· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Job at PetSmart

Default Job at PetSmart

0 Not allowed!
    I applied for a job at PetSmart today, For two reasons. The first reason is that the store is new, and the aquarium section is beautiful. I feel it is my obligation to the fish to keep it this way:p. Second, I think that the best way to solve a problem is to do it yourself! I believe the information, experience, cleanliness, etc. I could bring to the fish section at PetSmart would be a significant contribution to turning the store around. At least this one. After all, one of the main reasons PetSmart has a bad rep is because of the senseless and useless advice given to the customers by employees. Now I am no expert, but i am definitely informed as far as aquarium maintenance and things like that go. I would actually change the water on the filtration systems:p I also don't recommend keeping a whale shark in a 10g:p LOL. I have only just applied, and don't believe in early celebrations. But should I get the job, what are some articles, writeups, etc. that i could use to brush up a bit?

I know how to cycle a tank but I'm foggy on some things, like the following:
    What comes first, nitrites or nitrates?
    How often/how much to dose as far as ammonia is concerned? (fishless)

And also what are some other just general things you guys believe I should brush up on? (FAQs, for example)

Also, what do you guys think about a job at petsmart?:) I honestly would be very happy to get a job there, I believe I could really contribute and be doing something that I love.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Brush up on the Cycling with and Without fish articles by Lady Hobbs first and foremost. Also i would if I were you, look at stickied articles regarding certain types/families of fish in the sections on this site.

Any knowledge you can bring to the customer without overwhelming them will be a plus. Take what you learn in these articles and then think of ways to simplify it so that the point gets across while not being too filled with words that the customer may not know yet.

I'm sure others will offer more insight here, but my personal bit of advice which many forum members brought to my attention and I have corrected...

1. a 2 gallon tank is way too small for a Betta fish, go with at minimum a four gallon but that four gallon can only hold the betta.

2. Ghost shrimp cannot survive in a two gallon especially if it has a strong current, they are too fragile. The current on the fluval spec was on the slow setting, but it was still too strong for the shrimp. (resulting in me taking down the two gallon and i will be giving it and the mossball in it to a friend of mine)

Thanks to the knowledge provided to me on this forum from the many helpful members, i've corrected the above issues as the betta from the two gallon is now in a four gallon tank. Also i was able to make black backings out of black garbage bag pieces for both aquariums thanks to another suggestion (that and the black vinyl electrical tape to fasten them with that my dad put in my toolbox.)

Hope this helps.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest reading though the fish cycle and cycling with fish threads here and knowing them like the back of your hand. Your likely going to run into situations were those two processes will come in handy for your customers.

Next would be know how big fish get and fish compatability to help customers make better stocking choices

You will also have to keep in mind some people can be just plain pig-headed and won't listen to you no matter what you suggest. I'm not too sure what to suggest there, but you'll most likely have to handle that situtaion following your bosses guidelines.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    The stickies in the beginner freshwater subforum here will go far in the brushing up category. There are ones on fishless cycling and fish-in cycling for the customers who can't be swayed or come in with one already started.

Good luck!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, when we're all thinking the same thing in posting the replies here, that has to mean we're either all psychic, on the save wavelength, or stuck in the matrix...

Really hope it's not number three...lol
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    You will also have to keep in mind some people can be just plain pig-headed and won't listen to you no matter what you suggest. I'm not too sure what to suggest there, but you'll most likely have to handle that situtaion following your bosses guidelines.
    I had thought of this, and I guess at this point all I can do is give the customer what they want. This, of course, will only be taken to a certain extent. I wont sell someone with a 10 gallon tank in their cart 5 goldfish and an oscar.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Allecto
    customers who can't be swayed or come in with one already started.
    Hope I'll be able to convince them to do 50% daily water-changes on their 10g with the whale shark while it's cycling:p

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    I wont sell someone with a 10 gallon tank in their cart 5 goldfish and an oscar.
    I hope your boss is reasonable and concerned about the animals enough to afford you that luxury. Otherwise, you might be looking for a new job.

Plus, never forget, customers will lie through their teeth.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and the customer will try the 'customer is always right routine' especially if it's for their kids lol.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats and Petsmart is lucky to have someone with your attitude! Best of luck and enjoy the work. As for any job, do the best you can so both you and the company succeed. The single best advice to give a true novice is to find out if they need a dechlorinator and if so, see that they get enough for a number of water changes and that they then know how to use it properly.
    Last edited by Cermet; 11-04-2012 at 10:16 PM.