· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tankmates

1. Smile Tankmates

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 3 harly's, 5 black neons, 1 zebra loach, and 3 boesmanni rainbows in my 30 gallon freshwater community. I do weekly water changes, and the ph is kept steady at 7.8. The tank is moderately planted with good cover. My plant will grow very much in the next 3 months, and although I'm not sure what kind of plant it is, I've had it for 2 years and its growth has been tremendous. I've kept propagating its growth, but I've recently changed my tank decor arrangement and will let it grow out a little more than usual.

I'm looking to add more fish to the tank. Which school should I add to? I'd like to add more neons and harly's, but my zebra laoch only comes out of his cave for food, whether it be flakes or brine shrimp, and it would be cool to have him swimming about. I've wondered why he stays in there, because he is the dominant fish in the tank. It must be because he has no school, but if he gets a school of his own, I'm nervous they will nip the characins, as this solitary one does occasionally when they get between him and his food. What does everyone think?

ps.- Adding more rainbows is, of course, out of the question.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    I hate to say this but I don't think you should have any boesemanis in a tank that size, it simply isn't big enough, and those fish should be in larger numbers ideally.

Can you take the rainbowfish back to your LFS and up your other schools of rasbora and tetra to 10-15 each? The neons might not thrive at 7.8pH but it does depend on how acclimated they are to alkaline water I suppose, some can be bred in it and will fair better.

In my experience, zebra loaches can become problematic with night-time predation. I lost a tetra school to a boistrous loach in the past and I'm not confident that I'd ever be happy keeping them together again.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice. The people at my lfs thought the boesmans would be fine though, even though I questioned them thoroughly and was skeptical. In the end though, i gave in and bought them ecause I WANTED to believe they'd thrive. I'll do more researh on the predicament, whether there is any chance of salvaging my situation.
    As for the loaches, I guess i'll stick with the one if muliple of them could cause problems.
    Thanks again.
    Journals Here

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've never kept this loach but had researched them for their potential to eliminate snails. Most sites recommend a group of at least 5, which is why I chose not to get them. Here is a good article on this loach, the need for a group, and the potential for aggression and hiding when kept alone.

http://www.loaches.com/articles/an-i...-keeping-botia

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I screwed up then didn't i
    Journals Here

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    At least you can fix it before anyone dies! :)

Definitely up the harlys first, then neons

Cories are very cool, non-aggressive bottom dwellers.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    Zebra Loaches are too large for a 30g, especially considering they need a school. I would not keep them in anything less than a 55g.

Boesmanni's are highly active large schooling fish which required tanks upward of 75g, alkaline water and very fast current.

The only way to "salvage" the tank is to take the Zebra and Boesmanni's back. And never listen to advice from pet store people.

Dwarf Chain Loaches are a good alternative to Zebras, and they would fit in your tank. You need at least 6. I just got some myself and they are very cute. :)

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to the last two post's.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

9. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I have taken back my lovely Boseman's. I was almost more depressed losing these than I was getting out of some relationships. Maybe I like fish too much. But I agree it's for the best, and will now contribute to schools of Harly rasboras and black neons. Emerald green corys are an option too. Will a betta go wel with 20 characins and 5 or so cory's? I've heard mixed reviews on them: some negative, some positive. Will it be aggressive even if it's the dominant fish?
    Journals Here

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    TO clarify from my last post: the betta I'm thinking of is the Siamese fighting fish. Again, I've heard mixed things.
    Journals Here