Hey everyone! Just got started on the forum here. Planning a new tank setup, and looking for LOTS of information. I want to do my FW setup right this time, I want to know more of what I am doing.

My history-
I tried a FW tank many moons ago, when I was a lot less knowledgeable about how it all works. Needless to say that ended poorly.

After that I waited a while, and started up a reef tank. That went much better, everything was working fine, but I had to move, and in the process of the move, it ended up crashing the tank, and I just didn't have the money at the time to revive it.

So now here I am, I want to do freshwater again, and I want to do it right. Here's what I have in mind so far. Looking at a Marineland 27 gallon cube set they have at the local big name pet store. Comes with tank, stand, and an LED light system for it.

For heating and filtration, I was looking at doing the Fluval 206 canister, with a Hydor in-line heater. After some research, looks like some minor modification will need to be done for the hose between the filter and the heater, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I honestly have not decided on a stocking list yet. I know with a tank this size, I'm looking at smaller fish obviously. I'd love to do cichlids, but I don't think this tank is quite large enough for them when they are fully grown, so I'm looking more at tetras and others around that size.

What are some other good options for a tank this size? The dimensions are 20"w x 18"d x 20"h.

I'm not looking at doing a planted tank (even though I really would love to!!) just because I want to keep things simple for now. Substrate suggestions would be helpful too, I don't like the appearance of the colored gravel they sell in the stores.

Thanks for any information you have! Tips, suggestions, other equipment need, and livestock help are all appreciated! I am at the very beginning of my research for this tank!

Thanks!
-Scott