· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1
    Can't go wrong with Harlequins, always keep them in a big group.

Yeah I plan to do 10, maybe 12 since they are small and I'll be over filtering anyway. How about the blue rams? Will they play nice with the Harlequin Rasboras? They are different level swimmers correct?

Thanks!
    -Scott

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes the Rams will stay near the bottom and the harleys at the top. Rams are peaceful almost shy which is why the harleys make good dither fish.

The only time the Rans get aggessive is when they are spawning.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok cool! Thanks :)

Now the only other question would be if it would be suggested to add any additional fish to the tank? Or if the amount I've said it about the most it could handle in that size tank?.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So random input. I did the calculation on the mainland 27 gallon cube. Online its dimensions are 20x18x20 (inches) and that actually adds up to 31 gallons. So I get a few extra! Hehe. I'm hoping for the filter and or heater for Xmas. And I'll be buying the tank, stand, and lights sometime after the first of the year. Lots of planning time!

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds great, and very sensible.

You could also consider something like Otocinclus to help keep some forms of algae at bay. Best to add later as they need something to feed on and are quite sensitive. Best kept in a proper school. I have 10 in my tank and they are lovely (but shy) and do a great job on algae. I've not cleaned the glass since getting them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those ARE very nice looking fish!!

I was actually considering, after doing some looking about last night, adding about 6 zebra loaches to the list. The only doubts I had are that they are semi-aggressive, but in doing research, it seem it's very rare they show aggression, and when they do, they only are aggressive within their own species, and normally only when kept in too small of a school, like 3 or less.

What do you think? They are said to eat a lot of the particulate that gets dropped, and basically clean up the tank from anything that the top dwellers miss. But if they don't do anything for algae, you suggestion of the otocinclus is probably better, since they will likely eat missed food, and algae.

Another reason the zebra loach was attractive (aside from being a beautiful fish) is that from what I've seen, they stick to the bottom normally, but will often times swim to the top and play and what not.

Thoughts?
    -Scott

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Zebra loaches are awesome, but can be bullies at night. They should be less territorial in a proper group though so you might be ok but I wouldn't keep them with any other bottom dwellers. As individuals have their own personality you can get the odd bad egg in the group. I'm not sure they'll do anything for algae but they do like to forage...like catfish.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll probably go with the catfish actually, now that you've mentioned it. Couple reasons, they are pretty, they will help me clean the sand and the glass, I can have a school, and they will be friendly towards other fish in the tank.

I am pretty convinced that I do want the tank to be planted, with low light, easy to maintain plants. Now it's just a matter of gathering the necessary stuff for it! I'll probably begin a new thread in the beginner freshwater section, since it gets more traffic, and will make it a build thread.

Time to start making lists of everything I need and want, so that I don't forget something! Also planning to put a siphon with a ball valve on it, and a long length of clear PVC tubing that I can just run from the tank to the sink, get the siphon going once, and I imagine it will remain primed for good. Set it at the right height for a 50% water change and I think it will make general weekly changes easy, with monthly deep cleans into the sand and what not!!

Getting excited now!!

-Scott

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just tossing this out there. Never DREAMED I'd suggest something like this but ... the other day I was in a dr's waiting room. they had an octagonal cube that looked to be around 28 gallons. inside was a light sand bottom, black background and it was FULL of nothing but bright orange platies. adults, babies, in between - 'cause you know those platies are going to reproduce like rabbits. Anyway, there was one big leafy fern in the center of it all and the fish were swimming in and out of it and all around it.
    Honest to God, it was stunning. Platies. Who'd a thunk it.

Of course, someone would have to go in there and scoop out the overage when it got too full but a LFS might take them. Anyway, just a thought. it was so pretty it made me want one.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That does sound quite nice!! I'll have to ask some of the LFS around here if they will take fish or not from private sources... On that note, I'll be doing that anyway, as I here the GBRs that I'd like a pair of can be.... baby factories lol

Now I figure I'll likely have enough other stuff in there that they eggs and fry will probably get eaten before they have a chance to grow, so I'm not overly concerned, but in case that doesn't happen, I'd like to know I will have somewhere to take fish.

Can't imagine why a fish store wouldn't want a bunch of free GBRs hehe

-Scott