PDA

View Full Version : Clown loach - behavior changes

Alyxandra
10-13-2007, 12:16 AM
My trio of clown loaches has suddenly changed their behavior. They've always been a little shy, hiding out most of the time in the back of the tank behind the plants and such but suddenly they're bedding down in the front of the tank and have started to chatter continuously. The clicking noise drove me nuts until I realized it was just them. Some of their behavior might not be new, since they may have just been doing it out of sight before, but the clicking is new. I know they're vocal fish, but these three have always been silent till now. There are no changes in the tank to explain it. Two of them are frequently "kissing" mouth to mouth with each other. I haven't seen the third loach participate in this.

Lady Hobbs
10-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Awesome. I have never heard my loaches clicking and had them over a year.

mines bigger
10-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Lady Hobbs, if you want to hear your loaches clicking just put in an apple snail just remove the shell and they will go nuts for it... they wont stop clicking until the whole snail is gone.

Pearl Trade
10-14-2007, 04:22 PM
my loaches click when i feed them. how long have you had them? could they have changed behavior becuase theyve gotten used to it

Lady Hobbs
10-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Well darn it. I want to hear mine. I had bala sharks for a period of time and you could hear them all thru the apartment when they got blood worms. Maybe my loaches just are excited about much I give them.

mitcore
10-21-2007, 04:36 AM
maybe they are happy in the tank now
relaxed enough to show themselves
i have never heard of the clicking noises
but then again my loaches dont seem to live
i wished they would

Alyxandra
10-25-2007, 02:00 AM
I hadn't thought that it might be that they've adjusted to the tank. I've had them for about 6 months now. Their behavior has changed even more since my original post. They seem to "dance" with each other. They'll bouce off one another and do a flip in the water. It's strange. And they're still "kissing" each other. They've also started to stick their mouths out of the water at feeding time (they didn't used to go to the top to eat, they'd just wait for the food to fall) and you can then hear the clicking through the whole house - it's LOUD. They're certainly fun to watch. Still shy though. They always hide when they see me moving around. I have to sneak up on them and hold very still. And then of course all the mollies (over 100 of them now, darn babies!) swarm over to beg.

Speaking of molly babies... I can't find anyone to take them once they've grown enough. No clue what I'll do with them! They're getting BIG and nobody else in the tank is eating them. Not even the newborns. You know it's bad when you actually want your fish eaten!

Anyway, I'd blame the behavior on the exploding population in the tank, but it started before the invasion.

Demjor19
10-25-2007, 02:38 PM
i have noticed the same w/ my four Clown Loaches. they used to always hide in a cocoa hut and would only come out at night. now that they've settled in i see them all the time! i have yet to hear them click though. that would be pretty cool!

aquarius56
11-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I think You're right and they might just be more comfortable so they're reverting to their natural behaviors. They are very shy at first and will hide every time you approach the tank. Mine are right at home now and they come out to greet me in the morning as soon as I turn the light on in the tank. I remember the first time I heard that clicking noise...I couldn't figure out what it was...lol...just amazing how loud it actually is. They're certainly entertaining little guys...I just luv em!!!