· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Fishless cycle-ammonia questions

0 Not allowed!
    So Ive had my tank fishless for a couple weeks now since my "devils ich attack episode" Heat cranked up to 84, to speed up the lifecycle ect.

I tested my water today just to see where it was at with some tetra easy strips.

nitrate-20 ppm
    nitrite-5 ppm
    ammonia -0

I didnt add ammonia from the get go, just let the tank run.

I went to petsmart today to look for ammonia additives and couldnt find anything that added ammonia to the tank but, that reduced it? Anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

What dosages should i be using of it? (i have a 55 gal freshwater, no fish)

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on where you are, some hardware stores like Ace hardware or grocery stores like A&P or Safeway will carry pure ammonia in with their cleaning supplies. Just make sure it's pure ammonia with no additives or cents added to it. If you shake the bottle a lot, there should be very little bubble produced by it.

You will need to add a little ammonia (like 1/2 to 1/4 oz), wait 1/2 hour, test the parameters, and add again if required. Once you get to the ppm level that you want, you will then know how much to dose your tank. There is no actual set amount as all manufactures have different concentrates requiring more or less than other brands
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Links below Cliffs signature and mine, as well, should help. Fish stores do not carry ammonia and half of them have never heard of cycling with anything but fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia is not an additive. It's ammonia. Comes in a bottle for about a $1. Some Dollar Stores carry it, ACE Hardware.....etc. Cliff has now told you the same thing that was said to you in October.