· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1000 to cycling w/o fish first
    +1000 to scottishfish on his recommendations too

I'm attempting my second try with Rams-I have a higher pH, and that may have been the downfall of my EBR-but both scottishfish and I had our rams pass about 5 months after their entry into a well established tank (sorry for creeping SF-just remember that post from your journal) so i'm trying rams again w/ plain bolivians this time around.

1: But a welllllll established tank is needed. I almost named my EBR "canary" because if something was going sour in my tank-he'll be the first to show it, and the first to go. honestly after I did a huge remodel/diggin stuff up. I had an ammonia spike-the EBR was the one who let me know something wasn't right b/c of his behavior.

2nd: from my experience with the Rams-how/when you stock is important. some have had good luck w/ Ram + cory cat combos.
    my EBR was in the tank prior to the cory's and he didn't care for them what so ever.
    new bolivians were added after the cory's and they co exist perfectly
    they get along great with any tetra or pleco-dont seem to notice either or in my set up

3rd: not sure about what exists in KY-but i'd check local fish clubs/state clubs/petco/petsmart. My petco actually brings in rams from time to time-some have been EBRs, GBRs, and plain bolivians. can't hurt to call around and see. The other LFS across town from me will actually order in stuff if I request it too. but sadly-never ordered fish online...just dont seem to trust it. seems funny to me to order something like that.

4th: I don't suggest a gourami w/ a ram-tried that out too and that failed quick-had to return my dwarf gourami b/c he just chased and chased and chased my EBR all day long. no bueno.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    You should talk to MandyK she's from your state and may have some leads on healthy fish. One of the best places on line to buy fish is the wet spot tropical fish in portland oregon. Ladyhobbs did a nice sticky in the General Aquarium Forum with links to different mail order places including the one I mentioned.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys, I actually did some hardcore searching for some hobbyist breeders and stores that specialize more in fish and reptiles around town the other day. I got a few leads but haven't checked them out yet, I plan on doing it soon.

I'm also starting my cycling today, hopefully everything goes smoothly. Once my tank is all up and running I think I would also like to get a panda garra, do you think they would do well with GBRs?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 3 female GBRs in my 40 gallon and they get along well with each other and their tankmates, cardinal tetras, emperor tetras, cory cats and otos. you said you wanted to stay away from petsmart but 2 of mine came from there-they started out so small but have grown up quite well. My original gbr has been in the tank for almost a year now. My tank is at 80 degrees and ph 7. I do large twice weekly pwc. They do like eating some of my plants (crypts) which is annoying but they are my favorites in the tank. hope this helps!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm also curious about ordering fish online. I would suggest trying it out with a few inexpensive fish first and if there aren't any issues then order the ones you really want. Also, the Local Fish Store here in Illinois doesn't carry much choice either. But, I have gone to him a few times and asked if he could order a certain fish and the answer is always "Just let me know what type and i'll get it"... That being said, You could also try that if your are feeling a little skeptical about ordering online.

By the way, If you do order online you should start another thread or let us know on this one how it all transpired. (And don't forget to Quarantine whichever method you choose)
    Deleted Profile