· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Water Changes

1. Default Water Changes

0 Not allowed!
    My wife has a 50 gallon tank. We've been using the bucket method but with a tank that size it's getting old fast. I purchased a water changer that hooks up to the faucet but it doesn't fit in the kitchen. Also with the massive amount of water coming our I don't think our sink can take it. I have a hookup right outside that works but my question in about temp of the water when refilling her tank. Since I can't control it should I even bother? The water is cold and I know a rapid temp change will harm or even kill the fish. Any suggestions? Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    If the water coming in is cold, I wouldn't bother :) It needs to be the same temp as the tank water before going into the tank.
    I have 2 55G tanks and I have to bucket water for water changes too. I've figured out how to empty the water without buckets though, I just start the siphon then stick on a big length of garden hose and run it out the door onto the garden. So it's just refilling that requires buckets. I've grown muscles getting the biggest bucket I can fit under the tap just to cut down the amount of trips I need to make from kitchen to the tanks

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

Also, you can turn down the flow a little if your drain can not handle that much flow. I have seen adapter for most water changers to all them to be hooked up to more taps. You might want to look into that maybe ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ++ to Cliff. I found 1 faucet my entire house that the water changer will work on. had to get one with 50 feet of hose but it works great!
    You can always adjust the flow by turning the water down or adjusting the lever on the water changer. If you do find a faucet that will work and haven't bought one, I'd go with the Aquean water changer not the Python. The adapter is much stronger.
    Also - some hardware stores can help you out with an adapter that will fit your particular faucet. worth checking into
    Last edited by fishmommie; 11-04-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There are adapters available to make it work. My faucet had an odd thread and none of my local hardware stores or big box stores had one to fit it. I bought one from amazon. The changer should be 3/4 X 16 thread. You just need to know the thread on your faucet.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll go to my local hardware store and see about an adapter. If not then I'll have some BIG muscles..

0 Not allowed!
    Your wife might appreciate the big muscles BeachBum ;)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I need all the help I can get...