· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Arrow 65g Severum Tank Options

0 Not allowed!
    [ sorry for posting this in the wrong forum, but I never get any replies otherwise ]

So, I rang my LFS and surprisingly they said they would be willing to give me store credit for my baby oscar. :) Yay. They don't want the common pleco I also got dumped with though, so I'll have to try and pawn that off to someone. Poos.

Anyway, this leaves me now with one teeny 5cm golden severum all alone in a 65g tank!

I want to do an South American themed tank. Looking at maybe a Chocolate Raphael Doradid or some BN Plecs for the bottom of the tank. I'm unsure whether Raphael's like to be kept alone or with other Raphaels. I wouldn't mind a school of dithers if they would work, such as TBs or Rosy Barbs (even though they aren't SA), or maybe Black Skirt Tetras.

Other fish I may be interested in are Parrotfish (although these are insanely expensive), Sajica Cichlids or Convicts (although I hear you aren't meant to mix these in case of cross-breeding?). Also open to other suggestions.

My other, probably prefered, idea would be to have multiple severums and nothing else in the tank (except maybe some BNs or dithers of some sort if they "fit"), although I'm not sure IF this is possible in a 65 or how many. I have read that 55g is the minimum for a mated pair, and I have also read that severums do best with other severums. I would love to be able to have a mated pair -- how much would this limit my stocking options?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your help. I have plenty of experience and confidence stocking a planted community tank but I'm definitely a beginner with keeping a cichlid tank -- there is so much more you need to keep in mind with cichlids. I look forward to your suggestions!

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Don't you just love it when you start a thread that you think is interesting and nobody responds to it? Kind of like you already said.

Anyway for your dither fish, if I may, don't get black skirts, they just get big and thier colors fade (to grey) as they get older. I would get Columbians or Bleeding Hearts (don't see them disscused alot here). They both can take care of themselves, get big but get more colorful the bigger they get.

The only other cichlid I've heard of that have your sevrums disposistion is the keyhole cichlid but their still a cichlid:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Keyholes are very cute but I wouldn't want them getting picked on.

I LOVE Bleeding Hearts! But at $18 apiece I'll have to pass. I think Columbians are about $8 compared to Skirts at $3.50. I know the Skirts go grey when they get older, it's pretty offputting since it's the jet black skirt which makes them so striking. :(

LOL nobody ever responds to my threads. :(

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I know what you mean, especially when I first joined. I think thats why I see so many new members hang out for awile then you never hear from them again.

Again on those prices I feel bad telling you I can buy 10 bleeding hearts for $25.00. How about Rosy's? They don't get as big as the heart's but are just as colorfull or more.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

0 Not allowed!
    Hm, I'll have a look at Rosies! I know we get them here but not sure on price. Do you think they'd be big enough to avoid attention from a Severum?

I'm looking at Rosy Barbs too, they're quite pretty.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Rosy Tetra's get 1.7" so there not small. There are some good video's on you tube showing Rosy's with bigger fish. Rosy Barbs are indeed atrractive.
    -Vince Lombardi

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When you say parrot fish, do you mean hoplarchus psittacus?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    My other, probably prefered, idea would be to have multiple severums and nothing else in the tank (except maybe some BNs or dithers of some sort if they "fit"), although I'm not sure IF this is possible in a 65 or how many. I have read that 55g is the minimum for a mated pair, and I have also read that severums do best with other severums. I would love to be able to have a mated pair -- how much would this limit my stocking options?

My research on this exact subject has led me to believe that a mated pair IS possible in a 65g. This would actually completely eliminate any and all tankmates aside from the smaller species of pleco(Clown pleco, l-148, emperor, etc.). I'd say you'd be fine with 3-4 plecos given the proper amount of hiding places and depending on how much driftwood and plants you have. Also I've come to the conclusion you could probably do the severum with maybe a pair-trio of rams. Again, with hiding places and plants.

Also I'd like to add that I've had a severum eat everything smaller than a platy in a tank so.. be careful. Oh and I had a maingano fry that I was trying to feed to him escape once and survive for a really long time before i caught him. So something that is much faster than the big lumbering severums would probably do ok, but i think they're beautiful enough on their own:)
    Last edited by Northerly; 11-05-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Rocksor: No, I meant Blood Parrots. Sorry, should have been more specific. I didn't even know there was another freshwater parrotfish!

Northerly: Thanks, that's great advice! I see you have 65g Severum tank so you're the perfect person to help me with stocking. What do you currently keep with yours? Do you keep other cichlids with it?

Okay, with your advice I will probably reduce the choices down to one of two options pending the advice I recieve about keeping a severum with other smaller SA/CA cichlids in a 4ft tank. I don't really want Rams as I'm getting them for my 45g. Keyholes, Festivums, Blue Acaras, Convicts, Sajicas or Blood Parrots I might be interested in though.

Failing the cichlid idea, option 1:

A breeding pair of Golden Severums and a couple of BN Plecs OR a syno cat or raphael cat or something if he'd be happy with the couple..

Or option 2:

One Golden Severum, a large schooler such as Tiger Barbs and some BN Plecs or syno/raphael cat.

0 Not allowed!
    My 65g is 36x18, I assume yours is something close to 48x12? You could possibly get away with alot more than what I could given that extra footprint space. I would still suggest the breeding pair though:p Failing that, maybe some festivums would be nice!

EDIT: Should you choose to put in a catfish, Syno cats are BEAUTIFUL. Especially a school of Synodontis Multipunctatus. You will hear people say that you never see these fish, But in a school of 5-6, you rarely DON'T see them lol. Highly recommended, even with the different water parameter requirements, they might fit in well.
    Last edited by Northerly; 11-06-2012 at 02:18 AM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.