· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I'm aware he'll probably destroy the tank when he gets older. I'll just have to deal with it if he does decide to rearrange!

I've kept Congos before and found them quite awful, nipped my other fish quite badly and also very expensive. I like Tiger Barbs a lot though and at only $4 each they're an affordable option! I've looked at Bleeding Hearts and Colombians and I like them very much but they are about $18 each so they will probably be unrealistic, same with Rainbowfish.

About the cichlid idea, am I more likely to have aggression problems if I mix Severums with different cichlids or if I keep multiple severums? I have been reading on various websites and apparently it is quite difficult to get severums to pair up so would it be an option to just keep 3-ish non-paired severums? I have read that they do well in groups, and if a pair happened to develop I could rehome the spare(s).

"From my experience with severums they are best kept in groups. Four is a good number, but at least two. They have a fairly mild temperment and are rarely aggressive unless they are defending they're territory or are in spawn. Green and gold varieties can be kept together without any issues. If you plan to keep severums be very careful if you plan to add other cichlids (South/Central American) to your tank. Most of the South Americans with eventually push them around if they are close in size or larger.

As far as being a community fish, well, it's rolling the dice a little bit. It depends. I have had severums mixed with silver dollars, bala sharks, pacu, and most bottom feeders. Keep in mind, they are a cichlid after all. When it comes down to it, anything that's large enough to fit in they're mouths will probably get plenty of attention from them."
    Found this on a google search. I'm sure people will chime in about it's accuracy, but it leads me to believe that severums are best kept with other severums over any other type of cichlid.

0 Not allowed!
    As for the quote, My severum will literally fight me if I'm rearranging his hardscape. He can be quite nasty about his home, but is otherwise docile. Just very, VERY hungry constantly. If you're interested in the group of sevs, I would suggest 1 male:2 females, and definitely rehome the spare if a pair does form. Honestly it seems to me that if a group matures together, a pair is likely to form but I've no experience in that area. OH, BTW I have just found a new tankmate for my severum! I will be getting a few firemouth to throw in with him(2-3).
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Northerly! You've been very helpful. Unfortunately, about the 1m:2f recommended ratio, I know it's quite hard to sex severums, especially ones so small like what I have available in my area. Been thinking more about it and I might just add a couple more baby severums until I have 3-4 and see how things develop from there.

How fast does/did your severum grow?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps it's because my gold sev is still a juvie - he's about 3 inches - but he's a very mellow fellow. I have him in a larger tank (a 90) with blood parrots and an angel as well as congo tetras in the mix,and so far it's really good. the sev pals around with one of the BP.
    Hoping my congos don't get nippy but so far, they're behaving themselves and they are adults with only a little more growing to do.

If I hadn't gotten the congos, however, I'd have opted for Colombian tetras. Nice, robust, peaceful fish. the ones in my 30 are approaching 2 1/2 inches but suspect they've topped out
    If you'd like to see a video of the tank in motion, just click on my journal in my sig line. The video is on page 19.

Your tank is gorgeous, by the way!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    That's a wonderful tank Mommie! Your severum is gorgeous. :) I've browsed through your journal once or twice before and I've always liked your tanks. I'm sure your congos will be fine, although I'd keep a close eye on the angel. Mine only seemed to hate smaller fish than themselves such as my baby BNs and cories. :(

0 Not allowed!
    I got him at about an inch, and 2 and half years later (give or take) he is just now at about 6.5-7 inches

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    Been thinking more about it and I might just add a couple more baby severums until I have 3-4 and see how things develop from there.

Sounds like a good plan to me, could even add a few more since they are very small. You would DEFINITELY have to remove some very soon though so I'd suggest just sticking with 3-4. Could work for a year or so, they are sexable at 3-4 inches IMO, some people have a harder time telling.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    That's a wonderful tank Mommie! Your severum is gorgeous. :) I've browsed through your journal once or twice before and I've always liked your tanks. I'm sure your congos will be fine, although I'd keep a close eye on the angel. Mine only seemed to hate smaller fish than themselves such as my baby BNs and cories. :(
    thanks. only mentioned it because i thought you might enjoy seeing the sev with the BP's. they really do pal around together. will be eager to see photos when you're done
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE!

Today I took my oscar in to the LFS and came back home with 3 more small golden severums. One came out of a gold x super red batch so I'm HOPING he turns out to be red as he grows. He has a couple of dark orange dots on his face so, here's hoping!

Will update photos to my journal tomorrow. They're all feeling a little camera shy at the moment.

0 Not allowed!
    That's awesome:) cant wait to see how he looks when he's matured a bit. Good luck with your tank, and good luck getting a pair going.