· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default bottom feeder questions

0 Not allowed!
    I had no.clue till i came upon his site that there r difrent kinds of algie eaters!!
    Mine is black w some disturbing im watching you tiny black eyes. He? Has patterns too that are kinda animal printish.
    While we had these 3 huge mean fish he stayed hidden. He now comes out and sucks at diffrent items in the tank.
    Now that i have learned there are difrent kinds id like to know what he is.
    Also would it help to keep waste down natrually by adding poo eaters? Are there poo eaters? I had always thought that what catfish did eat poo.... but then who eats the cat fish poo?
    Gosh!! Trying vry hard to be a good fish mama!!
    130 gal tank
    2 Silver dollars?
    2 Black Convicts (1 female 1 male)
    1 Algie eater
    1 Parrot fish
    6 Goldfish
    and growing!!!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing eats poo. Poo is the stuff that is left over after everything of nutritional value has been extracted. Bottom feeders of any kind require a suitable diet of plant and/or animal matter, not poo. It is the responsibility of the aquarium owner to remove poo through gravel vacuuming and mechanical filtration before it pollutes the tank water.

As for your bottom feeder, we'll need a picture or a more technical description before we can make any kind of identification.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    curious - do you have a 130 tank or 1 - 30 gal tank? I hope it's the 130 as you have a LOT of large fish per your signature line.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 11-07-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its a giant 130 gal tank! Lol! We are so new at this! Just happened to be visiting some family and admiring their tanmk when they offered to sell it fish decor and all!! I did a quick google search and discovered the tank alone would coat close to a grand if not more brand new! So we jumped at the chance to get the whole deal for 300 bucks! We figured it was a once in a lifetime op.
    130 gal tank
    2 Silver dollars?
    1 Algie eater
    1 Parrot fish
    6 Goldfish
    and growing!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TLC
    Its a giant 130 gal tank! Lol! We are so new at this! Just happened to be visiting some family and admiring their tanmk when they offered to sell it fish decor and all!! I did a quick google search and discovered the tank alone would coat close to a grand if not more brand new! So we jumped at the chance to get the whole deal for 300 bucks! We figured it was a once in a lifetime op.
    great. And I wondered about the stocking list as you've got an interesting combo there. And yes, you got a great buy!

There are so many good articles here on the site about different kinds of fish, their profiles, compatibility, water perimeters, etc.

Also have to ask - do you have an API water test kit? You need to be checking your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates on a regular basis to insure your water quality is good and the fish stay healthy.

How about water changes? What is your schedule? Most here change 50% of the water on a weekly basis. Did your friends also provide water conditioner?

You might want to list what kind of equipment and supplies you have and again, let us know your maintenance schedule so we can help in the event we see something problematic. I know when I started this hobby, I had no idea there was some much involved.
    In the meantime, you've definitely come to the right place. Someone here will have answers to your questions.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok up dated profile fishmommie. And jan i seriously always thought bottom feeders ate poo!! Lol! No cats here though! Our dog thinks they r squeak toys!!
    130 gal tank
    2 Silver dollars?
    1 Algie eater
    1 Parrot fish
    6 Goldfish
    and growing!!!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TLC
    Also would it help to keep waste down natrually by adding poo eaters?
    Thank you TLC, I needed a laugh today. Hey do you have a cat? My dog Toby thinks the clumps in our cat's litter box are treats. You know when he's been munching on them (and our kids have not taken care of the box yet) when he comes over to you with his snout covered with litter.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 6 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, 2 assassin snails.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project