· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Rubber Lipped vs. Gold Nugget Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    In the near future (hopefully - depending on finances) I'm looking at getting a Pleco. I only have a 25 gallon tank so I should go with one that does not grow to big.

There's two Pleco's I'm currently researching; Rubber Lipped and Gold Nugget.

Besides what I've researched (can only get some much info from a document) I wanted to get some personal experience from you guys on either (if anyone has or had both - even better). Pros/Cons, food diet, behaviors, etc. Also include your tank size, decor, other fish stock.

I'm personally leaning towards the rubber lipped, currently.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a gold nugget pleco, one of the nicest looking fish I own. They can grow big but estimates are very foggy, some say max 8 others 16. I think the reason for this is that they are very similar to Royal plecos in the fact that they will take 16+ years to mature to full size.

Eating wise they are easily fed, cucumber/courgette/aubergine/carrot/potato . . . Get the drift?

I love mines to bits!

For a 25G though stick with ruberlip or even a clown pleco?
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info. I had thought the clown grew big, I guess I'll take the Gold Nugget off the table and replace with Clown. Ok so now asking personal experience for Rubber Lipped or Clown Pleco.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Well I have some clown plecos

Eat the exact same as the Gold Nugget, they do require real wood in the tank to gnaw on. To get best out of them have at least 3 or more pieces of wood. Stay relatively small, I've not seen one larger than 4 inch

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again. Currently don't have any wood pieces, what kind should I get?
    25 Gal - Tropical

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Mines have pretty basic bogwood, my other tank has mopani wood