DO know that there is a breeder that lives close to me. I think I'm going to get one from him. The only downside is his prices are up there.

Cliff
03-02-2013, 01:09 AM
If you can not get tank bred fish, I always suggest MCA certified vendors as a very good second option.

Seeing as how bangiis are sooooooooooo easy to breed, you should be able to find some tank bred ones. Mine spawn about every 2 months and have for about 2 years

AllenIsbell
03-02-2013, 01:17 AM
I have never heard of an MCA certification. I will definitely look into that.

I heard that they are the Guppies of saltwater!

Thanks, Cliff!

Cliff
03-02-2013, 01:21 AM
The below link will help

http://www.aquariumcouncil.org/

All the non-tank bred fish I now buy are MCA certified. I like to support the process when ever I can

AllenIsbell
03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Thank you, Cliff. I will check that site out.

My Starburst Polyps seem to be doing fine. I read that they need to be in moderate to high flow zones. Here is a video of mine. Too much flow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDEmWEcwP5s&feature=youtu.be

AllenIsbell
03-04-2013, 10:52 PM
So, I walked in today and noticed that my water was extremely clear. Using RO/DI water has really helped clean things up. I wonder how long until this green algae goes away?

AllenIsbell
03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
New video update!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H7hPuhv-3c

AllenIsbell
03-11-2013, 11:28 PM
I think this thread is dead haha.

I have an idea. I am wanting to get rid of the HOB power filter, but I want to run my Chemi-Pure Elite. I am thinking about putting the CPE in the return chamber of my AquaC Remora protein skimmer.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would tie a piece of fishing line to it so I could get it out.

Suggestions?

Cliff
03-11-2013, 11:43 PM
The pre-filter assembly might work for that. The only risk would be if the media would slow down the flow into the skimmer. I might be worth a try if it won't cost a lot of money

I would keep the HOB tho. I would not want to give up that extra flow if it was my tank.

AllenIsbell
03-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Good point about the flow, Cliff. I might just grab another koralia power head, stick the carbon in the skimmer's return chamber, and see how it all pans out.

AllenIsbell
03-12-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure how this is going to work, but I am messing around with UStream. I am using my phone to live stream a shot of my tank.

Check it out if you're bored. It's 8:00pm here right now, and I will leave it on for an hour or so.

Here is the link.

http://ustre.am/V1pr

Cliff
03-12-2013, 12:12 AM
If you put the chemipure in the return chamber of the skimmer, I would suggest keeping a very very very close eye on it. If it slows down the flow or if it becomes clogged, your skimmer pump will still keep pumping forcing the water out of the cup an on to the floor. I know a guy would ended up empting half his tank when his HOB skimmer retrun became clogged. It cost him all of his SPS.

It might still be a better idea to put it in the prefilter box (assuming it fits and won't effect the flow)

AllenIsbell
03-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Ouch. Hmmm...

Maybe I will wait until I get the HOB refugium to go messing with stuff.

I have some odd looking algae on my sand. Maybe I should get an Emerald Crab to take care of it?

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_0913_zps70fc8f80.jpg

Cliff
03-12-2013, 02:26 AM
Looks like the beginnings of some type of macro algae

A Emerald or hermit crab should work nicely to clean that up.

Great idea with the refugium as well

AllenIsbell
04-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Looks like the beginnings of some type of macro algae

A Emerald or hermit crab should work nicely to clean that up.

Great idea with the refugium as well

Quick update: I did get an Emerald Crab. It took care of the algae on the sand. I also got a larger CUC. Including more snails and hermits, and a Serpent Star. I also picked up a Ocellaris Clownfish.

I will be streaming my tank via Ustream for a bit if anyone is interested. I am using my phone to do it, so it's not going to last all day. Heck, I may go out and buy an HD webcam to stream 24/7 with.

Here is the link:

http://ustre.am/V1pr

Enjoy!

AllenIsbell
04-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Checking back in with you guys.

I switched to using Red Sea salt because my LFS sells it already mixed @ 1.025sg for $1.25/gallon. I have read reviews where some people hate it, and some people love it. I did my first 20% water change with it, and have had no ill affects so far. Calcium is reading 420 without supplementing anything.

I seriously think my turbo snail has killed my Starburst Polyps. One day I saw him run over them. The next day a huge chunk of them were missing. Another day I saw him do it again. At that point, 75% of them were gone. Now there are only just a couple of polyps left, and they are super tiny. I doubt they will make it... All water parameters are fine, so I can't assume that the problem lies there. Especially since I watched the snail bulldoze right through the frag.

Yesterday I added a Blue-Green Chromis. Those fish look so cool to be a $6 fish. He is silvery if I am looking up at him, blue and silver if I am perpendicular to him, and gets a nice blue/green haze to him if I am looking down on him. I am working on getting some pictures, but the Chromis is still camera shy. I may sit my camera up on a tripod near the tank to get him used to it.

Everything else in the tank is doing great.

FINALLY, I got a proper ID of my urchin--Needle Urchin

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+530+3080&pcatid=3080

It was sold to me as a "Pencil Urchin." I later looked at pictures, and realized that it was definitely NOT a Pencil Urchin. I should probably tell the LFS that they are wrong.

I am starting to see Coralline algae on my filter return, intake, heater, and my powerhead. I hear that urchins eat Coralline, so I am working on giving mine away. I don't see him often, anyway. He comes out at night...and that's no fun.

I regret painting my back glass blue. I should have gone with black. I am debating on trying to find a rimless tank with the same perimeter dimensions as my tank to replace mine with. I couldn't tell until I got the tank filled with water, but it has a ton of small scratches that really make it look bad when you are up close. If I can't find a rimless tank, I'm going to just get a Deep Blue 20g.

I plan on upgrading my lighting to the Reefbreeder Value fixture. I know it's overkill, but the LED's are dimmable, so I'm not worried about it, and I have room to grow if I want to get a bigger tank.

If I get bored tomorrow, I will make a new video update. The tank is a lot more active, so if anyone wants me to do any live streaming, let me know and I will work out a time that I can do it. I use my phone...so the time-frame that I can stream is pretty narrow.

I hope everyone's tanks are doing great!

AllenIsbell
05-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Finally getting coralline algae on my rocks! I moved my powerhead really close to the rock that has coralline algae on it, and within one day I am seeing it pop up all over the rocks on the left side of the tank. I am going to add a 2nd powerhead that I had kicking around to the right side of the tank to help spread the coralline on that side, too.

I am moving at the end of July and I plan to make some changes during the move:

1. Start fresh with a brand new 20H tank. (My current tank has scratches everywhere...)
2. Take off the top trim. (Based off lots of research...it is safe on tanks that don't require a middle support.)
3. Paint the back black rather than blue. (Big mistake, but personal preference.
4a. Get a new bulb for my 65w PC fixture. (10,000k/420nm - -Don't know age of current bulb.)

OR

4b. Get the Reefbreeders Value LED fixture.

Once that is said and done, I will continue adding coral to the tank.

AllenIsbell
06-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Hello to all Youtubers, and welcome to yet another video brought to you by newyorkst... Just kidding. Love that guy.

Well, I have found my first "issue."

When I first got my Starburst Polyps, I say small "baby polyps" growing around them. I thought they were spreading. Oddly, the SBP starting to disappear. I saw a snail run over the frag, and I assumed that he was the issue.

That was back about a week after adding the SBP frag.

Now, I saw these "baby polyps" in a couple of different places on my rocks. Looking closely, I THINKit is Aiptasia. If it is, that would definitely explain why my SBP are so small and not spreading.

If it turns out to be Aiptasia, I'm getting a Peppermint Shrimp and letting it take control. I'm not going to reach in my tank to remove it...I'm not that worried about it right now. My main focus is to keep doing my water changes and maintaining the tank until we move at the end of next month. I can't wait!

New to come with the move: New Deep Blue tank (rimless conversion), and soon after, LED's!

The Coralline is growing like mad! Spots of it are everywhere!

Overall, I am extremely happy with my tank, even though it is ugly (to me, at least). Again, I hate the blue background, Hate the green on the rocks (slowly going away.) My water parameters are always great. Doing 10% water changes every week keeps my calcium over 420 at all times. Other than the initial cycle, I have not been able to trace any nitrates, nitrites, or ammonia in my tank. The rock and skimmer are doing their job wonderfully.

When I get the new tank, I am going to buy the Black Magic cling on window tint, and tint the back as dark as I can. I don't want to deal with painting another tank. I can double layer the tint if I need to.

I hope everyone's tanks are doing great!

Cliff
06-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Glad to hear the tank is doing well.

How big is the new tank going to be ? Sorry if you already stated that and I missed it

Just a word of warning on the peppermint shrimp, sometimes they will not eat any aiptasia. I tried four of them once and neither one of them when near the aiptasia. I had to get rid of the aiptasis the old fashion way, nuke them with a small blast of aiptasia destroyer.

AllenIsbell
06-05-2013, 12:37 AM
It's the same size tank, just the Deep Blue brand. Black silicone, rimless, and no scratches. Mine has tons of scratches and haze on it. I couldn't see it until the tank was already set up.

I hope the shrimp work for me!

Strider199
06-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Good choice going with the LED set-up. I love mine.
A scratched front glass would be awful. I have a couple of scratches from the substrate in mine. I wasn't careful enough when using my mag-float to clean the glass. Using something like Black Magic tint on the back of the tank gives you alot more control then painting it. I painted one of my tanks once, never again.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Well, I know it was a couple of months ago that you posted about having green algae issues, but I would be willing to be they will continue. You used play sand in your setup. Not a good idea at all. Play sand compacts way too much and is not suitable for marine tanks. Furthermore it is usually slammed full of phosphate. It may look good to start, and it may even look good for a few months, but in the long run, it will cause problems.

As for the shrimp, you have to know exactly what you are looking for. There are ~3 different kinds of shrimp that get labeled as "Peppermint Shrimp" but only 1 of them will eat Aiptasia. Lysnata californica is subtropical and does not eat Apitasia, Lysnata wurdemanni will eat Aiptasia and sometimes small polyps, and Shrimp of the Rhynchocinetes genus won't touch Aiptasia either but will irriatate your Zoanthids and other polyps enough that they won't spread much. All 3 of these get labeled as Peppermint Shrimp so getting the right one is imperative if you want Aiptasia cleaned up.

AllenIsbell
06-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Good choice going with the LED set-up. I love mine.
A scratched front glass would be awful. I have a couple of scratches from the substrate in mine. I wasn't careful enough when using my mag-float to clean the glass. Using something like Black Magic tint on the back of the tank gives you alot more control then painting it. I painted one of my tanks once, never again.

I can't wait to try out the LED's. I am sick of this PC light...

Well, I know it was a couple of months ago that you posted about having green algae issues, but I would be willing to be they will continue. You used play sand in your setup. Not a good idea at all. Play sand compacts way too much and is not suitable for marine tanks. Furthermore it is usually slammed full of phosphate. It may look good to start, and it may even look good for a few months, but in the long run, it will cause problems.

As for the shrimp, you have to know exactly what you are looking for. There are ~3 different kinds of shrimp that get labeled as "Peppermint Shrimp" but only 1 of them will eat Aiptasia. Lysnata californica is subtropical and does not eat Apitasia, Lysnata wurdemanni will eat Aiptasia and sometimes small polyps, and Shrimp of the Rhynchocinetes genus won't touch Aiptasia either but will irriatate your Zoanthids and other polyps enough that they won't spread much. All 3 of these get labeled as Peppermint Shrimp so getting the right one is imperative if you want Aiptasia cleaned up.

The green algae is going away pretty quickly now that the purple coralline has started spreading. When I move, I am going to change my sand, too. I am moving everything to bags and buckets, and trashing the tank and sand. I haven't made my mind up on what brand to get. Any suggestions would be great. I hope I don't lose any livestock if I get a mini-cycle...

Thank you for the tips on the shrimp!

Cliff
06-09-2013, 10:29 PM
If you keep your rock in SW the whole time and use new dry/dead sand in the new tank, you won't get a mini cycle. I've up-graded / moved tanks twice now with never a problem when I followed those two simple things. You can also add a bacteria supplement after the move if you are concerned.

Carib Sea makes some nice looking dry marine sand.

http://www.caribsea.com/itempage_marinesubstrate_dry.htm

I has used a black live sand sold by Carib Sea in my 180, but I washed it very well before using it so it was basically dead sand when I put it in the tank.

AllenIsbell
07-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the tips, Cliff. We are moving this weekend. I can't wait to get this tank re setup.

Honestly, I am disgusted with this tank at the moment. Red and green hair algae are showing up, and I think it is because my bulb is so old. There are air bubbles on the red algae, too. Any idea what that means? Is it typical?

I am going to keep the rocks in SW the whole time, but I am going to scrub the algae off, or attempt to, right before putting it back into the tank. I was planning on replacing the light fixture right when I moved, but we bought a new living room set--and that set me back a bit.

Livestock wise, the tank is doing great. I had a hermit crab die. Not sure why, but I just left it in there. Nitrates never budged beyond 0ppm. This tank has been GREAT as far as keeping itself stable goes. I have been 3 weeks on this water change, with no problems (other than algae, and that happened with weekly 20% changes).

Coralline has spread like mad. It is taking over most of the green algae, but I think the lights are promoting more green than purple right now. I am going to throw a new bulb in there to hold me over until I get the LEDs.

Are there any methods as to basically nuking live rock? The green algae isn't growing, it is actually receding very slowly. With that being said, could I take out a rock at a time and completely restore it back to white? That would give a fresh start. If I could do this every couple of weeks or so, one rock at a time, that would be amazing. The green is a HUGE eyesore.

I doubt I would create a mini-cycle considering how much rock:water I have. I have about 34lbs of liverock in there. Water displacement with the rocks, powerheads, 1" of sand probably puts me around 16 gallons if I had to guess. So, I am pretty much 2lbs/gallon+ as far as biological filtration goes.

Sorry for the book. Any input?

Cliff
07-15-2013, 10:58 PM
If you take your time and re-cure it in complete darkness, you will get rid of the algae and any trapped nitrates and/or phosphates that might be in the rocks helping the algae. You may have to complete a few water changes and you will have to keep the oxygen levels good A 5 gallon bucket with a lid and a small hole for a airline should work if you want to do this one rock at a time, and keep your BB alive.

More info below should you like additional details

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/curing-rock-for-marine-aquariums/

AllenIsbell
07-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Good info as always, Cliff. Thanks!

AllenIsbell
07-29-2013, 10:51 PM
New update video coming soon (hopefully tonight)!

I took a slightly different route with my tank, and I am EXTREMELY satisfied!

Morgan
07-30-2013, 05:36 AM
You give me hope that someday Ill be able to have a saltwater tank in my home, you did a great job!! :19:

AllenIsbell
07-31-2013, 03:34 AM
Thank you for the kind words!

Trust me, you can do it! Just do tons of research until you are comfortable with taking on the task. I studied for about 6 months before buying my first piece of equipment. You can learn it much quicker than that if you want, I just wasn't in a hurry. Let me tell you this, it is a lot easier than you may think.

I have made some nice changes to the tank, and I have a video rendering as I type this. It won't be uploaded until tomorrow (new house was only able to get 6mb/s DSL--I miss my 30mb/s cable!). I will post a link to the video on here as soon as it is up. Thanks!

AllenIsbell
08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Finally.

http://youtu.be/Kq1e3bVnd1w

I hope that link works. I'm on my phone.

Cliff
08-02-2013, 12:45 AM
I love the black substrate. I got the same stuff in my 180 and 120. That combined with the black background makes you tank look great.

Did you re-cure all your rock ?

After 3 days, I would think your are in the clear and should not see any mini spike.

AllenIsbell
08-02-2013, 02:50 AM
Thanks, Cliff! I am REALLY impressed with how it turned out.

I did not re-cure the rock. 95% of the green algae was gone, but I turned the rocks so that the spots that did have green algae are not directly exposed to light. I am going to skip buying a new bulb for this fixture, and go ahead and order my LED system. If the green comes back, I will cure the rocks.

I just noticed today that the SBP are coming back pretty quickly. I assumed they were all dead. It looks like they are getting bigger, and spreading more each day.

AllenIsbell
08-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Can someone ID these? They are only on and in my powerhead.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/1FF71562-EC15-41A0-8CA9-C7256103ECB2-10029-00000606CD3A9F8B_zpsda2f7aa0.jpg

Cliff
08-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Looks like pine apple sponges to me (or maybe another type of sponge)

AllenIsbell
08-11-2013, 08:15 PM
After comparing pictures of Pineapple Sponges to what I have in my tank, it appears that you are correct.

I guess I am just going to leave them there.

AllenIsbell
08-14-2013, 01:01 AM
Yay! My Reefbreeder Value fixture came in today!

This thing is ridiculously bright on 100%. It looks very well built, and (so far) I would recommend it to anyone.

I whipped up a (possibly temporary) hanger unit for the fixture with some things I had kicking around the garage.

Since this is a journal...

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/2AAF177A-EDA1-4A5A-BB22-E2C2DC6AE657-22184-00000D80D985C168_zpse006e68e.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/Iam99x/media/2AAF177A-EDA1-4A5A-BB22-E2C2DC6AE657-22184-00000D80D985C168_zpse006e68e.jpg.html)

I took an old L-Bracket shelf hanger, drilled some holes to where the center of the fixture would be, and painted it satin black with some Krylon Fusion. I cut a 1x4 down to 60" and stained it with some Rustoleum Kona (basically black) polyurethane. I hope it doesn't end up being glossy. If so, I may have to pull it off and put a coat of satin clear on it. Fingers crossed. I only had to stain about 24" of the wood--The rest will be out of sight.

I am going to have the fixture right around 7" over the top of the aquarium (which is around 7.5" from the water).

If anyone has any tips as to how high I should hang the light (it looked good where I measured 7" when I was holding it over the tank by hand), let me know.

Stay tuned for my unboxing, first impressions, and function test of the fixture. We are in the new house, as some of you may notice in the video.

INEEDCORALS!!!!!

AllenIsbell
08-14-2013, 12:02 PM
http://youtu.be/oo6fZlk3y6c

AllenIsbell
08-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Okay, I got the light mounted. The mount that I made looks really good, but I can't deal with the light flooding my entire living room. I am going to be building an open top canopy for the fixture. Not sure if I said that already...

Check this out... Last night I kept the LED's on the tank, sitting on the trim from front to back. I have it on the same timer as my old light. So, I come home today after work and take a look at the tank and quickly notice that all of my Starburst Polyps are open and HUGE! All this time I thought all but a couple polyps were eaten by something, or stuck by Aiptasia enough to be killed. Apparently they are enjoying the new lights!!!!!!

I will have the light comparison video up tomorrow if everything goes as planned.

AllenIsbell
08-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Light comparison video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x21bh3QsSB0&feature=youtu.be

AllenIsbell
08-19-2013, 10:53 PM
I picked up a couple frags yesterday. A GSP and a Kenya Tree. Within the hour, the GSP's were wide open and enjoying the new home. I'm not sure how to tell if a Kenya Tree is happy or not. Any tips?

Strider199
08-19-2013, 11:27 PM
The Kenya Tree will open and look like a real tree if it's in a good spot. If it doesn't like the light or current or water conditions it will get all balled up and really small. Don't worry if at lights out it goes small, mine does every night.
Some say that the Kenya Tree is a great coral to have in a tank because it will let you know if something is off with your water parameters. It will be the first to retract.
This is what mine looks like when it's happy.
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m559/Strider199/SAM_1166.jpg

That was a few months ago, today it's alot higher with more branches. These like medium current, medium lighting. Make sure it's not rubbing against another coral or rock when it's swaying in the current.

AllenIsbell
08-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Hey, Srider. Thanks for the reply! I didn't notice that anyone hit me back on here until just now.

My Kenya Tree is wide open every day, and loves the tank. I don't know the growth rate of the Kenya Tree, but it sure seems to be getting big fast. It is about the size of a golf ball during the day with the lights on.

My GSP's are doing great, too! They look so awesome under the actinic lights.

I will have to post some pictures soon! My tripod took a crap on me, so until I fix that, I'm not going to be shooting tank pictures.

I did do a test time-lapse of the GSP's opening up the other morning. It turned out pretty cool. It is awesome to watch them slowly open, one at a time. I am going to redo the time-lapse and post it up. I also plan on doing one for the Kenya Tree, as it doubles in size when it blooms.

Cliff
08-27-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the time lapse pics

Spardas
08-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Looking forward to seeing the update.

AllenIsbell
08-28-2013, 12:06 AM
I forgot to mention that I picked up a Peppermint Shrimp on the same day that I bought the frags to aide my Aiptasia problem.

3 days later my tank was Aiptasia free.

AllenIsbell
09-09-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't have an update, but I did get to watch the (rare?) occasion of my Blue Legged Hermit Crab swapping into a bigger shell, realizing he didn't like it, and swapping back to the original.

Not only did I get to watch it, but I got it on video! I will definitely upload it tonight. Has anyone else seen this happen? I know that mine has swapped shells before, but I have never got to see it.

Spardas
09-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Not very rare, you will see it more often as they grow and if you leave larger shells around for them. I have a hermit that I've kept for nearly 6 months and he grew from about 1 inch to a monstrous 5 inches......

If you have several hermits and not as many shells around, you will see them fight each other for the shell. It's quite interesting.

AllenIsbell
09-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Holy crap I couldn't imagine a 5" hermit crab in my little 20g. He would own the tank.

I have like 3 or 4 hermits right now, and I have had them take out a snail for a new shell. The shell in the video that I am uploading was one of my snail's.

AllenIsbell
09-10-2013, 04:20 AM
http://youtu.be/OuCiagcJQEs

I changed my style a bit with this video. What do you think about it? Excuse the footage quality. iPhone's wash out when capturing under LED's.

hockeyhead019
09-10-2013, 12:02 PM
really cool footage... love seeing cool things in the tank like that! Actually saw a hermit kill/eat one of my snails for its shell one time, that was pretty cool actually lol

AllenIsbell
09-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks! Yeah it is cool. I know it may seem inhumane to think things like that are cool, but don't the same things happen in nature? If you are trying to recreate nature, and you have hermits robbing shells from each other and from snails--You must be doing something right, right?

If a snail or hermit dies is you guys tanks, do you leave the corpse in the tank to be consumed? I have left snails, hermits, and my lawnmower blenny in the tank when they all died, and I never got a mini cycle or anything. I just didn't feed the tank for about 3 days. None of these died at the same time. I wouldn't risk leaving multiple corpses in there.

Spardas
09-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Generally speaking, if it's not something big that died or a massive die off of some sort, I let nature do the work inside the tank.

AllenIsbell
09-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Full setup shot:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_3113_zpsfcb5a453.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/Iam99x/media/DSC_3113_zpsfcb5a453.jpg.html)

GSP:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_3132_zpsbd2f0972.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/Iam99x/media/DSC_3132_zpsbd2f0972.jpg.html)

Elegant Moon Polyps:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/DSC_3110_zpsb1530885.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/Iam99x/media/DSC_3110_zpsb1530885.jpg.html)

AllenIsbell
10-15-2013, 01:32 AM
I'm probably going to get some hate from this, but I decided to add a canister filter to the equation.

After doing lots of research, I found that there is nothing wrong with running a canister filter on a reef aquarium. In fact, many people do it. Much more than I expected. I wanted something that I could put an in-line heater on, add water volume, add mechanical filtration, create surface agitation without having a hideous MJ600 in the tank, store more live rock, and house carbon and phosphate removal media. Since adding a sump isn't possible with this current stand, I went with the Fluval 405. Now, I got it for $10 from a friend, so I couldn't pass it up. I had been tossing around the idea of adding a canister, anyway. My only concern is that I may have trouble finding an in-line heater that is compatable with the Fluval style flex-hose. Any input on that would be great.

Bonus! Doing water changes is going to be super easy now, and MUCH less of a mess. I am simply going to disconnect the hose connector, carry the tub outside and dump it out. Well, dump out half of the water, wash the canister and rinse the live rock, then dump the rest of the water out. I am not using any other bio-media in the filter. Just a couple of sponges for mechanical cleaning. I will be taking turns rinsing one of the two sponges each water change.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/445E1F66-F7A1-4871-BB89-9DC8FADED236-24894-000012E1D47E840D_zps185d688a.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/Iam99x/media/445E1F66-F7A1-4871-BB89-9DC8FADED236-24894-000012E1D47E840D_zps185d688a.jpg.html)

madagascariensis
10-15-2013, 02:53 AM
I have no clue on saltwater, but why would it be objectionable to have a canister filter in a reef system?

Cliff
10-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Nothing wrong with using a canister filter when you also have live rock. You just have to be committed to the extra maintenance or you can easily get some increased nitrate levels. It all comes down to preference and effort sometimes

When I added a Hydor in-line heater to one of my set-ups, I have to use hose clamps to hold the hose to the filter as that ribbed plastic hose would not work with the connectors that came with the heater.

AllenIsbell
10-15-2013, 03:07 AM
I have no clue on saltwater, but why would it be objectionable to have a canister filter in a reef system?

Because most people believe that your nitrates should be 0ppm at all times in a reef aquarium, and canister filters harvest nitrates if not kept clean.

I have gone over 2 weeks without a water changed, and have never been able to detect any nitrates. Only calcium loss, which is to be expected. I will be testing every other day to keep track of the nitrates on the new setup.

Cliff, is there any way you can post a pic of the clamps you used for the Hydor In-Line heater? That is the one I was looking into getting.

Thanks!

Cliff
10-15-2013, 03:42 AM
Madagascariensis, just to add to the above, where most people object to using canister filters is were it will be the only biological filtration in the set-up. Due to routine filter maintenance, you will not allow the nitrate eating bacteria to grow as it is a lot slower growing than the ammonia or nitrite eating bacteria. When you have a good amount of live rock for your biological filtration, you will end up growing this bacteria naturally. If you complete weekly/by-weekly filter maintenance, you should aviod adding nitrates back into the water from the trapped stuff in the filter

Your corals and coralline algae still need a little nitrate to live. I like keeping mine no higher than 2ppm. Even natrial sea water in the coral reefs has at least some nitrate in it

Allan, I just used the standard stainless steel hose clamps that you buy at a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. They never get exposed to the water so you don't have to worry about the material type on this specific situation.

AllenIsbell
10-15-2013, 04:08 AM
Great clarification, Cliff. I have over 32lbs of live rock in my display, and I am going to fill up 2 of the trays in my canister with rubble rocks. I think I'm set considering I have (what I think to be) a small bio-load.

If you are referring to the worm-gear type water hose clamps, I have a ton of them kicking around.

Cliff
10-15-2013, 04:10 AM
Yup, those are the ones

Just be careful not to over tighten them

AllenIsbell
10-15-2013, 11:42 PM
My water is ridiculously crystal clear today. It has never looked this good. Ever. I can't stop looking at my tank haha.

Hey, Cliff. Would you recommend me any easy to care for, cheap, SPS? Lighting requirements probably won't be an issue.

Cliff
10-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Birdsnest (Seriatopora Hystrix) is just about the easiest SPS to grow in my experience. But they still are SPS and need a very stable dKH, Cal. and Mag.

AllenIsbell
11-12-2013, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I have a friend that has some Birdsnest. I may grab a frag when he frags it.

Nothing has changed on my tank. Just doing water changes, feeding, and topping off.

I will say that I LOVE doing water change with a canister filter. Unhook the hoses. Take the canister outside. Dump out half the water. Rinse and scrub the canister and contents. Dump out the other half of the water. Fill up the canister with new saltwater. Hook up the hoses. Done.

It used to take 30+ minutes taking buckets of water in and out. Now it takes 10 minutes tops.

Some say it is more work having a canister filter. I strongly disagree in my situation. I'm saving lot of time.

AllenIsbell
11-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Latest update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW5rd07RNNo

AllenIsbell
12-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Loads of interest!^

/sarcasm

Picked up a nice looking head of Frogspawn last night. I'm going to give it a few days to adjust before showing it. It appears to be doing just fine in my tank.

jeffs99dime
12-02-2013, 03:16 AM
It looks cool but the video blacks out after 2.14.

AllenIsbell
12-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Oops. Fixed!