PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Clowns

spudbuds
10-01-2007, 05:07 AM
I have three clown loaches in my 55g tank. One of them comes out occasionally, but I never see the other two. After a couple of days of not seeing two of them, I decided to dig around in the tank a little to make sure they were still alive. I lifted one of my decorations and there was one of them. I have no idea how he got under there. I dug around a little more and never found the other one. Then all of sudden the other night I saw all three of them swimming all around the tank. Unfortunately, that was short lived and I can only find one again. From reading some of the other threads in this section, this appears normal. I bought these guys because I thought they would be a little more active and entertaining (not to mention they are nice looking fish). Now I'm a little bummed that they mostly hide. Is there anything I can do to make them interested in checking out the rest of the tank a little more regularly? I don't expect them to be in constant motion, but it would be nice to see them once in a while.

Oh, and I've only had them a week and a half. Are they still just getting used to the tank? Maybe their behavior will change after a while?

Thanks in advance for any info.
- Bill

Dave66
10-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Botia are absolute Houdinis when they want to; its part of their charm. If they appear healthy when you see them, I wouldn't worry. If you'd bought six instead of three, you'd see them more, as they like to school. They like to roll and tumble together.

Dave

Futureboy
10-01-2007, 05:45 AM
another thing with them is not to panic and get them out of the aquarium if you see them laying on things or in the corners of the tank

they sit in very strange positions some times

Pearl Trade
10-01-2007, 12:10 PM
one of the loaches i have now hides in the small space between the heater and the glass of the aquarium

YaYgoldFish
10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
They might ne hiding because their still a bit new and when you move around decorations it stresses them..

cocoa_pleco
10-01-2007, 02:37 PM
when they are new they hide. i bought my four a month ago and a week later theyre were all out, now they never hide

spudbuds
10-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll stop messing with them and see if that changes anything. If they like to hide, I suppose there isn't much I can do about it. At least I have an interesting story to tell anyone who sees my tank. :ssmile:

- Bill

Lady Hobbs
10-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Mine are out and about all the time. They really get going at night doing their waltzing across the tank and tumbling in the bubble wand.

spudbuds
10-02-2007, 02:57 AM
So, how many does everyone have? If they'd be happier with another one or two, that might be an option. I was considering getting some corydoras as well, but if I added more loaches, that might be too many bottom feeders. Thoughts?

Don't worry, I'll give them some time to let things settle in the tank before I go throwing more fish in.

Lady Hobbs
10-02-2007, 05:04 AM
Loaches are said to get huge so you may not want anymore. They live many, many years and they get a foot long. I started with 7. One got caught in a cave and died and another come up missing last week. I have no idea what I'll do with mine if they get that large.

Pearl Trade
10-02-2007, 12:04 PM
i bought three about 4 months ago and now i have two left. theyre very active at daytime and they do flips and things like that.

spudbuds
10-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Loaches are said to get huge so you may not want anymore. They live many, many years and they get a foot long. I started with 7. One got caught in a cave and died and another come up missing last week. I have no idea what I'll do with mine if they get that large.
Yeah, I read about their size after I got them, so I probably won't add anymore. I also have no idea what I'd do if they got that big, although it sounds like a great excuse to get a bigger tank (and a bigger house to hold it). :sbiggrin:

I was mostly curious if they would be happy with only three of them around. Sounds like they will eventually.

Thanks for all the great info. I'll continue to wait them out.

CAF
10-02-2007, 06:01 PM
I have 1 clown and 3 chocolate kuhli loaches that all hang out together doing the loach pile when the mood suits them.

Special-K
10-03-2007, 05:20 AM
when i bought 3 clowns in around 2001, they got themselves stuck in a decoration and died shortly after :/ I dont really blame you for wanting to find them though

spudbuds
10-03-2007, 06:12 AM
when i bought 3 clowns in around 2001, they got themselves stuck in a decoration and died shortly after :/ I dont really blame you for wanting to find them though
Yeah, I'm torn between making sure they aren't stuck and stressing them any further by digging around for them. It appears they are somehow getting underneath a rather large decoration and I'm concerned they won't be able to get out. I was looking around for them tonight and I noticed that in the back of the decoration, I don't have it covered with gravel very good, so they might be getting under there. I haven't seen two of them for a couple of days again, so tomorrow when I do my normal water change, I might try to get that decoration burried a little better, but again, I don't want to stress them too much.

I need to start another tank so I don't sit around wondering where all my fish are all the time. LOL! :sbiggrin:

spudbuds
10-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Just a quick update. I decided to fix the issue with the decoration last night. When I picked it up, I found one of my mollies dead under it, so it's probably a good thing I decided to fix it since it was obviously a problem. :ssad: Rookie mistake.

This morning when I checked the tank before work, two of the loaches were out swimming around. Not sure where the third one was, but I was pretty happy to see any activity out of them.

Thanks for all the advice. Of course, anymore advice is welcome.