· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Losing Platy Fry~

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 10 gallon fry tank that has been set up for almost 3 months and I started it with seeded media from another tank. There is was about 20-25 platy fry and {3 molly fry (which i added this past Thursday)} in the tank. Ages ranging from 1 month to 3 months. I do partial water changes every other day. I feed them 3 times a day with Hikari First Bites. The heater is set at 78 degrees but stays between 78-80 degrees. The tank is bare bottom and has a few fake plants and 2 live moss balls. The filter is a AC20. I leave the lights on for about 8 hrs a day. Recently tested and 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 5ppm nitrates, 8.0 pH.

I performed a pwc yesterday. Today I was watching them making sure everything is going okay and notice a dead fry....then another one! So I remove everything except the fry and perform another pwc removing the total of 11 dead fry :O This has never happened to me before! Sure every now and then there might be 1 dead fry during a pwc, but I thought that was normal. I read somewhere that they all don't make it so 1 or 2 doesn't worry me~~~but 11 in less than 24hrs worries me... :'(

Any thoughts?
    I Love My Fish

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is normal for some to die, like you said. Do you know if you have copper pipes? I know for shrimp it isn't good to use water that has been sitting in the copper pipes. You run the water for a bit to get fresher water.

Fry are sensitive and this could be a possible cause. All that I can think of.

What are you feeding them?

On a side note, a great plant for fry is guppy grass. I use it in my Endler tanks. I've seen a good increase in fry survival since adding guppy grass. It is also extremely easy to grow.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I usually fill my jugs up from outside i turn on the water and let it run a few minutes then rinse out the jug then fill and treat.

I am feeding them Hikari First Bites. I can't find any baby brine shrimp at my LFS's.
    I Love My Fish

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is there any possibility that something got contaminated? Everything sounds pretty good in your tank. Firstbites is fine, I've never fed my livebearer fry BBS. You can also feed crushed flakes.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only thing that changed was adding the 3 molly fry Thursday. And all three of them were very energetic, perky, eating great.
    I Love My Fish

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A three month old platy fry has got some substantial size to it... its weird that 11 of them just died. Seems like something went seriously wrong in the last WC.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well it wasn't the 2 almost 3 month old fry. It was a mixture of the 1 and 2 month old fry. I know it has me very upset and worried. I did the same thing I always do in my pwc's. I found 4 more today which means a total of 15.

The only thing that I can consider in my mind is the 3 molly fry. My LFS gave them to me. When I shop at the LFS a lot of the time I go by the fish wall and look at their platy tanks. Well this past thursday they had platy and balloon mollies in the tank and there in the middle of the tank were about 8 to 10 fry. The salesperson said they are required to feed the fry to the oscar's but she didnt have the heart too. So maybe the fry were infected and didnt show any signs. But they are still alive and as far as i can tell fine.
    Last edited by simplykayla76; 09-10-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    I Love My Fish

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would a 100% wc help? I usually do a 20% pwc and today since i keep losing them did a 50% pwc.

Im expecting another batch any day now and with this happening im not sure if the new batch should be put in my fry tank. If i leave them in the mom tank they wont make it.
    I Love My Fish

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well maybe i shouldn't. With me doing a 20% Friday , a 20% Saturday and a 50% today i already basically did a 100% WC.

Why did this have to happen :'((
    I Love My Fish

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a theory. I could be wrong, but I could be right. The way you do your water changes caught my eye and got me wondering. You said that you fill your jugs from the tap outside, and you do a 20% water change every other day. The water from the tap is cold, and some fry can be super sensitive to sudden drops and rises in temperature. I'm wondering if this could be the problem. You could try warming the water a little before adding it to the tank, or you could try doing 10% water changes instead of 20% water changes to try and reduce the amount of temperature change.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark